Menu

How do you do your grocery shopping?

Amira

Do you go yourself? How often? Or does someone else in the family do it? What stores do you like to shop at? Do you go to lots of different places? Do you like to have the groceries delivered? Do you hate it, tolerate it, just get it done, or love it?

My favorite way is to walk (then I don't have to worry about exercising later) and to go out nearly every day (I sort of have to when I go on foot). If I live in a place with bazaars or street markets I shop there instead of traditional stores, or I stop at little stores that have a bit of everything. I do nearly all the food shopping for the family without help and I like it.

I WISH I could walk to a street of little stores and bazaars!!  I try to grow a lot of organic vegetables, berries, herbs, potatoes, and some corn.   I need to do more canning and freezing this year!

We usually have a calf to fill the freezer, and we have fresh farm eggs from our free range chickens.   Still, it is daunting for me to drive so far to get sales ( Kroger) and some close out stores along with thrift stores.

I have to grocery shop weekly and dh picks up a few things if we are out on his way home.  He works close to a place that sells fresh eggs if we are running low.  I would ask dh to do more shopping but we would starve if he did!  He tends to buy all Name brand and not pay attention to the prices.  Sometimes I take a child or 2 so we can divide and conquer!  

DD & I go together. On occasion, a friend will go with us as well. We go anywhere from once a week to 3-4 times a week depending on what we need, errands, etc. Since we use the bus to get around, I am limited to what I can carry home in my bags unless my friend gives us a ride. We shop primarily at HEB {regional chain} due to their freshness policy. It takes us on average 3-4 hours to do a full shop, as it involves checking the entire store {produce, meat, dairy, bakery, and floral primarily} for out of date items as we can get a in date one free with the store freshness policy. Doing that really helps stretch the grocery budget & allows us to try things I wouldn't buy due to cost, but since we got it free & fell in love with it I now might buy occasionally. I also coupon shop, which takes a while as well. I buy a lot of loss leaders & coupon cheap / free stuff.

DD isn't a huge fan of grocery shopping, but she is happy with a book &  doughnut.

Once in a blue moon I'll get Schwans to deliver a few things. Mostly ice cream - it's hard to get that home on the bus in summer here without it melting. That reminds me I need to look into putting in an order now that it's warming up.

We work with a rotating stockpile of food in the house, so really I only need perishables most of the time, and I can in theory go a couple of weeks without shopping.

I have to take my kids so we hit aldi, armed with a list and cash. Get in and get out. Usually get most on my list, usually miss something, often end up with extra stuff. Then we go home and I take the afternoon just to recover. ;)

I like to go by myself.  That happens about half the time. I love and on some level I am probably addicted to couponing.  Kroger is my favorite store.  I have gone to Target a couple of times and used their coupons and cartwheel, too.   I shop the sales and match them with coupons.  I try to stock up on things when they are on sale and when I have the extra $$.  I drive because nothing is in walking distance here and I usually have a pretty good haul of groceries so walking with $150 groceries would not be feasible.

Safeway - 500 feet away so we walk there as a family.  My local store is a 24/7 supermarket so we can go as late as we like

Sprouts - when we happen to go to the bank while kids are in Saturday class as it is next door to the bank.

Trader Joes - on weekends and it is my kids favorite store.

Whole Foods, Farmers Market - when we happen to stop by.

If we only need to top up on milk, than hubby just get it on the way home since no one is picky about milk.

I do most of the shopping.  I go roughly once a week, occasionally a second time, or occasionally DH picks up one or two items for me on his way home from work.  I do a lot of shopping at Aldi, Giant if I can't get to Aldi (Giant is slightly closer) or if Aldi doesn't have something.  I also have a BJ's membership, and I buy certain things there.  When we can, we also shop at local farm markets or the local small creamery.  I also order stuff from amazon sometimes and occasionally shop at small health food stores, but we don't have Whole Foods or Trader Joe's here.  I almost always have all five children with me, although I did get the luxury of shopping with just my two smallest boys (7 months and 2.5) the other day, and that was nice.  Truth be told, a lot of effort and time are put into grocery shopping logistics at our house because nothing is that close; I hit Aldi and/or one Giant when I'm doing our weekly activities/errands/library, but I hit a different Giant if I'm only getting groceries or if I need to hit the library in that direction.

I drive and usually the kids go with me.   Depending on what I need is where I go.  I don't love shopping but I don't hate it either (hate the paying part  :glare: ).  

Where I go depends on what I am needing and what is on sale.  I try to really stock up on sale items so my shopping is generally for perishables and sale items.  We don't have a lot of choices around here either.  The high priced grocery (only buy the sale items here), the cheaper grocery and walmart. 

I plan a weekly menu and keep track of anything else we are lacking.

once a week I drive to the grocery store and pick up a weeks worth of groceries. I go alone, but everyone else puts the stuff away. I stop at the co-op and pick up specialty stuff (local tofu etc). We belong to a milk cooperative so we walk over and pick up our milk weekly.

Done

Most often now hubby and I go together for one of our "dates."  We hit the locally owned grocery store and walk every aisle no matter how little we need as it's decent exercise.

Before kids started leaving home I'd take one of them with me most of the time for mom/son time.

When we don't do the local store we hit Wally World.  Some things are just quite a bit less expensive there, so I wait until I need a decent number of those items and make the trek to the nearby town.

When up in NY we love shopping in Wegmans.  They're my all time favorite grocery store, but the nearest one to us is about an hour away and I've never been there.

I used to shop once a week.  Now hubby and I might stop by the local store just to pick up something for supper.

We also grow quite a few of our own veggies, and once in a while will hit the local market for other things, but generally, most stuff comes from either the local store or Wally World.  I don't particularly like shopping, so have no desire to hit all the stores around.

Dh and I sit down every Saturday and plan the menu for the week (or on Sunday if Saturday was busy) going through the calendar to determine which days are easier and which days are really busy.  Although I try to get meats from local organic providers, we get much of our meat from a local butcher.  Then we go to Trader Joe's for the rest of it.  We make an occasional trip to Costco or Whole Foods.  DH does much of the grocery shopping as he seems to like it - he loves the samples.  I would rather shop on a weekday morning.  During the week, I stop when I am out on errands and pick up odds and ends that either he forgot or that we have run out of. 

If we shop together, he takes part of the list to the butcher and I head to TJ's (they are both in the same shopping center.)  Sometimes my daughter goes to the store with him for the samples:). 

We don't clip coupons because we don't use many national brands. We try to eat more of a whole foods diet and there aren't many coupons for that kind of food.  I am willing to spend more on quality food and spend less on other things. 

ETA:  The butcher and TJs are within walking distance, but we often drive.  In the summer, we ride bikes with the Burley in the back.  The Whole Foods and Costco are about 3 miles away - definitely drive there.  Traffic is too busy for bikes. 

dh gets paid once a month, so I do all my big shopping that day. Costco, Trader Joe's...

I hit this grocery salvage store place once a week. You never know what they are going to have. They always have some good gluten free stuff for super cheap. Loaves of GF bread for $1---when they have it. They had GF brownies today :D

I take my littlest and one of the older ones to help me when I do the big shopping.

We do the main shopping trip once a week--youngest and I while her sister is in her public school class. Costco once every 6 weeks, Trader Joe's twice a month, specific sales at a different store when they have a good deal, and some specialty stores once in awhile. It's nice to go late morning--usually a pretty peaceful thing to do.

When I had our 4th child DH took over the weekly shop.  I meal plan and give him a list, he goes on a Friday afternoon after work while I'm working.  He goes to Aldi first then Coles - they're in the same local shopping centre.  He generally spends less when he goes alone!  We used to all go together as a family on a Saturday morning.

Every week after dance class, DD and I run all the errands.  Usually it is library first and then Safeway.  I use the Safeway app to put coupons and special deals on my card.  We have a milkman now, so we probably won't have to stop at the grocery store every week.  If we need anything from Costco, DH will stop there after work.  Target or Walmart are just once in a while stops (maybe once every two months or so).

I like grocery shopping, especially if I have a list.  ^_^

Do you go yourself? How often? Or does someone else in the family do it? What stores do you like to shop at? Do you go to lots of different places? Do you like to have the groceries delivered? Do you hate it, tolerate it, just get it done, or love it?

My favorite way is to walk (then I don't have to worry about exercising later) and to go out nearly every day (I sort of have to when I go on foot). If I live in a place with bazaars or street markets I shop there instead of traditional stores, or I stop at little stores that have a bit of everything. I do nearly all the food shopping for the family without help and I like it.

I go by myself. I try to go no more than once a week. I want to go to one store, maybe two, and I want to get in and get out. I don't hate it or anything; I just want to be efficient.

I try not to have to do the grocery shopping.  I am strategic to have small lists prepared for the hubby to pick up things on his way home from work  :lol: I am not sure what's wrong with me but I have a serious aversion to grocery shopping.  When I must venture out I mostly shop at Woodmans.  I can get everything I need in one stop at decent prices.  Sometimes I go to Aldi but the fact that I can't get everything I need is a deterrent for me.

Dh does the shopping, usually on TH when I have class. We make a list and have the meals at the bottom of it. He tears this off and posts it on the fridge. I sometimes supplement with trips during the week, but that's mostly to pick up a little more produce or something special for myself.

He started shopping because he was giving me time w/o the kids--he takes them with him when they are little. My ds in Asheville credits his dad for teaching him how to shop--list, coupons, shop the flyer/loss leaders, compare prices, etc.

