Menu

Oh my word: right up there with the waxing stories and the funny Amazon product reviews

Halftime Hope

ETA2:  trigger warning:  the video could be upsetting if you or a loved one are dealing with eating disorder issues.  The models are all very thin. 

So Vera Wang just released her bridal collection on video, of all things.  I clicked on it to see the vid, because a lifetime ago, I made a formal dress from a Vera Wang pattern, and it was really lovely.

Watch the video, and then read the comments under it.   Fair warning: no liquids anywhere near you while reading, k? 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/13/vera-wang-bridal-2015_n_5143276.html?utm_hp_ref=mostpopular

ETA:  comment #40 just cost me three tissues. It is the comments that had me in stitches, not the video.  (Nothing in the comments worth your time after 1-40.)

i think it was done purposefully. even the music was a downer. and their mascara was white, taking even more color out of their faces, the black rose petals... the girls in a circle reminiscent of a witch movie (please don''t hate on me for that, it's just what came to mind.)  but seriously, it looked intentional to have the models look like that. so sad.

i think it was done purposefully. even the music was a downer. and their mascara was white, taking even more color out of their faces, the black rose petals... the girls in a circle reminiscent of a witch movie (please don''t hate on me for that, it's just what came to mind.)  but seriously, it looked intentional to have the models look like that. so sad.

I agree. And I am no fashion guru nor am I a marketing genius...but my question is WHY??? Who would watch that video and want to purchase one of those dresses?

It wasn't the heroin-addict *look* or the zombie comments that I thought funny, even though I have been know to watch a zombie show or two.   It was the common sense, feed the waifs, "who would like that look anyway" comments, many of them cleverly written.  To each their own.  

Those girls know that the look is marketable, and they are *choosing* to take it to the bank.  Just like everyone else up and down in that industry. Whether it backfires on Vera Wang, time will tell.

God help Jimmy Fallon if one could never use humor to point out the ludicrous. 

Well, the models were doing what models are supposed to do, look vapid, a blank canvas. Projection is in the eye of the beholder. And when has a wedding photo shoot ever been about marriage? Phrased another way, when has any fashion photo shoot ever been about reality  :smilielol5: Fantasy is the currency not reality.

Some of the comments were amusing...my personal fave was, 'I'll donate some pork chops' :lol: but mostly the comments are simply reflective of the zeitgeist. I guess I'm in the minority in terms of the dresses, I thought a number of them were quite pretty, feminine and romantic.

It wasn't the heroin-addict *look* or the zombie comments that I thought funny, even though I have been know to watch a zombie show or two.   It was the common sense, feed the waifs, "who would like that look anyway" comments, many of them cleverly written.  To each their own.  

Those girls know that the look is marketable, and they are *choosing* to take it to the bank.  Just like everyone else up and down in that industry. Whether it backfires on Vera Wang, time will tell.

God help Jimmy Fallon if one could never use humor to point out the ludicrous. 

To each their own--exactly.  I'm actually quite a fan of inappropriate humor, especially if it's used to show just how ridiculous something is. I wasn't offended by the comments, they just didn't make me LOL or anything. Probably because I've seen good, decent people die because of heroin addiction. I read through many of the comments, but I probably didn't dig deep enough to get to the ones you're talking about.