Menu

Wisdom teeth removal ?? for teen....

Prairie~Phlox

Teens seems to bounce back pretty quickly I think.  My daughter just had hers out in February.  I planned it for a Friday so that she'd have the weekend to recover before class on Monday.  But, she was already up and out the door on Saturday.  My daughter's were impacted and she was put under too.

That being said, she may feel swollen and still in some pain and not wanting to have to talk to people a lot.  Is her job as a waitress or something that's out there, with customer service?  If it's a quiet office job (or something like that) I think she'd probably be okay, but if it isn't she might want more time.

recovery varies - and how much digging has to be done to get them out.  I would reschedule either work or getting the teeth out.  she may be okay, but do you really want to risk it?  how fast does she typically recover from things?   I have one who bounced back really fast (after breaking his collar bone, he had his arm out of the sling and was typing away), and another who was very slow (after breaking her collar bone - I had to help her with general self-care and wait on her for the better part of a week). and their breaks were similar.  they were much the same when they had their wisdom teeth out.

All three of my girls had their Wisdom Teeth out as teenagers.  Two of them had a quick recovery, but one did take a lot longer.  Going to work less than two days after surgery may be a bit much.  Is this a physical job where she's on her feet a lot, or one where she's sitting?  That makes a difference, too.

I'd say get the teeth out and plan on the weekend for recovery. My DD had general anesthesia plus more meds on top to control her seizures so her recovery was different. She slept most of the day for day 1and 2 post-OP. Day 3 it was like her nerves woke up or something and she had worse/different pain, more like all over her jaw, neck, etc.

HTH

I agree with others, this depends on a lot of different factors.  In my case my roots were incredibly long and all 4 were badly impacted  so it took extreme effort to get them out.  I was puffed up, swollen, and a bit miserable for about 3 days...and had to go to work a few hours after the procedure, doing a lot of movement and pushing of heavy things.  Really bad mistake.  But my brother did great.  A little sore, a little puffy, but ready to go the next day.

I'm going to call and reschedule, she'll be on her feet all day. 

Glad to see you've already decided. I was going to recommend rescheduling too. Each person's recovery can be so different.

Both my sons got their teeth out as teens and had very different recoveries. Ds1 got his teeth out on a Friday, dragged around the house all weekend but had enough energy to get himself to college--where he had only one class that day--on the following Monday. Fortunately his high school was on break. I don't think he'd have had enough energy to be sitting in classes all day. Part of that may be that he was developing an infection in one of the sockets.

Ds2 slept about 20 hours after he came home from surgery, and when he woke up the next day he was fine. Full of energy, only his jaw muscles were sore. Otherwise he just resumed most of his normal activities right away. Fastest recovery ever!

I had mine removed when I finished with the Orthodontist, when I was in High School, during a Christmas vacation. The Orthodontist suggested that I have them removed at my convenience, because if I did not, he guaranteed that when I was older I was going to have problems. It was not a fun experience.  I would suggest that your DD has it done when she has more time to recuperate. Much GL to her.

FWIW IMHO, you made a great decision in rescheduling her appointment.  :hurray:

My dd1 (22)  just had her wisdom teeth extracted two weeks ago,   Three of the four were removed rather effortlessly, however, according to her oral surgeon,  the fourth one was a complete train wreck.  My dd did well for two and a half days and then we hit the proverbial wall.  When I practice, I'm a nurse and her pain level was a legitimate "9."'  Not good. Post op complications with that one particular tooth and she was at home in bed and in pain for almost two weeks.  You just never know. 

Good luck to your dd!

I had my wisdom teeth out at 19, they  ere also impacted. The recovery wasn't too bad, but the pain relievers made me vomit, so I had to do without and I handled it okay. But my face was very bruised and swollen looking for quite some time. After 2 or 3 days (I don't remember how long really), I went back to work in a department store,  one of my coworkers told me I shouldn't have returned to work because I looked ugly. I also had a customer discreetly tell me I might need to see a doctor. So, the bruising was the worst for me.