Menu

Anyone else hate getting new appliances?

Perogi

Our dishwasher died last week and Dh bought a new one. He knew better than to involve me in the decision because I hate spending money and agonize over which appliance to choose. Today the plumber came to install it and my anxiety is through the roof! I hate getting new (expensive) things...what if I don't like it? What if it doesn't last?? Ugh. I wish I could celebrate and enjoy my new "toy" instead of feeling nauseated.

I don't mind getting new appliances, but I do have a hard time deciding what to buy.  And often only long after the fact do I realize which features are the best for my use. 

And actually, compared with other expenses it's not within the realm of what I consider expensive.  Especially not for something I will use every single day. 

There is nothing sexy about spending $12K on a new roof that you can never even look at.  Granted, I use it every single day, but still it's a lot of money to spend on something that isn't much fun.

I completely disagree with this.  My not-so-sexy roof was apparently leaking behind the wall long before we moved into our home and it caused some major cosmetic problems on the interior.  Did I mention the mold lurking beyond that nearly suffocated me when we exposed it?  When we fixed the interior, we had to completely tear out the structural wall and reframe everything to fix the problem.  The wall looked awful before, but today, it looks fantastic!  The new roof looks great, too!

Your roof keeps the water out of the rest of your home.  It is totally worth spending the money on a good roof!  I'd value a good roof over a dishwasher any day after that experience.  Plus, a roof usually lasts a lot longer than your average dishwasher these days.  ;)

Over the past two years I have had to get ALL new appliances and I love all of them to the max. They are SO much better than my old ones, which were really old. Appliances are the only things I get extended warranties on, and the dishwasher needed two repairs, but it is great. My new stove is the best thing ever. All of them have made life so much easier. I shopped them all to death before I bought them and then agonized over my decisions, but now I trust myself more than ever :).

Yes, I'm sure in a few weeks I'll love it, but right now....ay yi yi. A dishwasher is certainly more fun than a roof, as necessary as they both may be! We got a new washing machine last year and I had a similar reaction but now I love, love, love it. It does seem that appliances are not built like they used to be :(

Yes - we just got a new fridge, and it was a very tedious process looking for the new one.  The new one arrived last week, and it has been an adjustment.  I am not really thrilled about the freezer on the bottom - and especially the wire baskets.  They seem so cheap.  But I admit it is nice to have the fridge at eye level.

Me! Probably because I can never understand written intructions, and therefore can't work how the <insert any appliance> works properly! I'm still not sure what half the functions on my phone are, and I've had it over a year...

That's not quite what I meant.  Of course it's extremely important and I spent the money and didn't hesitate.  I'm just saying that buying a new appliance is something I consider almost fun because i get to look at it and do something with it.  The roof just sits there.

Not that I am disagreeing with you. 

Our roof was almost 100 years old and it did not leak!  Pretty amazing.  But yeah we bought this house knowing we needed to buy a new roof.  It was hard to even find someone to insure our house because of it.

A dishwasher is "fun"?  No, Ma'am, that thing is not fun.  Convenient and helpful when it is working right, yes, but fun, no.  :laugh:

That is pretty amazing a 100 year old roof didn't leak!  Then again, things were built so much better in the old days.  (Sigh.)

Yes - we just got a new fridge, and it was a very tedious process looking for the new one.  The new one arrived last week, and it has been an adjustment.  I am not really thrilled about the freezer on the bottom - and especially the wire baskets.  They seem so cheep.  But I admit it is nice to have the fridge at eye level.

May I ask which refrigerator you got?  Our fridge needs a few repairs, but is working for now.  I think we want to put it in the garage and get a new fridge anyways, because we buy a lot in bulk and could use extra refrigerator space.  I'm looking at a fridge with a freezer on the bottom, so I was curious if you don't mind sharing what you purchased?  How do you like it so far?  I'm curious.  :o

Our washer is about to die and we ordered a new set over the weekend.  It's backordered, so now I have a few more weeks to worry if we got the right one, feel slightly nauseated over the price, and wonder if it's any good.  Oh, and hope my old one keeps going until the new one arrives.  We just went through this replacing the fridge last fall, it's definitely not something I enjoy.  

Every week when I do laundry, I say a prayer of thanks that my washer and dryer are still working...after about 16 years.  I am even thankful for my 30 year old stove and my crappy dishwasher, because they work, and I know their quirks, and it means I have one less thing to stress about!  Appliance shopping is not fun. 

Neither is getting a new garage floor and driveway poured...which we had to do last year, but our house's foundation thanked me and promises not to collapse now from the weight of the concrete pitching into it. 

May I ask which refrigerator you got?  Our fridge needs a few repairs, but is working for now.  I think we want to put it in the garage and get a new fridge anyways, because we buy a lot in bulk and could use extra refrigerator space.  I'm looking at a fridge with a freezer on the bottom, so I was curious if you don't mind sharing what you purchased?  How do you like it so far?  I'm curious.  :o

We got a Maytag.  I believe it's this model

http://www.sears.com/maytag-21.9-cu-ft-single-door-bottom-freezer/p-04606751000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=04606751000&kispla=04606751000P

There are some things I really like about it so far (The fridge portion is HUGE and well organized,  it has a lot of compartments on the door for condiments, the produce drawers are much bigger than our old fridge) but some other things I cant tell if they are true negatives, or if I am just having a hard time getting used to them because they are so different than our old freezer-on-top model.  (The front outer portion is smooth, not textured like our old fridge, and so it really shows fingerprints/dirt/scratches, the freezer is hard to open - you really have to pull hard, the wire baskets in the freezer seem small and don't hold as much as our old freezer, the ice maker is slower, and the shelves on the door are too small to hold a carton of  eggs, and something I didn't even think about in the showroom...my younger kids can't reach the top shelves.)

