Menu

Anyone have a smaller (cheap) car they love?

Zebra

****I bought a car, update in post #42...thanks for the help!!!***

I am looking for a new car to replace my Scion XB.   We have 1 child, so I don't need a very big car.  Also, we mostly stay in a small area, I don't even put 10,000 miles a year on my car.  I don't love sedans, I am more interested in hatchback/wagon/small SUV type cars.  I've tried the Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Prius C, Jeep Cherokee and new Scion XB.  I also have some hatchbacks on my list to try sometime.    Honestly, I am so burnt out from testing driving I am ready to just get a horse and buggy and be done with it :lol:!  

Does anyone have a smaller car they would like to recommend :lurk5:??????

I have an '89 Honda Accord LX--bought it in 2003 and have had very little trouble with it. No plans to go into debt for anything newer and shinier.

How small are you thinking? Dh loves his new Ford Fiesta. It's a really basic model, even manual shift but he has fun driving it.

My husband just bought a 2012 Ford Fiesta and he loves it. Fits all four of my kids, my dh, and all of their fencing gear just fine and gets great gas mileage. 

I went from a Scion XB to a Scion XD and have been very happy. It is small but doesn't feel like it. I highly recommend it. 

That's my plan when I can next afford to look at cars. I really like my xB, but once my nest empties this summer I won't need as much room. So, I'm strongly considering sticking with Scion but going down one size.

DH drives a Ford Focus (hey, the Pope drives one too!), and it's been a good little car for the price (several thousand less than the comparable Civic or Corolla). We've had it almost six years, and he puts about 500 miles a week (that's not a typo) on it. He's 6'2" and a big, muscular guy, and I am very petite, and both of us can drive the Focus comfortably. Its backseat is surprisingly roomy and was able to hold a big infant seat, a big toddler seat, and a booster; it was a little snug to buckle, but it worked. The trunk holds a lot as well. He gets about 30 mpg. It's needed surprisingly little work, considering that it's now 10 years old and has just over 200K miles on it. We put a new-to-us engine on it at about 170K miles, because otherwise, it's in good shape, and we expect to get another few years out of it. Overall, it's definitely been a good value, and I would certainly look to replace it with another Focus.

I covet the Honda Fit. I have several friends with them and have driven one and it's a great little car. We were making tenative plans to maybe buy one from my friend who is moving abroad. Due to family circumstance and having 2 extra kids here we have to go up in car size just now so I am looking at minivans instead of the Fit and it makes me a wee sad. But people are more important than small fun cars, right?!

My husband really likes his Hyundai Elantra. Great gas mileage, but the ride isn't very smooth. It's not bad but he had a Honda Accord before so it was a pretty noticeable difference. His is a sedan, but they do make hatchback models.

My mother had a Kia Optima which she really liked. We found it didn't have much head room, so if any of you are tall, it might not be a good choice. Still, a reliable vehicle with good gas mileage.

I have several friends who own a Kia Soul (various years, some older some newer) and none of them have any complaints. In fact, I think they're all pretty happy with them.

Wow, my husband told me to try a Honda Fit and I was too lazy :laugh:.   Now I think I must!

The person who went from the XB to the XD, does it seem smaller than your XB?   

I was thinking of, maybe a dogsled.......or a cart with some cats.    Or walking.    Or never leaving the house.   OR "beam me up Scottie".   Anything but more test drives!    Some car salesman are so nice, but even then they want everything short of stool sample from you (and maybe some of them even want that, who knows!) and it's exhausting.  Then there are the pushy jerks who make giving a stool sample seem easier. 

I should know better than to ask things on here  :drool5:, so many helpful suggestions.....I wanted you all to say, "No give up, it's hopeless!"   :lol:!!!!   

I think I've narrowed it down, but I may have to go try the Fit and the XD and....

I have several friends who own a Kia Soul (various years, some older some newer) and none of them have any complaints. In fact, I think they're all pretty happy with them.

I think that's my first choice right now.   It's a lot like what I have, only a little bit more cargo space and seems a bit sturdier, which is nice.

DSS and DDIL just bought a Prius and they love it. However, the OP did say cheap. :(

I know but she looked at one and cheap is relative, so I thought I could help. When we bought ours we took the gas mileage into consideration because we save about $50 a month on gas. We got ours used with 45,000 miles on it for $12,000. I wouldn't call that cheap, but we have a *very* reliable car with payment, gas and insurance totaling less than $250 a month.

Ask the kids if they found any of the secret compartments yet. :leaving:

Also, tell them about this. They'll learn about cheap all purpose floor mats, tricks you can do with the computer, and all sorts of stuff.

I know but she looked at one and cheap is relative, so I thought I could help. When we bought ours we took the gas mileage into consideration because we save about $50 a month on gas. We got ours used with 45,000 miles on it for $12,000. I wouldn't call that cheap, but we have a *very* reliable car with payment, gas and insurance totaling less than $250 a month.

Ask the kids if they found any of the secret compartments yet. :leaving:

Also, tell them about this. They'll learn about cheap all purpose floor mats, tricks you can do with the computer, and all sorts of stuff.

I did try a Prius C and it was more in my price range, the high end.   So they do have a cheaper one.

• 3 weeks later...

Probably no one cares at this point, but sometimes I like to hear how something ended up on one of these threads.  I did appreciate all the suggestions and test drove many of them, so thanks to everyone.   We did end up buying a Kia Soul, and I am thrilled with it.    Absolutely thrilled.  

You may now return to you day..... :lol:!

The Honda Fit might work for you. 

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree: We loved our Honda Fit so much that when our dd needed a car we sold her our Fit and bought another!!! Our younger dd is lobbying to get that Fit when she needs a car and telling us to then buy a new one. Then we'd be a three Fit family  :001_smile: We have had them for 4 and 3 years now and have had NO problems with them at all.  They are fun to drive, get GREAT gas mileage, are very roomy inside for a compact car, can carry a lot, are reasonably prices and reliable. My only complaint is I lose it in parking lots between SUVs and vans.

Edit: Well I was obviously too late to this conversation  :001_smile: Congratulations on your new car!

:iagree:  :iagree:  :iagree: We loved our Honda Fit so much that when our dd needed a car we sold her our Fit and bought another!!! Our younger dd is lobbying to get that Fit when she needs a car and telling us to then buy a new one. Then we'd be a three Fit family  :001_smile: We have had them for 4 and 3 years now and have had NO problems with them at all.  They are fun to drive, get GREAT gas mileage, are very roomy inside for a compact car, can carry a lot, are reasonably prices and reliable. My only complaint is I lose it in parking lots between SUVs and vans.

Edit: Well I was obviously too late to this conversation  :001_smile: Congratulations on your new car!

It's okay :).   People have fits over their Fits.   I did try one, and I liked driving it but the backseat was a little smaller than what I wanted for our family car.   It's a cool little car though!  

We just bought a Saturn Astra - a Saturn made on an Opel platform for sale in Europe and Canada. It has 45,000 miles on it and cost us $6800.00.  It was a steal. It rides very comfortably and handles like a dream due to that wonderful German engineering. They only sold them for two years before GM discontinued the Saturn name. It's a 2009.

It gives us 30 mph around town and 35 on the highway. The trunk is very generously sized for the size of the car, and it has better safety ratings than most of the other American small sedans.

We'll drive it into the ground.

My next car - I WANT A NEW CAMARO!!!! That's just because I got to drive one for about five miles at a GM ride event. WITH THE TOP DOWN! :drool5: Wonderful...so much fun...

Sigh...I'll never get one though. :(