Menu

Jacob's Algebra and Geometry

One of the reviews that I read was at Amazon --

"I began using this book to teach my own children after using Saxon Algebra I and II. I was amazed to discover that Jacobs covers ALL the algrbra from both Saxon Algrbra books in only one book and in much more simple language"

I wouldn't give that too much credit, except that a friend of mine who has used Jacob's for 3 of her children said the same thing.  

Did it work out ok to go from Jacob's to Lial's, or do you wish you would have started with Lial's?  .

It worked well for us to go from Jacobs to Lial.  Both books, though very different, were very conducive to self-teaching with my oversight.  And my students all did fairly well with the teaching styles of both books.      

I have observed (others on this board surely know more about this than I do) that the topics of Alg. 1 and 2 are almost the same, but each topic is covered in more depth in Alg. 2.  If a parent only looks over the table of contents of 2 algebra books, they might be led to think that they "covered" the same material, when, really, one book teaches much more difficult content.

ETA:  Have you read this review of Jacob's books from Pennsylvania Homeschoolers?  I just reread it, and I see that she concludes that she writes, "As far as I can see it has everything that both Saxon Algebra I and Algebra II have (this is not based on a really in depth check, just a quick browse through)."  Ha!  Exactly my point above!  

I don't think a comparison to Saxon would answer the question.  I would compare to standard algebra 1 texts rather than Saxon.  (Eta, not that I have any reason to doubt the Saxon sequence - I'm not a fan but from reading here it always sounds on grade level.  However, the organization and TOC for Saxon, which I've seen for lower levels, would make for very difficult comparison of both topic coverage and depth for someone who hasn't used it.)

Eta, and I agree with the PP's point that depth can't always be discerned by comparing TOCs.

It worked well for us to go from Jacobs to Lial.  Both books, though very different, were very conducive to self-teaching with my oversight.  And my students all did fairly well with the teaching styles of both books.      

I have observed (others on this board surely know more about this than I do) that the topics of Alg. 1 and 2 are almost the same, but each topic is covered in more depth in Alg. 2.  If a parent only looks over the table of contents of 2 algebra books, they might be led to think that they "covered" the same material, when, really, one book teaches much more difficult content.

ETA:  Have you read this review of Jacob's books from Pennsylvania Homeschoolers?

Thanks for that link.  It was helpful.  She also seems to suggest that the Jacob's book covers more than Algebra I.  Here:

The Elementary Algebra book is actually three books in one-- it's got pre-algebra for those who haven't had it yet, and as far as I can see it has everything that both Saxon Algebra I and Algebra II have (this is not based on a really in depth check, just a quick browse through)

And then, again with this note:

Note:

• Elementary Algebra is often used to teach Algebra I and Algebra II consecutively.

I'd be interested in other's opinions about that.

I think that's wrong.  I think it's pretty standard alg 1.  I can't think of anything in Jacobs that would be considered alg 2.  (LOL, I *wish* there were an alg 2.)  My dd is finishing up alg 1 with a standard PS text (Prentice Hall) and I don't see anything in Jacobs that she wouldn't be able to do.

I still think comparison to Saxon is unrealistic for a person who doesn't know Saxon well enough, i.e., it's not going to tell you anything because even the TOC is dizzying.  You'd have to know what's in the lessons throughout the book.

Also, when comparing to an algebra 2 text, note that most texts often start out with some review, or start a chapter on a topic with a review of the topic before taking it more in depth.

Eta, likewise, it is not unusual for a standard alg 1 text to include some brief introduction to alg 2 topics - that wouldn't make it alg 2.

Nope.

Used Jacobs here, and it covers Algebra 1 topics at Algebra 1 depth. We used Forester's Algebra 2 & Trig afterwards, which, as with most Alg. 2 programs, has some overlap in topics with Alg. 1, but Forester went considerably deeper.

That quote is trotted out every other year or so, with the wistful hope that Jacobs could count as both Alg. 1 and Alg. 2, but the hard truth is that Jacobs Algebra only counts as a 1 credit Algebra 1 high school credit. ;) Wishful thinking is all it is. Alas!

Thanks for that link.  It was helpful.  She also seems to suggest that the Jacob's book covers more than Algebra I.  Here:

The Elementary Algebra book is actually three books in one-- it's got pre-algebra for those who haven't had it yet, and as far as I can see it has everything that both Saxon Algebra I and Algebra II have (this is not based on a really in depth check, just a quick browse through)

And then, again with this note:

Note:

• Elementary Algebra is often used to teach Algebra I and Algebra II consecutively.

I'd be interested in other's opinions about that.

Read the bold text above.  If that quotation persuades you to use Jacobs' for Alg. 1 & 2, I will forever regret posting the link!  ;)  

No regrets necessary!  I wouldn't base a decision on that one comment -it was just that I read it in a few different places, plus my friend said it.  I wanted to check because it didn't make sense, but, with a math phobic teenager, sometimes I grasp at straws.  So, okay, we'll do Algebra II as well.  

Thanks!