Menu

Easter brunch? Easter dinner? What are your traditions? What are you trying new this year?

unsinkable

We usually have Easter Pie, an Italian Catholic thing (or possibly just Italian-American Catholic thing - I'm not sure). Except this year I'll be gone all day. I'm going with a friend to see Jersey Boys and we're going to make a day of it in Orlando. The guys are on their own. They won't starve. Both dh and ds are good at cooking.

Usually a week before Easter all my extended family (parents, 3 brothers) and family friends decorate eggs in what is usally an all day affair. When it's all day we bring pot luck lunch and everyone pitches in to have pizzas delivered for dinner.

Last night, it was one of my brothers' turn to host and due to his and his wife's schedules, we could only do it for the evening.  We all brought pot luck Mexican food. We dyed 10 dozen eggs.  We must have at least 6 dozen plastic eggs filled with candies.

Easter Sunday for lunch we'll have a roast lamb, a sprial ham and typical picnic type sides with fresh fruits and summery type desserts and summery type drinks for 30-35 people.   It'll be pretty warm here. We usually get hallow chocolate eggs in beautiful foils and chill them for the adults, but they didn't have any this year.  I'm so disappointed.

We use traditional Ukranian (no, we're not Ukranian or  Eastern or Russian Orthodox) Egg dying supplies that you can buy here:

http://www.ukrainiangiftshop.com/pages/art.htm

We don't usually do traditional Ukranian motifs, just pretty designs.  These eggs must be raw and if you keep them long term, sealed.

We also make confetti filled eggs for an egg fight on Easter Sunday. Directions can be found here:

http://prudentbaby.com/2011/04/baby-kid/how-to-make-cascarones-confetti-eggs-2/

We have the typical grocery store egg sying kits for people who want to dye hard boiled eggs and eat them later.

We have the adults not dyeing eggs filling plastic ones with candies.

I'm making prime rib and ham (ham because DH doesn't like beef).

We dye eggs and do an egg hunt. 

That's about it.

​Wait. You dye eggs on Easter Sunday? That's cute! I think my boys are too used to waking up to the eggs being hidden.

​

We did lamb last year and ham for several years before that.  I don't know if I feel like ham...and I really don't feel like lamb because I was pregnant last year and now the smell is :ack2: .  I mean, it would be delicious.  But I don't want my house smelling of it.  So now we're thinking of a giant, yet relaxed brunch.

:bigear:

​Is this real? If yes, where can we buy??

I wish it was real. I'd buy them and never eat them because they'd be too cute.

I misread something on another thread. I thought they were talking about Minion Peeps and they were talking about Mini Peeps.

Sigh.

Maybe I could make some. Like morph some Peeps and add eyeball and stuff.

I'm thinking ham and cheese croissants and chocolate and Peep croissants from the other thread. Plus late brunch reservations.

We usually do ham (plus potatoes au gratin, asparagus, rolls, and trifle for dessert). But something like the above is sounding good for this year. I hate making a ham. It tastes good for one meal, but then the leftovers last forever even with the tiniest ham I can find. I have heard of at least three local places that do an Easter buffet, so I'm looking into that.

We have brunch at church. I signed up for a bread or pastry and am going to try to make cheese Danishes (never made them before). For dinner, I invested in a leg of lamb with the idea of doing shish kabob because I always had that growing up. We had an Armenian deli in town where you could order the meat pre-seasoned and I'm really missing that taste. But that is something else I've never made before and I need to do some recipe research online (unless one of you all has a great recipe for Armenian shish kabob...). And if that's not enough new stuff, for dessert I want to try cheesecake bars (they look more like cheesecake bites) from the King Arthur Flour website. I guess none of that is a tradition if I'm trying it all for the first time!

I misread something on another thread. I thought they were talking about Minion Peeps and they were talking about Mini Peeps.

Sigh.

