Menu

"Jot it Down"--Is it worth it the cost? Are there any other options?

Hi Everyone,

We currently use WWE as our main writing program.  (FLL and AAS are used for grammar and spelling.)   However, I keep toying with the idea of purchasing The Brave Writer "Jot it Down" program.  I feel like I would like to include something 'more' than just alternating copywork and narration when teaching writing.  So some of the bravewriter projects appeal to me.  I also like some of their weekly 'lifestyle' things that can help with writing.  (Tea parties with poetry, weekly movie time and discussion, etc.) 

The thing is....I just can't get over the price!  It just seems a little steep for what you get.  ($40 for a digital book that is only 79 pages long....and some of that is pictures.) 

So, for those of you who have purchased this book----Is it worth the cost?   Tell me why.

Also---What does a typical "Jot it Down" week or month look like in your house?  In other words, how do you actually put some of the ideas in that book into practice?  Do you schedule stuff on your own?   I worry that I might just buy it, read it once, and then think, "OH, a tea party! That is a good idea."  And then never go any further with actually getting my act together to DO any of the ideas.  Is "Jot it Down" a bad program for me in that regard?  At least we do WWE, FLL, AAR, AAS, and handwriting.  Maybe they aren't that exciting, but they are 'getting done'....you know?

Are there any other options similar to Jot it Down that I should look at?   

I got it when it was new and discounted, and even then I found it horribly overpriced. I used No More "I'm Done!" that year instead. http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Done-Fostering-Independent/dp/1571107843 Below I will link a thread discussing that, including my opinion of JID. In it, stripe links another less expensive option, Alphabet Glue.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/404940-want-a-creative-supplement-to-wwe-or-like-the-writers-jungle-but-balk-at-the/

It's $10 cheaper at HSBC, and we love Bravewriter...but...I do feel that it's overpriced.  Jot it Down has some great ideas for early writing.  It's very CM style.  Depending on the age of your child, you might find Partnership Writing to be a better fit.  I've mentioned this before in other threads, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record, but what I ended up doing was taking the different writing ideas (a LOT of them came from the Bravewriter daily emails, btw) and and putting them on index cards, then we just pull a card and do that days activity.  This has been working really well for us.  That being said, I also used ideas from a couple ebooks I got through the Scholastic Dollar Deals.  Writing Games by Peggy Kaye is great too. 

I got it when it was new and discounted, and even then I found it horribly overpriced. I used No More "I'm Done!" that year instead. http://www.amazon.com/No-More-Done-Fostering-Independent/dp/1571107843 Below I will link a thread discussing that, including my opinion of JID. In it, stripe links another less expensive option, Alphabet Glue.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/404940-want-a-creative-supplement-to-wwe-or-like-the-writers-jungle-but-balk-at-the/

Wow!  Thanks for linking that thread.  That is almost exactly the info I'm looking for.  :)

It's $10 cheaper at HSBC, and we love Bravewriter...but...I do feel that it's overpriced.  Jot it Down has some great ideas for early writing.  It's very CM style.  Depending on the age of your child, you might find Partnership Writing to be a better fit.  I've mentioned this before in other threads, so forgive me if I sound like a broken record, but what I ended up doing was taking the different writing ideas (a LOT of them came from the Bravewriter daily emails, btw) and and putting them on index cards, then we just pull a card and do that days activity.  This has been working really well for us.  That being said, I also used ideas from a couple ebooks I got through the Scholastic Dollar Deals.  Writing Games by Peggy Kaye is great too. 

I am actually new to this forum so I have not heard of your 'index card box'.  GREAT IDEA!  I can see that actually working well here.  :)  Also, would you happen to know the names of any of the ebooks you have enjoyed through Scholastic?

I am actually new to this forum so I have not heard of your 'index card box'.  GREAT IDEA!  I can see that actually working well here.  :)  Also, would you happen to know the names of any of the ebooks you have enjoyed through Scholastic?

I have this one: http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/100-awesome-writing-prompts-to-use-with-any-book-mkt1449  and really like it.  I also got this one:  http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/brighten-up-boring-beginnings-and-other-quick-writing-lessons, but we haven't started using it yet and I'm not sure how we are going to use it, but it looked really good at the time. LOL

If you are looking for lots of ideas, besides the ones listed (including Alphabet Glue), you might want to take a look at "If you're trying to teach kids how to write, you've gotta have this book!" by Marjorie Frank. You can find the older edition (ISBN 0913916625) used for under $4, inc shipping. It's got more than 200 pages of fun ideas.