Menu

Fun on Easter. . . if it's just us -- no family?

Alicia64

I'd love some out of the box ideas that doesn't involve grandmas and grandpas and cousins for Easter brunch. We live a solid 3,000 miles from everyone.

​

​We'll do an egg hunt on Easter morning and will have special cinnamon rolls. But, aside from that, I'm not sure what to do to make Easter special. The day before Easter we're doing some fun community events that make the weekend itself special, but I'd love to do something that would make Easter day fun.

​

​Any suggestions?

​

​Thanks,

​

​Alley

We have a fairly early, very joyful church service.  Then the high schoolers serve an Easter breakfast.  (I hate this custom.  Yes, just when kids are questioning their faith and getting ready to leave home, let's make sure that they have a miserable Easter to remember.)  (So I insist that although DD will help with this, she will sit down and eat with us, and no, she is not going to skip church for it, no matter how behind you are.  The tail does not wag the dog, especially at the High Feast.)

Then we go back home and start working on Easter dinner, which is always lamb, roasted potatoes, a great salad, fresh strawberries (they just come ripe then), asparagus, and a cheese plate with at least 3 awesome cheeses, and some kind of superb dessert.  But we also plant a fruit tree (this year's will be a pomegranate) and go for a hike in God's wild nature.  We talk about new life and our pleasure in it.  It is awesome. 

Our family lived across the country from every single relative growing up, but I have no memories of holidays feeling boring.  I would do some kind of a special Easter dinner -- or BBQ or even a picnic depending on where you live!  You can decorate and use the special dishes, or whatever.  When the kids help with this, it becomes a family activity and can take up a lot of time!  Can you play some games together as a family?  I don't know if you're Christian, but I love those old Bible movies (some of them are a little cheesy, but I still like them).  That would be a nice way to end the day, perhaps.

Oh, have you colored Easter eggs already?  If not, that's something else you can do.  There are a lot of very creative ways of doing that these days.  You can experiment and make your own dyes with plants and vegetables, or use brown eggs and color designs on them with a white marker.

I hear you!  James Bond won't even be here (for the 3rd Easter in a row), because he's currently on assignment in Hawaii (don't you feel bad for him?).  We generally don't do much, but they boys get stuff in their baskets that keep them busy.  Of course being atheists, Easter is just about fun for us.  I would do an egg hunt for Han Solo, but our yard is about the size of a garage, so there aren't many places to hide them.   I had thought we might go to the park, but it's supposed to be raining.  Boo.  Maybe we'll make popcorn and watch HOP.

I hear you!  James Bond won't even be here (for the 3rd Easter in a row), because he's currently on assignment in Hawaii (don't you feel bad for him?).  We generally don't do much, but they boys get stuff in their baskets that keep them busy.  Of course being atheists, Easter is just about fun for us.  I would do an egg hunt for Han Solo, but our yard is about the size of a garage, so there aren't many places to hide them.   I had thought we might go to the park, but it's supposed to be raining.  Boo.  Maybe we'll make popcorn and watch HOP.

Or The 10 Commandments...which, as a child, I always associated with Easter. ;)

Everyone gets a can of silly string and we have a silly string fight.

Buy silly toys  (like cheap balsa wood airplanes) kites, and those army men with parachutes.

Nerf guns and yard darts, ---

if the weather is good we play outside doing silly things all day

If the weather is bad, we stay in a rent a lot movies

This year, we won't be at church on Easter morning, :sad: but we are looking forward to our day still. The last few years I have been buying new board games for Easter and then we play them during the day. This year, we'll wake up to cinnamon rolls, then go through the Easter baskets that have a few goodies in them, do our Easter egg hunt in our newly landscaped backyard (woohoo!!!!), and then probably play the new board games and do some finish up work around the yard. The games I got this year were Yahtzee and Settlers of Catan. We also recently got Take Off, so we may play that one, too. I also just bought The Hobbit this afternoon to surprise DH with, so we'll probably watch that in the evening. A nice little (immediate) family day.

We are going to church, and then we are going out to eat.  There is a restaurant that we have all been wanting to go to ( it's a little pricey, so it's been a couple of years since we were there).  Then we are going to come home and play board games or go for a hike.  I'm super excited about the low key day.  We have been crazy busy lately.

Make a special" treasure map" that the kids have to find certain places you have hidden the prizes ( eggs, or whatever).

Buy premade Easter dough to bake cookies

You could plant flowers in your yard together.

We do church with special Easter outfits, egg hunts, people for church over for dinner, Easter baskets, etc.

I've never been into the coloring eggs thing, just seems like too much work ;)

We have a lot going on that day since we are in charge of the music. So, we are eating with my folks, visiting for a short period of time, coming home for short naps, and then taking a nature hike down our favorite trail which leads to a small, inland lake and swampy area. The geese and wood ducks have returned, the tree frogs will be out in force, and lots of small, interesting creatures will be about. We'll also pick wild asparagus and fiddlehead ferns to cook.