Menu

Shakespeare for elementary level?

We are finishing up SOTW 2 and just read the chapter about Shakespeare that includes the synopsis of Macbeth. My kids (10, 8, & 5) LOVED it, begging me to tell them what would happen next! Considering that my undergrad degree was English and that I was a bit obsessed with the Bard, I was thrilled.

My question is, have any of you used a curriculum or book that has Shakespeare's works on the elementary level? Not just a re-telling of the story, but with some of the lines kept intact, especially the well-known ones. I guess something that would ease them into Shakespeare.

DS really liked Edcon Classic Worktexts "Julius Caesar". I was surprised because it's workbook-y but I guess he really got into the story part. I'm planning on using a couple more next year. Oldest DD is using Parallel Text Shakespeare and she has already requested Macbeth. I'm going to have the kids do one of the comedies as well, and I'll probably let DS choose which one.

We have used No Fear Shakespeare, which puts the unabridged version right next to the "translated" version. And we have used Shakespeare Stories. With my 10 &9 year old we read the story version first, then we read the real thing with each of the children picking a part to read. They LOVE it!!

We have used No Fear Shakespeare, which puts the unabridged version right next to the "translated" version.

I looked at No Fear Shakespeare but went with Parallel Text Shakespeare for my 6th grader because of the workbooks with discussion questions and the TG.

I looked at No Fear Shakespeare but went with Parallel Text Shakespeare for my 6th grader because of the workbooks with discussion questions and the TG.

I am going to write that one down for the future when we decide to study it a little more in depth. :)

We're in the middle of Parallel Text Shakespeare "Julius Caesar" now. My DD can do it, but she's not enjoying it. She doesn't like the play ("Brutus is too angsty!" "Caesar's death in Act III is anti-climactic!", etc., etc.) I picked it because it goes along with our study of ancient history this year, but I'm kind of regretting the choice.

We have used Usborne's Stories from Shakespeare.  It is a book of short retellings - more of a beginning plot synopsis - so that my son could choose one to see in greater depth.  From there we went with the Young Reader's Shakespeare by Sterling Publishing.  The books are meant to read like a story (not to be acted like a play) and in that sense are retellings, but much of the famous lines and dialog are very similar to the original.  Our library has the series, so you might want to check it out.  Amazon also sells them for under 5 dollars a piece.  There are at least five of the works in the Young Reader's Series, and I think they are trying to produce all the major biggies over the next couple years.

MacBeth: http://www.amazon.com/Young-Readers-Shakespeare-Macbeth/dp/1402711166/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1397880291&sr=1-1&keywords=Young+Readers+Shakespeare%3A+MacBeth

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by Edith Nesbit

(slightly easier)

or Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb

We've used Beautiful Stories from 1st grade-5th and Tales from Shakespeare from about 3 grade on up till they are ready to read the real thing in middle school.  We didn't get study guides or anything, just read them.  I would explain vocab as we were reading.  If the amount of characters/relationships between characters became too complicated, we'd draw it out on the white board or use stuffed animals to help keep it straight (thinking of your younger ones for this.)  My kids loved it.

Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare by Edith Nesbit

(slightly easier)

or Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb

We've used Beautiful Stories from 1st grade-5th and Tales from Shakespeare from about 3 grade on up till they are ready to read the real thing in middle school.  We didn't get study guides or anything, just read them.  I would explain vocab as we were reading.  If the amount of characters/relationships between characters became too complicated, we'd draw it out on the white board or use stuffed animals to help keep it straight (thinking of your younger ones for this.)  My kids loved it.

I love the stuffed animal idea, brilliant! My dd would love picking the stuffed animal to match the character.

Thanks so much, everyone! While looking at all the suggestions, I noticed that amazon has the kindle version of Tales from Shakespeare free. I just downloaded it and will probably also get Beautiful Stories from Shakespeare--they look like we will love them.

http://www.amazon.com/Tales-Shakespeare-Mary-Lamb-ebook/dp/B0082Z1QQM/ref=tmm_kin_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1397929676&sr=8-1

I second Bruce Coville’s picture books.

Shakespeare: The Animated Tales (BBC) – 1/2 hour cartoons based on 12 of Shakespeare’s plays.  Macbeth is one of the twelve. We enjoyed A Midsummer Night’s Dream.    

Shakespeare’s Storybook: Folk Tales that Inspired the Bard  - the stories behind The Taming of the Shrew, Romeo and Juliet, The Merchant of Venice, As You Like it, Hamlet, King Lear, and the Winter’s Tale.  

We have used Nesbit, Lamb, the Usborne book and Colville's picture books, plus whatever exposure to plays puppet shows etc that we can get. Dd8 has some Shakespeare in her memory work. She also read the Diane Stanley bio.

We have linked appropriate Shakespeare plays with our history studies in SOTW.

Our library system has a puppet theater and full time puppeteers. Every few years they do a Shakespeare year which includes The Tempest, A Midsummer Night's Dream and Hamlet.

The Redeemed Reader website has had a bunch of posts recently about Shakespeare.

My girls are 10&8 and we are reading A Mid Summer Night's Dream. They were already familiar with the story because we read Lamb's version last year, watched the BBC animated version, and even a Mickey Mouse version I found on YouTube. We are reading a scene a day and we talk about it and act it our with our Lego people as we read it and then recap the scene when we are done for the day. We are having a good time.

My girls are 10&8 and we are reading A Mid Summer Night's Dream. They were already familiar with the story because we read Lamb's version last year, watched the BBC animated version, and even a Mickey Mouse version I found on YouTube. We are reading a scene a day and we talk about it and act it our with our Lego people as we read it and then recap the scene when we are done for the day. We are having a good time.

This is awesome!

I have run a Shakespeare play for the kids to perform in three years now - I took a break this year because it's a big undertaking.  Last year, we performed at the Folger Children's Festival and that was a special experience to be on stage at the Folger's Globe recreation theater.

For scripts, I really like Shakespeare with Children.  The language is mostly original with a narrator part added for continuity.  I've tweaked them each time though.  I think performing Shakespeare is the way to go.

Beyond that, I second the Coville picture books as the best "children's version" and you can find the BBC Animated Shakespeare on Youtube - some of them have pretty cheesy production values, but they also use the original language just really shortened.