Menu

Vent about neighborhood dogs

Moxie

We moved into this house a year ago.  I like my neighbors but I hate their dogs!! 

It drives me insane that they all come home from work, open the front door and let their dogs roam and poop all over the neighborhood.  I've talked to them about the poop in our yard and they all blame the other guy's dog. 

It makes me angry that I can't sit in my own yard without a dumb dog trying to smell me.

It makes me really angry that they freak my 2yo out by running around our yard.

If I could fence the yard, I would but we live on a cul-de-sac with a side loading garage and there is really no way to put up a fence. 

People, if you have a dog and neighbors, you need to assume your neighbors don't want your precious pooch in their yard unless they specifically tell you otherwise.

Is there a leash law in your area? 

It would drive me nuts to have other dogs running around loose.  I have a dog, but he is never out unleashed.  Most of the people here keep their dogs on leash but there is one woman who walks her dog without the leash.  Once he came running up as I was walking out the front door with my (leashed) dog. My dog is not social with other dogs and went nuts having this dog in his face.  The dog responded pretty quickly to his owner and left quickly but it was still frustrating.  I should have reminded her of the leash law but was busy dealing with my own dog and failed to do that.

So, I'm sorry, but I would look into leash laws.  Loose dogs are a hazard in so many ways!

Your neighbors are rude.  Can you call animal control? I have two neighbors who walk their dogs off leash, and I personally don't mind, because they are always with the dogs and always pick up their poop.  But even so, one of them mentioned that animal control has come by and told them that someone had complained about it and reminded them of the leash laws. I was actually surprised that animal control has time to do that, and I don't know how it is in your area, but you might give it a try. 

I love dogs, but it's not safe to do what these neighbors are doing.  It's not fair to the dog, it's not fair to the other neighbors, it's lazy. 

We have lots of dogs on our cul-de-sac and not one has roamed free into my yard in 12 years. Leash laws are just obeyed here. I've never had to complain.

My neighbor complained about my dog once. He hated to do it, but I was letting the dog out late at night and there is a corner of our yard that's near his bedroom window. If the dog barked, his wife would wake and have trouble sleeping. I'm so glad he told me. I didn't know the barking was that loud or that their BR was on the ground floor. I didn't realize how early they went to bed. Now if we let the dog out late at night, we stand guard and make sure he doesn't bark. I'm soooooo glad he let us know and we were able to fix the situation.

Call animal control.  I am a HUGE dog lover and I wouldn't tolerate other people's dogs in my yard.  If I don't know the dog personally and it is around my children I assume it is not friendly.  No amount of an owner telling me otherwise will change my mind.  I am also not against picking up the poop and throwing into the neighbors yard, even in front of the neighbors.

We have two neighbors who do this. Drives me nuts!!! They are both super nice and I like them a lot, but they really don't get that I do not want their dogs in our yard. They are totally clueless.

This is my situation. We like the people. We've mentioned the dog issues to them. They are just clueless.

While I'm venting, I'll add to it. Why would two people who work full time want to get a puppy when they already have a dog? I don't get it.

We moved into this house a year ago. I like my neighbors but I hate their dogs!!

It drives me insane that they all come home from work, open the front door and let their dogs roam and poop all over the neighborhood. I've talked to them about the poop in our yard and they all blame the other guy's dog.

It makes me angry that I can't sit in my own yard without a dumb dog trying to smell me.

If I could fence the yard, I would but we live on a cul-de-sac with a side loading garage and there is really no way to put up a fence.

People, if you have a dog and neighbors, you need to assume your neighbors don't want your precious pooch in their yard unless they specifically tell you otherwise.

Have you told them you don't want their dogs in your yard, at all, period? It's not just about the dog poop. They are also scaring your young child, and you have a right to enjoy your own yard without their dogs bothering you. I would definitely find out about the leash law, but even if you don't have one, I still don't think they have a right to let their dogs run into your yard,

Wow, no leash laws?  True when I was a kid I remember you could barely walk down the street because there were dogs that would bark at you and run into the street after you.  But I haven't seen anything like that in years.  There are no loose dogs here now.  A lot of people have invisible fences.  When my dog escaped a few weeks ago, it was much easier to get him reported in because people know there's something wrong when they see a loose dog.  It was also much easier to trap him because I didn't have to worry about anyone else's dog finding its way into the cage. 

I had no idea there were even many dogs on my street until I went knocking on everyone's doors that day he got loose (to ask them to call if they saw him), and at almost every house I was greeted with barking.  If all those dogs were roaming the neighborhood...?  I shudder to think.  I'd call animal control...

My neighbor complained about my dog once. He hated to do it, but I was letting the dog out late at night and there is a corner of our yard that's near his bedroom window. If the dog barked, his wife would wake and have trouble sleeping. I'm so glad he told me. I didn't know the barking was that loud or that their BR was on the ground floor. I didn't realize how early they went to bed. Now if we let the dog out late at night, we stand guard and make sure he doesn't bark. I'm soooooo glad he let us know and we were able to fix the situation.

You, Panda, are an awesome pet owner.

When I was pregnant, I literally had to go stay with my parents a few days to get some sleep without our neighbor's dog waking me up at 3 in the morning for literally hours at a time.  "What ya' want us to do? Dogs bark!" :glare:  When we finally called animal control, they cussed out the animal control officers and then a policeman.  It only stopped when the dog "disappeared", but I think another neighbor may have actually let the dog loose.  Horrible!

This is my situation. We like the people. We've mentioned the dog issues to them. They are just clueless.

While I'm venting, I'll add to it. Why would two people who work full time want to get a puppy when they already have a dog? I don't get it.

As a dog person my answer to your question is why not? I got a puppy while I already had a dog and I had a 2 month old! Some people don't see adding another dog to the family as extra work, I know I don't. But my sister who is not a dog person thinks I'm crazy for having 2.

Oh that would make me angry. My husband was attacked by two different dogs, on different occasions, as a child, so he does not trust any dogs he doesn't know, ever.

We were at the park recently, and in this big children's playground area. Someone brought this HUGE, overexcited dog in and let him run loose, and proceeded to laugh and chat with friends as they watched him run in crazy circles with the children (not their children, I'm pretty sure they were childless, they just brought their dog to run leash free in the childrens playground). I'm sure he was the friendliest dog in the world, but he could still do some major damage if he ran into my 18mo at speed, which very nearly happened, and many dogs will get overexcited in that kind of situation and, in their play, nip or otherwise hurt someone. Did I mention he was HUGE? I, and a number of other people I noticed with very little ones, quietly got up and collected their children after the initial near miss with my toddler.

I love animals. That does not mean I want your animal playing with my children tyvm. There are places in lots of parks, fenced in, with 'playgrounds' for dogs. He belongs there.

Because dogs are social, pack animals.  Many of them can tolerate being home alone eight to twelve hours a day, but it's not an optimal situation.  Most do much better with a buddy.

Regarding the loose dogs -- I'm a huge dog lover, and that would make me very mad, too.  I figure I keep my dogs in my yard and all my neighbors should do the same.  I don't even let my dogs step in another yard when we're out walking.  We stay on the road.

Since you like your neighbors I'd try to handle the situation w/o calling animal control if possible.  Try taking pictures of their dogs in the act of pooping in your yard and when you have several pictures of each dog try talking to the owners again.  And motion activated sprinklers are a very good idea.  If those things don't work, then I wouldn't hesitate to call animal control.

If I was out in my yard and a neighbor's dog came over, I would take the dog by the collar and return him to his owners. I'd knock and say "your dog is in my yard, scaring my dd". Rinse and repeat until they get the message.

I would hate it if random dogs were in my yard on a daily basis.

, they just brought their dog to run leash free in the childrens playground). I'm sure he was the friendliest dog in the world,

I like dogs - and lean toward big dogs.  (dh doesn't like dogs - so we currently don't have one.)  but this is something that has really angered me in the past.  dudeling was deathly afraid of dogs when he was little. not because something happened - but because he has anxiety.  ** we'd go to the park - where they have signs saying to leash your dog - and the dogs are running free.

** he was outside playing in our yard when I heard him screaming like the world had just ended.  a neighbors bichon friese puppy came over to play.  he was very happy at the prospect of playing, wagging, licking me after I picked dudeling up. (and dudeling was trying to climb up on my shoulders to get away from it.)

