Menu

Wow, I guess I've been spoiled

musicianmom

I live in an area with a high concentration of homeschoolers. I never hear a negative comment. Usually I hear something like "good for you! I wish I could homeschool my kids." My public school mom friends are often venting on FB about Common Core or bullying or other school-related problems.

So I was blown away this week to be reminded that yes, there are people who elevate ps to some sort of Valhalla status. It is not just the best option, it is the only acceptable option (private schools aren't acceptable). It is the cure for everything that might ail your child. Hyperactive? Overly dramatic? Nothing that a strict routine and some peer pressure can't fix. Sleep problems? Well, if the kid had to get up at zero dark thirty to catch the bus, she would gosh-darn learn to fall asleep at night without any coddling, wouldn't she?

I really thought this particular person had given us up as a lost cause, but apparently they are still hoping we will see the light and live life the right way (their way).

ETA: I know ps works for some kids, so I would never say "no kid should be in ps ever." I'm just surprised that someone would think of it as a one-size-fits-all thing.

I live in an area with a high concentration of homeschoolers. I never hear a negative comment. Usually I hear something like "good for you! I wish I could homeschool my kids." My public school mom friends are often venting on FB about Common Core or bullying or other school-related problems.

So I was blown away this week to be reminded that yes, there are people who elevate ps to some sort of Valhalla status. It is not just the best option, it is the only acceptable option (private schools aren't acceptable). It is the cure for everything that might ail your child. Hyperactive? Overly dramatic? Nothing that a strict routine and some peer pressure can't fix. Sleep problems? Well, if the kid had to get up at zero dark thirty to catch the bus, she would gosh-darn learn to fall asleep at night without any coddling, wouldn't she?

I really thought this particular person had given us up as a lost cause, but apparently they are still hoping we will see the light and live life the right way (their way).

ETA: I know ps works for some kids, so I would never say "no kid should be in ps ever." I'm just surprised that someone would think of it as a one-size-fits-all thing.

PS works great for some, o.k. for others and may be a total nightmare for other children.  As with ALL educational choices.  The older I get the more I realize that one size fits all is a complete myth.  I am sorry they feel the need to "educate" you on your error in choices for your kids.  We have an ongoing issue with our neighbors that has, at times, been truly heartbreaking for our children and really painful and frustrating for DH and I.  I sympathize.

Best wishes...