Menu

Quick! What to make with this nasty Hershey's Spread?

AlmiraGulch

My adorable husband bought this Hazelnut Hershey's Spread thinking it would be a fine substitute for Nutella  It isn't.  It's kind of gross, honestly.

We think it might taste fine if baked into something,and the kids are wanting something sweet.  Everything we've looked up so far has ingredients we don't have, like other chips of some sort, or pudding.

Thoughts?  We have all the basic baking ingredients, but no extras.  The oldest hates nuts, and we have no bananas (pointed out because most of the recipes we're finding have bananas).

Thoughts?

Some kind of brownie? I know I've seen Nutella Brownies.

There's a three ingredient brownie recipe.

1/2 cup Nutella

1 egg

5 tablespoons flour

I'd add a dash of salt and vanilla. Mix, bake at 350 in mini muffin tins with liners for 10-12 minutes.

If they are terrible, the extra ingredients are cheap at least.

There's a three ingredient brownie recipe.

1/2 cup Nutella

1 egg

5 tablespoons flour

I'd add a dash of salt and vanilla. Mix, bake at 350 in mini muffin tins with liners for 10-12 minutes.

If they are terrible, the extra ingredients are cheap at least.

We have a winner!  I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

Nutella no bake cookies. Like the peanut butter ones but with nutella.

1 3/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. milk

1/2 c. butter (1 stick)

4 Tbs. cocoa powder

1/2 c. nutella

3 c. quick oats

1 tsp vanilla

Combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Boil for 1 1/2 min. Remove from heat. Add oats, nutella, and vanilla. Put tablespoon sized cookies on wax paper (I flatten them a bit). Let them cool until hardened.

1 3/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. milk

1/2 c. butter (1 stick)

4 Tbs. cocoa powder

1/2 c. nutella

3 c. quick oats

1 tsp vanilla

Combine sugar, milk, butter, and cocoa. Bring to a boil. Boil for 1 1/2 min. Remove from heat. Add oats, nutella, and vanilla. Put tablespoon sized cookies on wax paper (I flatten them a bit). Let them cool until hardened.

This sounds good!  The only problem is this Hershy's-Definitely-Not-Nutella-Spread stuff just doesn't taste very good straight out of the jar.  I wonder if it needs to actually be baked to taste good.  Maybe we'll try it.  I love these no-bake cookies, for sure.

1 3/4 c. sugar

1/2 c. milk

1/2 c. butter (1 stick)

4 Tbs. cocoa powder

1/2 c. nutella

3 c. quick oats

1 tsp vanilla

That was going to be my vote!  The cocoa powder and expectation of some sort of nut butter will sort of save the crushing disappointment of the pseudo-Nutella.  Nutella nobakes don't taste exactly like Nutella.

The brownies actually turned out not awful.  I prefer my brownies (when I eat them, because I don't love chocolate anyway) a bit more dense and chewy. These were more cake-like, but not awful.  

The kids liked them more than I did, though, and since they're the ones that wanted something sweet it turned out ok.  

The brownies actually turned out not awful. I prefer my brownies (when I eat them, because I don't love chocolate anyway) a bit more dense and chewy. These were more cake-like, but not awful.

The kids liked them more than I did, though, and since they're the ones that wanted something sweet it turned out ok.

"Not awful."

That's quite the endorsement! ;)

Guess what I'll never be putting on my shopping list? :D