Menu

Curriculum Company Discrimination Against Hsers

Someone want to explain why curriculum companies are allowed to discriminate against homeschoolers?

We would like to purchase text/web access and a solution guide from a curriculum company for our two high school students to use next year. However, the company refuses to sell the solution guides to homeschoolers. I can understand that they don't want ps students to be able to order them for cheating purposes, so I called them and talked to both the customer service representative and her supervisor, offering work-arounds such as proving our homeschool status to them or having the solution guide shipped to my husband's workplace (a university), but was told that this is their policy and that they don't want to cater to homeschoolers as part of their marketing plan. (Though they are actively marketing math books/access to homeschoolers. ) Can anything be done about this sort of discrimination?

(The website for what we were wishing to purchase is https://webstore.kineticbooks.com/index.php/cPath/31_33 )

I see the issue, they want school PO only. If you are registered as a private school in your state, it is easy peasy to put together a PO. If not, do you know anyone who has a private school and they could get it for you and then forward it to you.

The private school I worked at was small and did not usually do POs, but some textbook companies wanted them. I forget why they wanted it.

Good point, Maize & Um.  We are treated as private schools, but not registered as such.  I don't know much about purchase orders -- wouldn't they have to have some kind of credit agreement with the private school in order to accept a P.O.  At any rate, the idea that we should be discriminated against, and that my immediate payment is less acceptable than someone else's purchase order simply because my children's school is different, still rankles.

You know, Kolbe uses Kinetic Physics for their DIY curriculum option and list an answer key and solution guide as an available text. Maybe you can order it from their bookstore?

I just looked at their site and didn't find the solution guide.  I did find the online homework, text, and their scheduling guide for it.  Could you post a link for me?

Thanks!

I just looked at their site and didn't find the solution guide.  I did find the online homework, text, and their scheduling guide for it.  Could you post a link for me?

Thanks!

Course Texts:

Principles of Physics Answer Key and Solution Guide*, Kolbe Academy, Optional

Virtual Physics Labs Answer Key*, Kolbe Academy, Optional

*Kolbe Academy has made available to registered families ONLY the answer key to questions assigned within the scope of the following Kolbe Academy course plan. See the course plan for details on accessing these materials.

It looks like you have to register with them. An individual high school course enrollment costs $45.

Yes, you can get the SM if you register for a single class. I have one, so I know it is possible. fWIW, my ds loved that physics course. My dd will be doing it next yr, too.

8FillTheHeart,

Did you find the solutions manual necessary, or do the online homework and problem sets grade themselves?

I'm glad to hear that your ds loved it, because it looked as if my dc would, too.  I do want to figure out how to make this work!

Thanks!

Many publishers have you sign an affidavit that you are homeschooling before permitting access to teacher's materials.  Perhaps you could offer to do this or offer to provide a document from your state/county/school district that verifies you are registered as a homeschooler?

It depends on their issue-is it the payment processor the release of teacher's materials that is the issue.

I offered to prove my homeschooling status, because I understand that they don't want answer keys to get out there, but they just kept reiterating that selling to homeschoolers was not part of their marketing plan and that they refuse to sell to us.  Since they otherwise accept credit card payments, it doesn't seem to be a payment processing issue.

I feel your pain. I had the same issue recently with the University of Oklahoma Press. They are willing to sell me a textbook and flash cards I want, but not the answer key. They will sell the answer key "only to certified teachers". :glare: