Menu

Is (almost) 9 years old too old to switch to MiF?

candikane

DD is struggling in Everyday Math in public and being pulled for homeschool. I'm signed up with Calvert Verticy already, so that's decided, but I need to choose between their standard/traditional curriculum, or Math in Focus. Is she too old to switch to MiF without a big struggle? EM does the same basic approach of teaching multiple ways to view and solve problems, and to understand HOW math works, it just does it in a very poor, confusing, spiraling way.

She's decent with traditional right-to-left and carrying/borrowing, with on and off slip ups though, and once it hits 3-4 digits with constant borrowing, she gets confused and overwhelmed and breaks down big time.

I think she'd do good with manipulatives, and outdoor active activities while doing Math problems. Physical and visual would probably work best for her (but I have no idea what kind of a learner she is, this is just a guess).

Suggestions? PLEASE!! I need to get this ordered and start working on it with her!!

If she is already struggling I would go with Calvert. it is not a bad program. my older two loved it when we did it ages ago. it is slower paced and {to me} simpler compared to MIF but that might be just what your dd needs. The world will not be closing doors to her {or any other child} just because she didn't use Asian style math. :)

{And we loved Verticy materials. Good luck!}

Sorry about the spelling errors. My typing does not keep up with my thoughts.

Well the MiF books that are labeled Common Core are actually identical to the older MiF books that are not labeled common core so maybe the Calvert math and the "common core" MiF are not so different.  Check scope and sequence for both.  FWIW I just switched my 10 year old over to MiF.  I ordered the TM, along with the books used on Amazon.  Working well here, but I do go a level below sometimes to review the more basic presentation of a concept before tackling it again at a higher level since presentation is very different from what he is used to.  We both like the material, though.