Menu

Appropriate handwriting paper

Guest hullfamily

Guest hullfamily

Let me introduce myself real quick:  I am currently a 2nd grade teacher and have been teaching for 15 yrs. I found this site through google while trying to locate some information.

My son is in 1st grade. His teacher started using College ruled notebook paper for their weekly spelling tests around October. Her grade level decided to take off points on the tests if the letters were not spaced appropriately and/or correct spacing between letters (too close/too far away, etc) I emailed her questioning if she needed more handwriting paper for the tests. She never responded, however, the master teacher stopped me in the hallway a few days later (I work at the school). The master teacher told me that I was inappropriate for questioning another teacher about her classroom.  The next week, my son came home with his spelling test on the handwriting paper that was on our supply list.  He started getting 100's on the tests again.

Today, my son comes home with College Ruled notebook paper again and many points taken off due to "inappropriately sized" letters.  I have requested a parent conference to include Admin b/c of the last time I was called inappropriate, due to this paper and b/c the teacher only sends home spelling tests. We get all his graded papers the day after report cards come home and by this time, its too late to see what he is getting wrong.

Anyone have documentation that is inappropriate? Am I wrong?

College-ruled paper in first grade is inappropriate! Schools here make the switch from wide-rule to college-rule in middle school--6th grade. And personally, I would have a problem with points being taken off on a spelling test for less-than-fully-mature handwriting. My poor leftie would have flunked spelling, though she is actually a great speller. I'm sorry I don't have any documentation to support this--one would think common sense would be good enough. I think a non-confrontational conference is definitely in order. I bet an OT could help you with some information on developmental time tables related to handwriting--do you have one associated with your school? I bet most first graders just can't write small and neat yet.

Guest hullfamily

That is exactly the kind of tablet paper on our school supply list.. However, she is using College ruled paper to grade letter formation. :(

I don't know what college lined paper is but at my sons school they use wide triple lined paper for year 1 and 2 (k and 1st) then switch to 8mm standard lined exercise books. It seemed crazy when I saw it but they manage fine (he was 6). They do not, however penalise them for imperfect writing. If the word is spelt right it is spelt right.