Menu

favorite all-in-one or supplementary workbooks?

We're taking a cross-country trip this summer and I'm thinking about getting the kids some workbooks to do in the car--not as an assignment, but as a way to pass the time if they want to. Yes, I think at least a couple of my kids would do workbooks to pass the time. Any good ones out there? I'm thinking of the big fat grade level ones, or summer bridge kind of things, though other ideas would be welcome.

Kumon has workbooks for all kinds of things. There's also fancy dot-to-dot books, or the Dover coloring books (some of the spaces are tiny, good for fine motor skill development), or the Never Bored Kid books. Maybe a couple of the CLE light units? CAP's Writing & Rhetoric student books are workbooks, as is Wordsmith Apprentice. There are also tons of logic books, like the ones from Tin Man Press.

We try to keep a few logic books in the car, like mind benders, 5 minute mysteries, Sudoku,etc. My son has been getting into codes so anything with codes to break he loves. Dover coloring books are great, especially if it's about something we studied.

I am assuming you have some maps. :)  Of course you do, just throwing that out there.  It might also be fun to get a workbook on the states. They could check things off, look things up as you move from state to state. Inking in your route on a map is good, too.  Keeping a log/journal of where you stop etc., might also be fun.  Pasting postcards, tickets, maps etc into a scrapbook is nice. Probably already doing that as well.

PS Glow-in-the-dark Silly Putty/GAk can be very helpful in passing some night hours.

One workbook my kid recently enjoyed was 100 Math Activities Kids Need to Do By 2nd Grade. I think they have reading books too, and various grades, of course.

Despite the title, it actually is 2nd grade math, not a before-2nd-grade-math book. It introduced multiplication and division.

The nice thing about it is that it is really fun, for a workbook. By solving the equations you figure out clues which help you solve the answer to (really bad groaner) riddles and jokes. And there's some coloring, especially in the fractions section. And some fun things with units of measurements and money.

I've used other workbooks to bridge his math as well, and that one is the only one I thought wasn't half bad.

Anything from the Critical Thinking Company is on my list, however, they are pricy as a consumable. The license allows for photocopying as they are marketed to schools, and the price tag reflects that. If you are willing to cut off the binding and photocopy a book for each child I would definitely look at their various ranges.