Menu

Kindergarten American history....

AimeeM

The person who writes Elemental Science I seem to remember had a cute study. I cannot find the link now but perhaps someone else knows what I am talking about?

My kids (2nd, K, and preschool) are enjoying Mara Pratt's American History Stories.  It is not Catholic, but it is not anti-Catholic (at least not that I have found).  The readings are short.  We read them during breakfast so the kids hands are busy and they listen better.  We also do coloring sheets sometimes while I read for my littles.  For some reason, my littles pay much more attention and get more when they are eating or coloring.  I supplement with picture books.  Here is a good list.

We're doing Adventures in America for first grade, which as far as I know is secular. It's history, narration, and copywork, plus optional crafts and read-Alouds. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

Well, I'm going to guess it isn't popular for kindergarten because of the narration and copywork, lol. We aren't there yet - and my boy hates coloring. It looks very cute, but definitely not up his alley.

We're doing Adventures in America for first grade, which as far as I know is secular. It's history, narration, and copywork, plus optional crafts and read-Alouds. I'm surprised it isn't more popular.

I used it for my 2nd grader!

Nobody has mentioned the Childhood of Famous Americans biographies yet.

I haven't read them to the current K'er or reread them to myself since I read Zinn when ds1 was in high school, so there might be a very good reason for that....

Well, I'm going to guess it isn't popular for kindergarten because of the narration and copywork, lol. We aren't there yet - and my boy hates coloring. It looks very cute, but definitely not up his alley.

It doesn't actually have narration scheduled (I don't think!) just a few comprehension questions for each section & 1 sentence of copywork.

A couple of the Draw Write Now books have American history topics that my son enjoyed in k.

Even though you don't like the rest of the curriculum, you might also check out the Elemental History book schedule.