Menu

More on the Revised SAT

I don't know if I'm poking around in the wrong place on the CB site or what, but I came across this page to look at sample problems and saw this statement:

These draft test specifications and sample items and other materials are just that — drafts. As such, they will systematically evolve over time. These sample items are meant to illustrate the shifts in the redesigned SAT® and are not a full reflection of what will be tested. Actual items used on the exam are going through extensive reviews and pretesting to help ensure that they are clear and fair, and that they measure what is intended. The test specifications as well as the research foundation defining what is measured on the test will continue to be refined based on ongoing research.

https://www.collegeboard.org/sites/default/files/problems_grounded_in_real_world_contexts.pdf

So, the test is a moving target?

For my kids, my main concern is whether the new SAT more heavily depends on reading speed, even in the math sections (I was looking at one random sample question I saw in a news article that seemed like it should be straightforward but I had to read it over several times before I understood what it was asking).  I can't really tell just yet.  Maybe I just need more coffee, lol.

I'm really glad my oldest will not be in the guinea pig year.

I like the nod to problem solving, but I'm intuitively skeptical about testing that in a tightly-timed environment.

Eta, I'm reading initial reaction at http://pwnthesat.com/wp/2014/04/digging-into-the-new-sat-math-section-first-impressions/#.U07aVPldWSo .  It notes that the "extended thinking" question is worth more points, 4 instead of 1 (?).  My head hurts now but I'm hoping this is all good.  There will also be math subscores, though the subscores will only be on certain topics (e.g. not on geometry); not sure what to think about that.

So has anyone found guidance on how this will affect PSAT and National Merit qualification? Will the PSAT be revised in fall 2015? Will students who make semifinalist cuts be able to turn in fall SAT scores or will they have to be the new revised scores?

I will have to choose not to worry about what I can't change. But I hate not knowing what is going on.

So has anyone found guidance on how this will affect PSAT and National Merit qualification? Will the PSAT be revised in fall 2015? Will students who make semifinalist cuts be able to turn in fall SAT scores or will they have to be the new revised scores? I will have to choose not to worry about what I can't change. But I hate not knowing what is going on.

The PSAT administered in the fall 2015, will be be the redesigned test.  I have seen the question posed a few times about whether fall SAT scores with the old SAT will be valid, but I have not seen an answer to that question. 

Considering the new SAT is not going to be released until the spring 2016, my guess is that National Merit will accept qualifying SAT scores based on either the old or new version of the SAT.

Eta, I'm reading initial reaction at http://pwnthesat.com/wp/2014/04/digging-into-the-new-sat-math-section-first-impressions/#.U07aVPldWSo .  It notes that the "extended thinking" question is worth more points, 4 instead of 1 (?).  My head hurts now but I'm hoping this is all good.  There will also be math subscores, though the subscores will only be on certain topics (e.g. not on geometry); not sure what to think about that.

I wonder if this means that geometry will not be tested on the new SAT?

Unfortunately, my 9th grader is in the guinea pig year.  I am still debating whether to forget about the SAT completely and focus on the ACT, or plan on him taking the SAT and hoping he gets a "good enough" score before the spring of his junior year.  :svengo:

My son was caught in this dilemma a decade ago, the last time that the SAT was revised, from the two part 1600 scale to the 2400 scale with three parts. I can share what happened to the class of 2006.

The redesigned PSAT rolled out first, in the fall of 2004, when he and his classmates were juniors. Studying for it was a bit of guesswork since no prep books were yet published. We used whatever practice problems we could find on the CB site & also an old prep book (for lack of anything better).

Kids qualifying for National Merit semifinalists from that revised PSAT were allowed to submit either the combination of old SAT scores + SAT 2 writing test or else new SAT scores (SAT scores are part of the process of moving on to NM finalist). Ds chose the former route since he had good scores from the old SAT and just wanted to be done with it.

The new SAT was introduced in early 2005, which was spring of junior year.

College applications for the class of 2006 were confusing. We found that most colleges were OK with either version of the SAT for application purposes since these kids were caught in the middle. Unfortunately for my son, though, he found that two of his colleges wanted only the new SAT. However, that requirement wasn't posted till late summer 2005, resulting in yet.one.more.SAT.testing.date for him in the fall of his senior year.

I wonder if this means that geometry will not be tested on the new SAT?

There will be geometry, but it will not be a main focus.  It looks like there will only be 6 total questions on geometry and trig (see pages 136-137 here):

Additional Topics in Math* 6 questions 10%

Making area and volume calculations in context

Investigating lines, angles, triangles, and circles 

using theorems

Working with trigonometric functions

The SAT2s are subject specific and very detailed. The SAT only tests English and some math.

Just thinking out loud, it would make more sense to me to require multiple SAT2s and no SAT, *if* the new SAT were really all about achievement - then that achievement could be tested in more detail.  I get the sense, however, that there's still some amount of "ability" involved for the new SAT - a sort of hybrid.

College applications for the class of 2006 were confusing. We found that most colleges were OK with either version of the SAT for application purposes since these kids were caught in the middle. Unfortunately for my son, though, he found that two of his colleges wanted only the new SAT. However, that requirement wasn't posted till late summer 2005, resulting in yet.one.more.SAT.testing.date for him in the fall of his senior year.

Yikes.  The ACT is looking better and better. 

My son was caught in this dilemma a decade ago, the last time that the SAT was revised, from the two part 1600 scale to the 2400 scale with three parts. I can share what happened to the class of 2006.

Wow, thanks for sharing your ds's experience. My ds is in 9th grade now, so he'll be experiencing the new PSAT in 2015 and the new SAT after that.

Wow, thanks for sharing your ds's experience. My ds is in 9th grade now, so he'll be experiencing the new PSAT in 2015 and the new SAT after that.

I'm starting to get concerned now.  I'll be honest I was kind of ignoring all this until realized the implications.  DD is in 9th grade.  I was going to have her take PSAT next year (sophomore) and the next year (junior) in the fall, then the SAT in spring of junior year.

That will have her falling in the new group her junior year. 

She's been doing the SAT questions of the day, just for fun, but I guess that won't be useful by the time she takes the new test. Will she have no prep materials available? That's probably my main concern, not having practice with previous tests, and no prep materials.

The College Board is working with Kahn Academcy to make the prep materials available free.  This free platform for prep is a key goal in order to attempt to take away the advantage of preparation via programs that may be out of reach financially for many test takers.

Regentrude made a point in a previous thread about SAT prep that rather than mold her kids' educations to a single test she concentrated on the math and on strong reading and writing experience (I'm paraphrasing).

It's good to have a familiarity with the test format and to understand scoring so you can move past something you don't know to more questions you can answer. But I really think you're far better off both on the test and in life with deeper math study and more classic novels than with months of test prep.

The other thing is that all of that year with have the same PSAT. It's not as if some will get to see it months early. The advantage some may have will be in the groundwork laid in years earlier. IMO test prep helps with speed and nervousness and a strategy to when to skip or guess. It's not going to catch you up on years of algebra. Nor will vocab flashcards surpass years of good reading.

Oh, I absolutely agree about test prep not replacing learning.  But DD is very finicky on tests, and she benefits from having some experience with the form and the general approach.  I have had her take standardized tests every year just for that reason.

I hope that Khan will have some prep available far enough ahead of time.

My 9th grade daughter progressed nicely from Duke Tip Sat in 7th and 8th to PSAT in 9th. Enough to believe that NM is a reach, but feasible.

I am hoping CB will release enough practice in time for her to get used to it. She missed an easy context vocab question but got all the algebra problems so far right. We looked at the link over lunch!