Menu

Another Edition of Why I May Never Go to Australia

AlmiraGulch

Then how do you kill all the snakes?

We aren't allowed to, most of them are protected as a native species. (We use a shovel aimed at the neck to sever the head at our house.)

They can be picked up if you know how. The way snake catchers do it is with a big stick and a cloth bag, then release them out in the bushland, but I have seen them picked up by hand. You have to grab them high at the back of the 'head'.

Most of those pictures are the same as the first thread :p And, again, no platypus! But they did include a few more sea creatures this time. Oh, and DH thought the bucket of funnel webs was horrible. That's scary, and exactly why outdoor buckets and containers get stored cautiously at our house.

We have lots of snakes were we live, and in the surrounding bush. It is because we live very close to the estuary, plus lots of swampy (in wet times) areas , plus a watercourse, which means lots of frogs which are snake food.

I personally like snakes and leave them alone, my DH cannot stand them and uses a shovel, my boys use a long stick. My boys have found shooting snakes to not be very effective, a stick works much better.

snakes are actually a protected species ,and you are not meant to kill them.

Snake don't bother me, either, as long as they don't come into my house or other places I frequent.  

I do admit these things can happen anywhere.  About 100 years ago I worked at a very large retailer in South Florida.  We had a period where several (10, maybe?) people were bitten by rattlesnakes in our garden center.  They were pygmy rattlers that would curl up and hide inside some of the plants, likely before they even left the supplier.  Then when people would reach in to feel the soil they'd get bitten. 

Many, many times we had to close the garden center and administer first aid to people, sometimes children who almost didn't make it.  

Snake don't bother me, either, as long as they don't come into my house or other places I frequent.  

I do admit these things can happen anywhere.  About 100 years ago I worked at a very large retailer in South Florida.  We had a period where several (10, maybe?) people were bitten by rattlesnakes in our garden center.  They were pygmy rattlers that would curl up and hide inside some of the plants, likely before they even left the supplier.  Then when people would reach in to feel the soil they'd get bitten. 

Many, many times we had to close the garden center and administer first aid to people, sometimes children who almost didn't make it.  

Aaaaaaaand Florida just got added to my list of "Places To Which I Will Never Move"

Thank goodness I grew up in Kenya, where we were allowed to kill any and all snakes we wanted/needed to.

And I disagree......we are meant to kill them!  :crying:

We had a dog go blind from a spitting cobra, a classmate die from a black mamba bite, and many puff adder incidences that were not pretty, but thankfully did not end in death.

I am trying to get used to black snakes being non-poisonous and helpful here in NC.  Where I grew up, black snakes were the deadliest sort.

Dawn

We have lots of snakes were we live, and in the surrounding bush. It is because we live very close to the estuary, plus lots of swampy (in wet times) areas , plus a watercourse, which means lots of frogs which are snake food.

I personally like snakes and leave them alone, my DH cannot stand them and uses a shovel, my boys use a long stick. My boys have found shooting snakes to not be very effective, a stick works much better.

snakes are actually a protected species ,and you are not meant to kill them.