You'd probably need to make homemade Peeps...

http://www.annies-eats.com/2014/04/11/marshmallow-bunnies/

We traditionally break the Lenten fast with others at church, after the midnight service, which ends at about 2:30 a.m.  So it's a late, late night!  It's a lot of fun and we look forward to it every year.  We used to make a big breakfast the next morning, because we haven't had eggs or cheese or sausage for several weeks, but this year I think I'll suggest a lite breakfast because we just go back to church again in the afternoon and have another huge meal together.  We have a lot of meat, cheese, eggs, and wine LOL. 

Sigh.

How about a minion made out of peeps??

http://despicableme.com/post/1432

Saturday we make and refrigerate resurrection biscuits to bake on Easter Morning. Other than that I have nothing planned yet. If the thought of a crowded and long wait at a restaurant didn't give me hives, I'd consider eating out. Looks like ham is on sale this week. Thank you for the reminder!

In our family holidays are always a big lunch. For Easter breakfast is at church after early service then lunch is some variation of ham, mac&cheese, salad, veggie fruit tray, probably a cooked veg, rolls or bread and pie. My brother, dh and dad demand pie. The kids can eat as much candy the rest of the day as they want. A rare, holiday treat.

All I know for sure is that I'm making these!

http://www.momalwaysfindsout.com/2013/02/easter-bunny-shaped-rolls/

If you google Pinterest bunny rolls fail, you'll get lots of giggles. That photo is stolen. Actually, that blog looks stolen from the other lady who stole it a couple of years ago... The real photo is a Japanese molded dough, and regular bread dough does not make a bunny shaped thusly. I made them in 2012. Using wet hands to smooth the points of the ears helps some. We had a demon bunny roll contest on FB after a bunch of us tried the recipe! :)

We've thrown out the idea of a traditional ham supper this year. Instead, my mom is making lasagna and my sisters and I will bring some sides.

One year we threw out our traditional Easter Pie idea and grilled out. Dh made salmon and we tossed some asparagus on the grill too. My mom, MIL and FIL came over and we all loved it. Tradition is important IMO, but sometimes it's good to try something different. And sometimes that's how new traditions start. 

If you google Pinterest bunny rolls fail, you'll get lots of giggles. That photo is stolen. Actually, that blog looks stolen from the other lady who stole it a couple of years ago... The real photo is a Japanese molded dough, and regular bread dough does not make a bunny shaped thusly. I made them in 2012. Using wet hands to smooth the points of the ears helps some. We had a demon bunny roll contest on FB after a bunch of us tried the recipe! :)

Oh that's funny!  Thanks for the head's up.  :)

We did lamb last year and ham for several years before that.  I don't know if I feel like ham...and I really don't feel like lamb because I was pregnant last year and now the smell is :ack2: .  I mean, it would be delicious.  But I don't want my house smelling of it.  So now we're thinking of a giant, yet relaxed brunch.

:bigear:

You could do what we do--lamb kabobs on the grill! Shoslick is skewered lamb and veggies. 

We cut up a leg of lamb, marinate in basically what is Italian dressing, and then skewer it and cook it on the grill while basting. We make separate skewers (metal) of red/green/yellow bell peppers, onions and mushrooms, and do a skewer of garlic cloves and one of cherry tomatoes--everything is basted in the same Italian dressing-type mixture. 

We separate the meat and veggies because it's easier to get them cooked right.

We serve over rice in a big bowl. 

YUUUUUMMMMY! It's my favorite meal all year.

And I can eat it on Atkins/South Beach induction, too! (Except the rice)

Just got back from the grocery store and I think I have my menu down.

Breakfast - resurrection biscuits, fruit, hardboiled (Easter) eggs

Dinner - ham, mashed sweet potatoes, asparagus with hollandaise, apple slaw, dinner rolls & butter, Key Lime Pie

The asparagus at the store was pretty pathetic looking, and I forgot the jumbo refrigerated biscuits for the resurrection biscuits, so I'll have to go back.