I think once we've had it a while longer I'll get used to it - but right now I'm sort of still missing our old one.  (I loved that fridge - but it was old enough to legally drink...so it was past time to upgrade)  ;)

We got a Maytag.  I believe it's this model

http://www.sears.com/maytag-21.9-cu-ft-single-door-bottom-freezer/p-04606751000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=04606751000&kispla=04606751000P

There are some things I really like about it so far (The fridge portion is HUGE and well organized,  it has a lot of compartments on the door for condiments, the produce drawers are much bigger than our old fridge) but some other things I cant tell if they are true negatives, or if I am just having a hard time getting used to them because they are so different than our old freezer-on-top model.  (The front outer portion is smooth, not textured like our old fridge, and so it really shows fingerprints/dirt/scratches, the freezer is hard to open - you really have to pull hard, the wire baskets in the freezer seem small and don't hold as much as our old freezer, the ice maker is slower, and the shelves on the door are too small to hold a carton of  eggs, and something I didn't even think about in the showroom...my younger kids can't reach the top shelves.)

I think once we've had it a while longer I'll get used to it - but right now I'm sort of still missing our old one.  (I loved that fridge - but it was old enough to legally drink...so it was past time to upgrade)  ;)

Lol!  :laugh:   I currently have a top freezer oldie.  I don't know how old it is, but it has to be getting close to legal drinking age, too!

The one you listed is under 22 cu. ft. and I was looking at 24 cu. ft. and above, so if you say yours is huge, then I'm feeling better about buying a new one.  We have a big family, so a bigger fridge is becoming necessary.  It is hard to compare space in the store, because they don't put realistic items in there to really guage the size differences.  Pictures are helpful, but I wish they'd put realistic items in there for show instead of pictures.

I actually like the smooth outer exterior, because I always felt the textured ones were hard to keep clean. 

Pulling hard on the freezer door is a huge plus, if you ask me!  I don't want the kids to be able to open it so easily.  A major reason I want a bottom freezer is to keep the small children out of the main fridge, so this sounds like a win-win with both the freezer and fridge!  :hurray:

The wire baskets do seem cheap.  The more expensive ones have plastic, which looks nice but still feels flimsy.  Still, it has to be better than having things fall out of the top freezer ones.

Thank you for reviewing your fridge for me, because it made it more helpful in deciding what I want to do about our fridge situation!

(And thanks to the OP for letting me hijack your thread a bit.  :o )

Yes and yes and yes.

I had to buy a new dishwasher a few months ago, and it was agony. They seem to last 6-7 years no matter what we spend, so I found a middle quality floor model at Sears and brought it home myself.  The part to fix the old one was going to be $250 and the new one was $500.  DH and I installed it.

Both the oven and refrigerator are 15+ years old and have had parts replaced. They're so old that we have to buy parts on eBay. But one or the other is going to die one of these days. I've looked at refrigerators, but I want a French door and DH wants a side-by-side. Hopefully we can agree when the time comes...

I can relate to all of the above.  My DH fixes everything.  Everything.  I am thankful, but occasionally i would just love to see a new appliance.  Then I regret that we spent the money.  We are having issues with our dishwasher and mostly for the indecision of buying a new one, we are trying to get it working better.  (It's gunky. I think it's due to the Cascade tabs we were using>) 

Our garage nearly collapesed this winter when the main ridge board broke.  We have bids in excess of 25 grand to repair it and put a new roof on the whole house.  It makes me nauseated to thing about it.  We are waiting confirmation that the insurance is paying for it.  Then I feel guilty that anyone has to pay this bill.  It's a cycle I want to get off!

Since moving into our house 11 years ago we've replaced the dishwasher, refrigerator, and washing machine and I'm waiting not so patiently for a back-ordered gas range.  It's hard to get excited about a dishwasher or fridge, but a range? When I've only ever had crappy, bottom-of-the-line ranges? Well, here's hoping it's not a lemon. :D

I bought a new French-door counter depth fridge and dishwasher last year after they died.  (the dishwasher took my kitchen floor with it.  Insurance paid for the floor.). 

I like the fridge - I do not like the dishwasher (top of the line kitchen aid.  it doesn't clean worth a darn, and I hate having to pre-wash.  it's so quiet, that we'll inadvertently open it in the middle of a cycle to put something in it. the light is on the top of the door - under the counter.)   I'm ready to go buy another ge profile - which is what I had.  very flexible racks (which I *really* miss), and it cleaned pretty good with three arms. I was really sorry it died.  I just had wanted something *really* quiet.  or a bosch - which I didn't buy because dh didn't want to spend that much.

YES, YES, YES! I hate that there are so many (artificial) choices, I hate that there's no real transparency in pricing, I hate that you can haggle for prices, I hate knowing that there will be a sale the week after I purchase.

I've started buying used things. I don't have as many choices, and I don't feel as badly when things stop working in three or four years. 

Our washing machine broke mid-wash a few years ago, and I posted a sad lament on FB about the broken machine in our garage full of dirty water and dirtier laundry. A friend of a friend was getting rid of a machine for $45. We picked it the next morning. It was the same model we had, and the transition was so quick and so painless that my husband totally forgot about it until I reminded him a few weeks ago. (Him: "We bought that washer in 2007, right?" Me: "No, this is the one we bought to replace that one." Him: "Ooohhhhh yeah....")

We needed a new vacuum, so I bought one from a neighbor on Craigslist. I paid $30. Half the time I use it, I think about how we got this vacuum two days later with just a little research and a walk around the block. It's lasted us for 2.5 years of near-daily Cheerio duty. 

This doesn't work for everything, of course, but I find so much freedom emotionally, mentally, and financially from buying my appliance from whatever subset is available on Craigslist at any given time.