Invisible fences won't break the bank for dog owners and are pretty effective so there is no reason your neighbors can't do something about their wandering dogs.  Our dog is behind an invisible fence and I wouldn't be without it. My sister has an invisible fence that doesn't involve installing wires in the ground but works instead from a central location.  It is even portable. Your neighbors have no excuse.

If I was out in my yard and a neighbor's dog came over, I would take the dog by the collar and return him to his owners. I'd knock and say "your dog is in my yard, scaring my dd". Rinse and repeat until they get the message.

I would hate it if random dogs were in my yard on a daily basis.

Yes. Please do this. Strange dogs running around is not safe with a 2 year old. And she should be able to enjoy her yard without being scared.

I'd be sitting there with a Super Soaker...with something oily and stinky in it. Let the neighbors know in advance that if they can't keep the dogs out of your yard you will be trying to discourage them yourself with a smelly spray to make them avoid your yard.  Then go for it.

Obviously, do not use anything toxic to dog or child, just smelly.  I figure oil-based would be harder for neighbors to remove ;-)  Maybe add a vegetable dye....????

Even when the dog generally stays in the front yard, why do my neighbors use their front yard instead of the back?  I hate it when I am walking my dog and someone lets their dog out the front door.  We have back yards.  That have fences.  But their dog sees my dog, and comes bounding up.  Yes, their dog is probably friendly and tiny.  But mine is a large dog from a shelter that had never been socialized while young.  Just left in the backyard 24/7/365 without walks.  I take responsibility for my dog.  I keep her away from other dogs.  I keep her under control, and on a short leash.  But don't give me the stink eye when I yell at your loose dog to keep it away from us.  

Even when the dog generally stays in the front yard, why do my neighbors use their front yard instead of the back?  I hate it when I am walking my dog and someone lets their dog out the front door.  We have back yards.  That have fences.  But their dog sees my dog, and comes bounding up.  

Is the dog coming out of the yard?  Or is it staying in the yard behind an electric fence but aggravating your own dog?

I let my dog use the front yard the same as the back - I don't know why.  To be honest it never occurred to me that anyone has a strong preference as to where my dog should be in his own yard, as long as he stays IN his yard.  But if it's coming out of the yard, I don't blame you at all for being annoyed. 

I do want to say that you yelling at the dog might actually be something that raises your own dog's sense of alarm.  If the dog is coming out of the yard, I might yell too!  But if you know the dog will stay behind a line, you might want to work on how to get your own dog to be less reactive.  I know it's not easy, though. I had a rescue dog who I never could train to accept some things - including the sound of a crackling fire, which was terrible because we loved taking her camping.  I did think I would mention it though. 

I can't fathom letting my dog out to just roam. That's a great way to lose a dog.

​

​I'm a huge dog lover, but I want to give you this humane solution: have the hose, turn it on and spray the dogs. At some point they'll bypass your yard all together because there is bad stuff that happens there (squirting water).

​

​Even better: give the dogs a bath and you'll never see them again.

It drives me insane that they all come home from work, open the front door and let their dogs roam and poop all over the neighborhood.  I've talked to them about the poop in our yard and they all blame the other guy's dog. 

Really, I think your best solution is to take your child and go inside or in your backyard when the neighbors come home.    You said "they ALL come home from work . . . "  You are the one not fitting in.  They have made it clear that they have no interest in changing their dogs' behavior.  You are not going to change them, this IS the neighborhood.

It also doesn't seem worth it to get so agitated.  Honestly, I would be so pissed off and angry about this every single day that it would rob me of any joy being outside with my kid. So you win one by scaring away a dog with a hose or whatever.  It's only temporary.  They'll be back. 

It also can't be any fun for your child to see you getting so upset

We had a neighbor for five years whose dog NEVER went in his own yard.  He would walk with his dog two doors down to a public area pathway.  If the weather was super cold, he'd stand on his porch while the dog went.  He cleaned up the poop perhaps two times in those five years.  I guilted his ex-wife into doing it when she dogsat.  Every few months, my husband would power wash the area where the dog peed to remove the strong urine smell.  Some neighbors even arranged for the city to post a "Dogs on Leash/Clean Up After Your Dog" sign, but he ignored it entirely.

For everything else, he was a great neighbor, and despite this one thing, we became really good friends.  We'd rib him about it, but he'd just laugh and do nothing.  We lived with it. At least he wasn't the psycho neighbor/neighborhood watch captain who had his friends park IN our driveway, and threatened us after he refused to move his motorhome off the street.

Hopefully, you are just renting?

Really, I think your best solution is to take your child and go inside or in your backyard when the neighbors come home.    You said "they ALL come home from work . . . "  You are the one not fitting in.  They have made it clear that they have no interest in changing their dogs' behavior.  You are not going to change them, this IS the neighborhood.

It also doesn't seem worth it to get so agitated.  Honestly, I would be so pissed off and angry about this every single day that it would rob me of any joy being outside with my kid. So you win one by scaring away a dog with a hose or whatever.  It's only temporary.  They'll be back. 

It also can't be any fun for your child to see you getting so upset

We had a neighbor for five years whose dog NEVER went in his own yard.  He would walk with his dog two doors down to a public area pathway.  If the weather was super cold, he'd stand on his porch while the dog went.  He cleaned up the poop perhaps two times in those five years.  I guilted his ex-wife into doing it when she dogsat.  Every few months, my husband would power wash the area where the dog peed to remove the strong urine smell.  Some neighbors even arranged for the city to post a "Dogs on Leash/Clean Up After Your Dog" sign, but he ignored it entirely.

For everything else, he was a great neighbor, and despite this one thing, we became really good friends.  We'd rib him about it, but he'd just laugh and do nothing.  We lived with it. At least he wasn't the psycho neighbor/neighborhood watch captain who had his friends park IN our driveway, and threatened us after he refused to move his motorhome off the street.

Hopefully, you are just renting?

I'm perplexed by your attitude.

It's not the neighborhood. It's her private property. If she wanted a pet, she would buy one herself. She does not have to put up with other peoples' pets in her yard just because they live next to each other.

I am also totally thrown by the idea that the OP has to go inside when other peoples' pets are on her private property???

We are also talking about her child. By law, she should not have to protect her child from other peoples' pets.

Just because people do not have manners does not mean their choices are either legal or ethical. Just because a behavior is normal among a group of people does not mean that behavior is legal or ethical.

Could you go to the front yard earlier in the day and spend that chaotic time out back or inside? That isn't a real solution and isn't fair, but it might make it less frustrating to just avoid them. I'm not sure what you can do that you haven't already tried, though spraying the dogs with a power hose blast every time they come into your yard might discourage them. I don't think trying to corral the dogs and return them to their owners will do much good, and I know I wouldn't feel comfortable grabbibg a strange dog. Have you complained to animal control?

I'm perplexed by your attitude.

It's not the neighborhood. It's her private property. If she wanted a pet, she would buy one herself. She does not have to put up with other peoples' pets in her yard just because they live next to each other.

I am also totally thrown by the idea that the OP has to go inside when other peoples' pets are on her private property???

We are also talking about her child. By law, she should not have to protect her child from other peoples' pets.

Just because people do not have manners does not mean their choices are either legal or ethical. Just because a behavior is normal among a group of people does not mean that behavior is legal or ethical.

I'm sorry, you are right.  I have been reading it as the OP first stated, "They ALL come home from work," but reading very closely, it appears it is only one neighbor and not all of them.  I thought that this was a problem with ALL of the neighbors, and I was answering it as such.  No wonder why you were so perplexed!

That is totally different, she's no longer the lone minority. She's only dealing with one set of neighbors who are clueless. 

If I had a problem like this, I would heed the suggestion about taking the dog by the collar and taking it back home (assuming they are collared).

I know how frustrating neighbor issues are. It can suck a lot of joy out of living somewhere. 

OP, I'd forgotten about this, because our situation was very different.  We lived on acreage in the woods, and our new neighbors ran a path between our driveways using our driveway as a shortcut for their dog and boys on bikes.  We put up a craptastic temporary "fence," tall metal stakes with a couple of wire so the dog couldn't just jump through.  We ran it up the property line across their path, and we told the neighbor we were trying to decide where to put up a decorative fence.  We never took it down.

I know you said that a fence wouldn't be feasible, but maybe something like this would work for you.