Tradition is that we go to my mom's house and she makes ham. I have a HUGE amount of work at church that day for the music so I'm not cooking. Saturday, I'm going to make a fruit bowl to take. Traditionally, we also pray that my SIL does not bring anything to dinner besides a salad because she cannot cook, her food is genuinely inedible and always horribly bitter, and she gets offended if we don't gobble it up. Mom and my MIL, two great cooks, will make the ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, asparagus, and pie. They may put out some fresh veggies and dip.

I think there will be an egg hunt for my great niece. There isn't anyone else in the family young enough to do "kid" things with anymore.

I usually do ham and eggs brunch food, but this year I am trying a lamb roast. Keeping the sides simple: roasted potatoes, steamed asparagus, a nice green salad and fresh strawberries with cream for dessert.

What condiments go with lamb, besides mint jelly? (which I will serve, but don't really like).

Oh, and my appetizers will be jelly beans and chocolate! :)

Resurrection Cookies?  Resurrection Biscuits?  

I have never heard of such things in my entire life.  I just looked them up in case I knew them as different thing.  Nope.  Never heard of them.   The things you learn on this board.....

We're going out for brunch to a restaurant that gets great brunch reviews, but I've only ever been there for drinks.  It should be fun!  The menu looks great.

DH has to work.  I'm taking the kids to my in laws and we'll have breakfast. I don't know what all they're making, I was told to bring nothing but the kids, myself, and 2 baskets.  Then on to my parent's house where we have thrown tradition out the window and are ordering Chinese.

Or throwing tradition out the window might be our new tradition.  For Christmas we had lasagna for lunch and everyone was ready to leave around 3, completely not how things used to be done.  :)

We are making resurrection rolls. Marshmallows rolled in melted butter, cinnamon sugar and then wrapped in a crescent roll. Bake and the inside is empty when you take them out. Done together with reading Scripture, John 19 I think, it can I be a good, hands on activity for youngers.

Most of time we get together with dh's family for big dinner (ham & all the sides) and usually an egg hunt for the kiddos.  This year there has been some talk about a simpler meal (fine by me).  

Some years we haven't gone to bil's.  If we don't go we just stay home and hang out.

I just got word it won't be a simple meal.  Ham & all the fixing.  I received a text telling me everything I was to to bring.

When my nieces were little, my mother wanted to do a big day and huge lunch (where everyone cooked all day) but my SIL hated that and she had sandwiches (which made my mother angry) 

I sort of do both----

I have a "fancy" ham dinner the night before, then we use the leftover ham for eggs benedict and we have ham sandwiches for lunch on Easter Sunday. 

We always make resurrection cookies the night before and I always make a chocolate pecan pie (or two).

Sigh.

Ha! Did you ever do that science experiment where you put peeps into the microwave?' You could totally do it...after they grow to outrageous proportions, of course:)

Although I don't recommend doing it on Easter. With tiny tots who adore the cuteness of peeps. Just because mom and dad are chemists who wanted to see what would happen.😩

ETA:

Apparently you can...

http://despicableme.com/post/1432

Leg of lamb, mint sauce, lemon risotto, sugar snap peas

Chocolate egg nest cake (Nigella Lawson recipe -- has robins egg candy on top)

Coeur a la creme type cheese, strawberries with raspberry sauce

We do Ukrainian style eggs the easy way, with egg wraps, shrink wrap designs that fit over the egg. We get ours from Leemar, but there are lots on line.

My lamb came out great! A 4.5 lb boneless elegant from Costco, seasoned with Penzey's lamb seasoning and lots of garlic cloves. Cooked on 400 for about 90 minutes and it was medium rare in the middle and medium on the ends with a crisp, browned outside edge.

Leftovers for lunch tomorrow! :)

Am I the only lazy person who thinks candy holidays get me off the hook for dessert?

I tried Julia Childs' sandwich bread recipe. It's a great, soft, sliceable, white bread. http://www.food.com/recipe/julia-childs-white-bread-9032 I served it with sliced, med-rare roast beef, gravy, potatoes, and carrots. Earlier today we ate hard boiled eggs, bacon, and cheese. I forgot to serve the fruit salad so it's still in there :-/