Menu

What are you supposed to do when your dentist is closed and you're in terrible pain?

ILiveInFlipFlops

My mouth hurts so bad I can hardly even think straight. I thought I could make it through to Thursday when they're open again, but I don't know if I can! There's a possibility that I have an infection under my crown (or in the tooth next to it), so I know that shouldn't wait, but where else would I go? Would urgent care help with this kind of thing? Do I just pick another dentist and go there instead? At this point, I'd seriously consider having someone hit me with a brick just so that the pain will be centered somewhere else for awhile  :crying:

Thanks. 

ETA: Just to clarify, I waited to call them because I thought this was a result of grinding, and I still think it might be. I thought if I just babied it and wore my mouthpiece like I'm supposed to, whatever I injured could heal itself. That doesn't seem to be happening, and unfortunately, by the time my ibuprofen officially wore off, they were already closed for the day and for tomorrow. 

I would still call them. At least with mine, they have a number on their message you can call even when they are closed and tell you what to do. Generally they will either come in themselves after hours or refer to to the dentist that is doing their emergency stuff.

I had that happen last Memorial Day weekend on Thursday night. They were closed til Tuesday. They talked me through everything on the phone I could do myself and at what point I had to be seen. I was able to wait til they opened but they would have come in if I needed it. Of course I do have a really nice dentist. :)

My mouth hurts so bad I can hardly even think straight. I thought I could make it through to Thursday when they're open again, but I don't know if I can! There's a possibility that I have an infection under my crown (or in the tooth next to it), so I know that shouldn't wait, but where else would I go? Would urgent care help with this kind of thing? Do I just pick another dentist and go there instead? At this point, I'd seriously consider having someone hit me with a brick just so that the pain will be centered somewhere else for awhile  :crying:

Thanks. 

ETA: Just to clarify, I waited to call them because I thought this was a result of grinding, and I still think it might be. I thought if I just babied it and wore my mouthpiece like I'm supposed to, whatever I injured could heal itself. That doesn't seem to be happening, and unfortunately, by the time my ibuprofen officially wore off, they were already closed for the day and for tomorrow. 

I just wanted to say that the next time you're in pain, leave it to the dentist to diagnose. Don't put off visiting him/her for any reason. 

I've done this. It's stupid.  :o

When dh was in so much dental pain he got a little scary (says he didn't mean it, but I'm still not so certain), I called his dentist at 1a.m. He met us at his office and gave him numbing shots to get him to the next day. Dh was already on narcotic pain pills waiting for a root canal. They didn't touch his pain. Especially at night, when he lay down...So, yes, you are allowed to call at night in case of emergency; just like the regular doctor. (Only the dentist might just meet you at his office.)

Miraculously, I woke up this morning and the pain was 90% gone. I think yesterday was that "darkest before the dawn" day, where you think you can't possibly take another second of it, and then it finally starts to ease off. I even managed to chew my breakfast today, when yesterday I could barely swallow without the suction hurting my teeth.

I took tons of ibuprofen yesterday, but even 800 mg was barely touching the pain. I did buy acetaminophen to alternate, but then I realized that since I was in for the night, I could just take a Percocet. I didn't even take Percocet when I had my kidney stones, so that says something for the pain I was in yesterday! But the Percocet made a HUGE difference, and I was able to sleep the whole night. I also started icing it yesterday, which seems to make it feel worse in the short term but better in the long term. This is the second time this has happened to me, but the first time that the pain has been in the corresponding bottom teeth too, which is why I suspected it was from grinding. I managed to keep my mouthpiece in for two whole nights, too, so now I just have to keep that up. 

Whew, that was a bad time there. Thanks for the advice and commiseration!

So sorry you were in so much pain. I don't take much medication, but I always get any pain med scripts filled just for situations like that. When you are in real pain, it's hard to get; when you are in little pain or no pain, it's different. My husband was in agony from kidney stones, but he only got Tylenol!

So sorry you were in so much pain. I don't take much medication, but I always get any pain med scripts filled just for situations like that. When you are in real pain, it's hard to get; when you are in little pain or no pain, it's different. My husband was in agony from kidney stones, but he only got Tylenol!

WOW! Kidney stones run in my family, and I've never known anyone who didn't get a prescription for Percocet or the equivalent in the middle of an attack! That just seems cruel :( Yes, I always fill the prescriptions too. These Percs are from my last kidney stone attack. I've not needed them before, but I always take them with me when I travel because I'm paranoid that I'll have another attack and decide I need them  :svengo: