Menu

Upcoming change to the boards...please read!

Susan Wise Bauer

I think it is amazing that you haven't had to add ads sooner.  (Say that ten times fast lol.)  I appreciate the ads-only-if-not-registered part.  If we need ads, we need ads, but I really appreciate you trying this option first.  Maybe it will be sufficient for awhile, at least.

Nan, another totally grateful boardie whose life you have radically changed - no wait, that sounds really scary...

Nan, another totally grateful boardie whose life you have radically improved, : )

• Like 2

I wholeheartedly agree with this.  I had no clue it costs that much either!! (Which is good to know because I was considering putting a forum on my own site.. definitely going to have to rethink that!).  That said, I"m with Mom31257 that I have no problem seeing advertising--especially if it won't include annoying pop-ups or pop-outs (the kind that fill part of the screen when you accidentally mouse over them). 

I had no idea it would cost that much to maintain the boards, so I believe you should do it. This site has been an invaluable part of my homeschooling experience, so advertising even after signing in would be fine with me. 

Thank you for the sacrifice you've been making in order for these boards to be here.

I think it's great! The banner ad at the bottom, would be perfect for ads, too. I don't think it'd detract from the site. It could be half width, with yours remaining say... on the left... and the other on the right.... I bet you could totally get everything paid for... and we'd be just as happy! :)

I think the ads on the front screen are just fine (though yes, please check for malware). I also second asking for a donation spot. Would you please post a thread of instructions on how to contribute $$ for those who wish to do so? Please give an option for making out checks -- some of us don't do PayPal yet.

• Like 1

I am just now seeing this thread. It does not seem fair that you need to spend so much on the upkeep of a site that benefits so many of us. I am an "afterschooler", but have extensively used resources and tips from WTM since I discovered it 3 years ago.

I think that it is reasonable to display ads for visitors who are not logged in - every time I google questions on a curriculum or try to compare 2 different curricula, WTM discussions pop up on my search. If you don't mind, I have a few suggestions for you to monetize WTM and it's forums:

1. Affiliate for selling curriculum of publishers directly from WTM website (I would personally buy all my books and pdfs through your links if that would help you). There could be special categories for the recommended curriculum and then others for other books.

2. Online classes from PHP (I have seen another thread about this being in the works)

3. Subscription to WTM boards - I suggest that you use a business model similar to the one used by the app company whatsapp - free for 1 year and from then on, a very nominal amount like $1/year. I believe everyone can afford that amount.

4. Donation button on your site - please do this at the earliest. A lot of us have already requested it :)

Thank you for WTM.

Good for you, SWB!

You provide a great service here, and you should monetize it. Your approach of only advertising to visitors is very generous, and if it is sufficient to cover your costs, then that is great. I wouldn't hold you back from fully monetizing the site if you needed or wanted to. You've got more important things to spend money on than subsidizing us yakking about hs'ing and dogs and whatnot!

Anyhow, there is always AdBlock and AdBlockPlus. ;)

Thumbs up from me. Donation button is a good idea too and if you do do the amazon affiliate link, could you do a Book Depository affiliate link too.

As a non-US reader, I use Amazon for further 'product research' but go to Book Depository (UK) to feed my habit.

Love the boards, thank you.

Like many others I joined after years of lurking.

I began lurking after several searches for obscure curriculum topics lead me to your old boards.

This would still have worked with pop-ups, though I would have joined much earlier to avoid them. Go for it. And do add the donation jar.

Is it Wiki that started a once a year donation drive? I have donated to that for the reasons that I like it, use it and want it to stay in its uncluttered form.

All three reasons apply here. If you are going to do that maybe make your drive when most are doing their big annual purchases.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 4 months later...