Menu

Grr. For the first time, we won't finish our curricula..

Ugh, for the first time ever, we wont finish our curricula before the summer. With history, i tend to be a bit more easy going, but with Math, Science, Latin and such, I have set goals...and we won't hit them.

With math, it's more understandable, as he started Pre-A in Sept and finished  just in November, so he needs a couple more months to finish Algebra. He is willing to work on it over the summer so that's good. With Science, we've been using so many different resources that he won't have completed McHenry's The Brain. With Latin, he will have 2 more chapters left in Latin Prep 2--we add in extra reading and vocab review, so I guess that's why we won't finish. 

I just like to have things all neat and tidy by June.  :closedeyes:  Oh well!

Morgan is finishing her 2nd grade math this week and has already started BA3A, so I'm fine with however far she gets.  Everything else for her will just continue next year wherever we leave off.

But Shannon isn't going to finish math - if by finish one means getting ready for the next thing.  But, all the more reason to keep doing math at least 3x per week over the summer.  She's made such great strides this year I definitely don't want to lose momentum.  We're also in the unusal position of wanting to actually finish the content subjects this year, because  unlike the previous two years, we'll be starting all new studies in the fall, rather than just picking up where we left off.  Our "finish" will be very ragged this year, with some things done early and some things spilling over into the summer for sure.

We school year round.  So I never really worry about what finishes when.  I just pick up the next level of each book or subject when we finish the last.  we break randomly when hubby is off or we go on vacation so she gets the time off but not a whole summer.  I would hate having to deal with the review that would need to be accomplished after a 2-3 month break.

We don't school year round, but we've never had everything end tidily at the end of the year! We just start new books when the old ones end...I do try to have specific goals of how much I want to cover, but that gets revised a few times over the course of the year as I get a sense for what is going faster and what is going slower.

This year is even messier than usual, as we have added some online classes midyear, and shelved some things that weren't working. Overall, progress is definitely being made!

I find that each year, we delink a little more from what a traditional school would look like. Haven't been able to give up having the summer off though!

Ds' math has been crazy this year we did chunks of this and that, we're going to finish our current book (BA4A) and then just break. We'll start BA 4B next year. DD well, I'm on program #4 so we're working very hard to get through it. I hate the thought of starting the new year behind and since we started early we have some time, I think we will finish it by mid- May. Well, assuming we don't have any more hiccups or stalls, she's done well so far. We had done a far amount of RSB before starting MiF so we've speeded through some of it. I try not to get hung up on the dates but it drives me crazy not to have things finished. 

We never seem to finish when by the date I plan to, which is part of the reason we do year-round school. As it is, DD just started her new math in February, so there is no way it will be done by the time everything else will wrap up, and I don't like taking a long break from skill subjects like math and writing, anyway.

I'm feeling the pinch, too. I knew we would have a ragged finish with something's finishing earlier and later. I had planned to school through the summer but with a reduced load and stuff like LoF, Horrible Science, journaling, etc... It's looking now like we're going to be going well into July. Oh, well... It is what it is.

You're in good company.  Some things we'll finish, some we'll keep plugging away at.  Rabbit trails are worthwhile.  So is deeper purposeful study.  Try to appreciate that you have stuffed your days so full that you haven't finished yet. But you will- and it will have been good, solid learning.

Meh, you get used to it 😜

Seriously, it's ok. Continue what is working or doesn't repeat, toss what you can, and be ok with it. Teachers never finish their curriculum. I never do either. My kids survived.... And graduated from college, where they never finish their curriculum.

Ugh, for the first time ever, we wont finish our curricula before the summer. With history, i tend to be a bit more easy going, but with Math, Science, Latin and such, I have set goals...and we won't hit them.

With math, it's more understandable, as he started Pre-A in Sept and finished  just in November, so he needs a couple more months to finish Algebra. He is willing to work on it over the summer so that's good. With Science, we've been using so many different resources that he won't have completed McHenry's The Brain. With Latin, he will have 2 more chapters left in Latin Prep 2--we add in extra reading and vocab review, so I guess that's why we won't finish. 

I just like to have things all neat and tidy by June.  :closedeyes:  Oh well!

Well can I give you some perspective? LOL

Most 11 year olds aren't doing pre-A AND Algebra in the same year. (or maybe even at all yet) So... :lol:  relax Mama! 

We always keep up with math throughout the summer, especially this year since we have hit some math hiccups I never expected to have. Sigh.

We aren't going to get close to finishing RSO Bio either. It's a complex program so I'm not terribly concerned about it EXCEPT I really hoped to keep my kiddos in the same science strand. And I wanted to do Earth next. I also toyed with the idea of making The Brain a summer unit. You could look at it like that. We usually do quite a bit of science in the spring and summer. Something about doing projects outside in the warm sun really jump starts our interest in science.

2 chapters!!! Just do them!  :lol: Then you'll be done.

We'll finish our history nice and tidy. I'll continue to teach my ds phonics/reading/spelling because he's at a point where I don't want too much of a break. I don't want to go backwards! Since we have become more and more of a Bravewriter family, I can't really envision what finishing that would look like. We stopped WWE halfway through. My 6 year old was ready for it, but not at the same time. We'll likely not finish FLL...I had a very bumpy start with it, then I found a rhythm, then I second guessed it and decided to trust the process and now I'm wondering if it's worth it. Frankly we were just getting bored with it.

I actually usually plan to do school until the end of June. We don't really consider it "summer break" until July/August. July keeps us busy. We camp in May so need the month of June. 

I hear ya. My ds will finish everything but over the course of several weeks into mid May. Dd...a little tougher. I tagged a couple of weeks of leftover history to next year, but math will be going into June. I want to be done in mid May so it frustrates me. Oh well. I know it's not a big deal...but it feels like it is. I like neat and tidy. ;)

Well can I give you some perspective? LOL

Most 11 year olds aren't doing pre-A AND Algebra in the same year. (or maybe even at all yet) So... :lol:  relax Mama! 

Exactly my thought!  He is 11 and almost finished with both pre-algebra AND algebra I in a single year?  Good grief, just get your pride on!

To me, math, spelling and foreign language are all just keep going subjects anyway.  I don't think that matters so much.  Breaking up content subjects would bug me too, but realistically it's not the end of the world.  There's no timetable.

I'll make you feel better and confess my year, which I've been hesitant to mention since this is the WTM forum.    :D  This year I have kids in 8th, 5th, 3rd, and K.

This is my sixth year homeschooling and I'm calling it my break year; I refuse to feel guilty about it.  All my kids will have done the 3R's this year.  They will all work on math year round again this year with three of them working ahead of grade level in that subject..  Everything else has been unschooling this year with the exception of my oldest who is taking Latin with VPS.  They were all already ahead in science by at least a year, some two, and we've already finished one full history rotation.   There are no screens during the school day hours, so they read, play games, do experiments, and go outside or to the nature park.  Everyone gets books from the library based on their interest, but covering history, science, and fiction. (Yes I have to enforce at least one fiction book or a few would just check out all encyclopedias).  They have to be prepared to give me an oral summary if I ask.  We are all enjoying a relaxed year.  :cool: