Menu

Sonlighters---- opinions on Core F

,Please give me your opinion about core F.

I have the option to do Core F for my 7th grader next year-- (she has already done G&H with me and her sister). I was hoping to have her do F all by herself with very little help from me--- she isn't a very independent worker, but I need to push her out of the nest and I really need to spend time with the youngers. 

I have heard from others that F was their favorite core--- but recently I have been hearing less than favorable reviews.   This is the new core and it will actually be from Book Shark (secular SL)  but it is the newer version if that makes a difference and I have the SL IG and books if I want to unsecularize it.

Thanks --- Lara

We are on our second pass through core F, and we still love it!    It is definitely one of our favorite cores, though I've had to simplify the EHE for my 5th grader.  (I had bought extras of EHE before, so I did not switch over to the newer EHN.)      The EHN does make it different, but the majority of the books are still great.  We have added most of the newer books, though I did not upgrade my IG, and we love them just as much.    I'm sure not everyone loves it, but it's been a really good thing for us.

What did you all do to secularism it? I love the idea of Sonlight and have tried it in the past but found I had to tweak so much of it that I basically wasn't even using the program anymore.

Just get Bookshark in june... its secular sonlight....but you just take out the religous content and add in something to cover the info in the item removed.

We loved the books in Core F. The research portion & the world book, not so much. So we adapted in order to still learn about the countries, but not have to use WB. :) We did it last year with our 12 year old, but I think with an even older student they'd get more from it to be honest. Having said that my 12 year old isn't as independent as most due to vision issues.