Menu

kitchen sink disposal back flow and overflow the sink?

Arcadia

Update - HOA is sending out a plumber. After our problem description over the phone, they are sure it is the common pipes that are clog.

We were out all day, tap not leaking, and came home to an overflow kitchen sink at 7pm. This has happen in the middle of the night and more often around 10pm. We are at the 3rd floor of a condo complex.
This has happened since we change out our faulty disposal for a new one. We didn't have this problem with the old disposal but the old disposal was cracked.
We never use our dishwasher. The new disposal is the same brand and power rating but a different model. Old model has been discontinued by GE.
Any ideas why?

ETA:

Hubby pulled out the electrical plug for the disposal last night just in case it was a defective disposal but the water rose up from the disposal and flood the sink again when I checked at 1am.

I would guess there is a clog somewhere in the line. It might be in someone else's section. When that person runs the dishwasher the water backs up into your sink. Rotorooter fixed our problem when it did that. Expensive but I didn't have other options.

Hope that helps.

We had this problem in with a beach condo. The units above would put things that shouldn't go down a disposal down the disposal. It caused backups into our unit. We finally had to install a cut-off that blocked our pipes from the back-up. When it started flooding the second floor unit, the HOA decided it was a problem and paid to have the pipes well cleaned and did something to change the configuration so it didn't happen anymore. We still use the shut-off just in case.

I would guess there is a clog somewhere in the line. It might be in someone else's section. When that person runs the dishwasher the water backs up into your sink. Rotorooter fixed our problem when it did that. Expensive but I didn't have other options.

Hope that helps.

Thanks. We'll get our HOA to call their usual plumbers.

We finally had to install a cut-off that blocked our pipes from the back-up. ...... We still use the shut-off just in case.

We would probably have to install a cut-off too since we like to go on annual road trips. It was stinky enough (from stale dish detergent smell) after a day out and no fun worrying about flooding while on holiday.

Is any of this happening around the time a washer is going?

The washing machine plumbing is separate from the kitchen plumbing apparently and thankfully.  My neighbor had a problem with backflow when his upstairs neighbor installed the washing machine wrongly.  His laundry area got flooded.

I think because mine is a multi-storey condo, the pipes are more or less vertical so only one room (bathroom, laundry room, kitchen) gets affected whenever a common pipe gets clogged.

The plumber sent by the HOA spent 2hrs cleaning up the grease built-up that we won't be able to reach or clean anyway.  So hopefully that is the end of the problem.  We have been in this home for 8 years so I'm not surprise that the pipes were clogged by grease.