Menu

Manipulatives for Singapore 1A/1B ?

augoldie

I am going to be purchasing Singapore 1A US edition for my 5 year old son. He's about finished with the Kindergarten Essentials books.  What manipulatives will I need for 1A and later for 1B.  Also, aside from the textbook, workbook and tests.... should I pick up any other supplement books?    He picks things up quickly but does not like to work very long.

Thanks!

I used this: Right Start Abacus
I love it!  I let them use it for most of the math in 1A-1B until they had their facts memorized.  And we use it in 2A for learning place value and borrowing/carrying.  One side of it has columns for 100s, 10s, and 1s, when you hold it sideways.  I also used it to teach long division.  I like how the kids can visualize the number without having to count because of the groups of 5s and 10s.  Also, I like that it is self-contained and doesn't have a lot of little pieces that can get lost.  It comes with instructions on how to use it properly.  I think it's a great supplement to Singapore math.

We use cuisinaire rods, teddy bear counters, and a white board. We find that the Intensive Practice book is also a great tool. All of the manipulatives listed by Singapore are not really needed.

I agree. I liked our teaching clock too for practicing telling time. We did use the RS abacus the above poster mentioned, but we had used the curriculum so I had it here already. I love RS for place value.

We use a base ten set, and that's pretty much it.  We have the Right Start abacus, but we don't really use it.  We have teddy bear counters, but we don't use them.  We have a cheap teaching clock that the kids use at times.  We used real coins for money practice.  We don't have a scale, but we do weigh things at the grocery store all the time  ;)

Oh, and a white board and markers.  Those we use all the time.  And games.  The kids like Monopoly Jr, Sum Swamp, and Uno.

I just used C-rods... maybe sometimes Base-ten blocks? I can't quite remember. I didn't bother getting the IP or CWP for that level with my middle son at that age because he wasn't ready to really "work hard". The TB/WB were enough for him. Now in first grade, he's doing Beast Academy quite happily, and that's much harder than Singapore. So don't feel like you HAVE to challenge them in K. All of my kids have not been ready to work at academics until 6 or 7 - that's when "easy" stuff starts to bore them, whereas in K, they like easy stuff. :) YMMV, of course!

When I had less money, I actually purchased a thing of beads and yarn and made homemade manipulatives. Later, I purchased base 10 blocks. I have a few other things too, like play clocks and such. But I liked the homemade bead stuff best. I think SWB described homemade manipulatives in her first book. I do not know about her current book, if things have changed.  For the beads, we had fun stringing 10 beads each on to strings and tying them in to loops. Then...we still had single beads to be ones, and then the ten bead sets, and then...to make hundred bead sets, they learned to string 10 of the 10 bead sets together. It really taught them base ten concepts.

We use counting discs (which you can label for place value discs down the road), two egg cartons that I cut the top and the end two cups off for ten-frames to illustrate numers/adding/subtracting within 20, and base 10 blocks. That's it. I have other things that I bought based on the list from the Singapore website, but we hardly ever use them. What I've mentioned is basically all we've used up through 3A/B.

Hmmm, maybe a 100s chart for 2A/B.