Menu

Why do some people skip ETC 4?

SkatingMom

When my oldest did ETC 4, I didn't quite understand all the stuff about open/closed syllables. Also, she was already reading fluently and it seemed silly to have her divide the words that she already knew how to read. For my next child, I attempted to skip it, but he couldn't read the multisyllable words in ETC 5 because he had no tools to do so. However, now that I've been through All About Spelling, I have a full understanding of  open/closed syllables and of what they're trying to do. The point is that if you know how to divide the word then you know how to read it. My 6yr old is currently doing ETC 4 1/2 to just give him more practice because he's not yet reading multisyllable words easily. It's been a great help to him, and I think he's finally starting to get it.

We use another phonics program since I needed to start with something we could do orally. We bought ETC 4 specifically to work on syllables, and my son loves it. He was interested in syllables very early, and it really does help him. I learned from the book as well--I didn't really know much about open and closed syllables in spite of heavy phonics instruction as a child. We may do ETC 4 1/2 (review) as well.