The grocery store is my happy place. :D

I shop by myself 3-4 times a week. I coupon and I'm usually doing totals of $30 - 50 before coupons ;) Each visit might take me 30 - 60 minutes. I only shop at one grocery chain and a local produce stand, for the most part.

I consider the grocery shopping one of my (4) part time jobs. I saved $6000 last year with my total out of pocket for our family of 4 was $4024. I'm kind of proud of that. (Organic milk, too)

I typically despise grocery shopping ... Amazon.com, especially Subscribe'n'Save, is a good friend of mine! My current routine is to make my meal plan, create a shopping list from that, and make one weekly trip to the supermarket, hoping against hope that they have everything I need! (It's not a given here--even something as simple as tomato paste is not always available, which is one of the reasons I've become such a fan of Amazon.)

My favorite grocery shopping routine was when I lived in Cambodia. I'd do my Amazon purchases and my weekly supermarket run, but I also lived 2 blocks from a local market. I had no interest in picking out the best produce (I'm bad at it anyway) or haggling in Khmer over the prices (bad at that, too), but my housekeeper had been doing those things her whole life. So when I made out my shopping list, I'd also make a list of fresh produce and which day it was needed. Every day or two, my housekeeper would walk down and buy what was needed, as well as extra fruit when things looked particularly good--as they almost always did; oh the mango! It always was fresh and delicious and less than half the price I would have paid, either at the supermarket or at the local market.

At our next post, where we'll be moving next year, I think I'm unlikely to do much driving. I'll get around on foot and by metro. I'm hoping that there will be a supermarket and/or smaller shops near enough that I can make it part of our routine to walk to the store(s) every day or two and buy what we need, hopefully without haggling.

Once a week in the evening.

Alone. As soon as dh arrives home from work I leave homemade pizza at home for everyone else and treat myself to a fast food hamburger.

I sit in the car and eat my dinner in blessed silence.

First is the library. I return or get any books that are on hold.

Next is Aldi. I take a cooler to put the cold stuff into.

Last is Walmart for things Aldi doesn't have.

After shopping I treat myself to curly fries from Arby's that I eat on the drive home.

Grocery shopping alone makes me feel both relaxed and depressed. I don't know why.

I typically despise grocery shopping ... Amazon.com, especially Subscribe'n'Save, is a good friend of mine! My current routine is to make my meal plan, create a shopping list from that, and make one weekly trip to the supermarket, hoping against hope that they have everything I need! (It's not a given here--even something as simple as tomato paste is not always available, which is one of the reasons I've become such a fan of Amazon.)

My favorite grocery shopping routine was when I lived in Cambodia. I'd do my Amazon purchases and my weekly supermarket run, but I also lived 2 blocks from a local market. I had no interest in picking out the best produce (I'm bad at it anyway) or haggling in Khmer over the prices (bad at that, too), but my housekeeper had been doing those things her whole life. So when I made out my shopping list, I'd also make a list of fresh produce and which day it was needed. Every day or two, my housekeeper would walk down and buy what was needed, as well as extra fruit when things looked particularly good--as they almost always did; oh the mango! It always was fresh and delicious and less than half the price I would have paid, either at the supermarket or at the local market.

At our next post, where we'll be moving next year, I think I'm unlikely to do much driving. I'll get around on foot and by metro. I'm hoping that there will be a supermarket and/or smaller shops near enough that I can make it part of our routine to walk to the store(s) every day or two and buy what we need, hopefully without haggling.

I don't mind bargaining in general, but I don't like to bargain over food prices. Luckily I've lived places (so far) where I feel like they give me a reasonable price or I'd probably have to change my system.

I go myself.  I try to go only once a week so I buy one of those plan things.  I used to plan myself and it worked, but I always forgot something.  Every.singe.week.  And who can go into the grocery store and only buy 1 thing??

I go to one store, no time to go to several.  And I wonder, yes I am saving money on the groceries, but am I spending the savings on the gas getting to the second store?  To warm here in the summer to leave stuff in the car and make it all one trip.

I try to stay out of stores as much as possible as I can't spend when I'm not shopping.  That includes Amazon's storefront.

But like everyone else I have no one store where I can get everything, so...

Once or twice a month to Costco.

Couple times a week to Aldi.  Diary products and eggs!

Once a week or every two weeks to the nicer grocery store for deli meats and the Greek yogurt my husband likes best (only place we can get it).

Once a week or more to the produce market.

Once a week or every two weeks to the big cheap grocery store that has the stuff I can't get elsewhere, including personal care items.

We do buy a fair bit at Amazon.  I just bought a sixpack of deodorant, and there is a type of cracker we like that seems to be available only from them.   And my husband just discovered ShaveMob for razors. 

I do like poking around ethnic markets when I have time.  I love it especially when the storekeepers like to answer questions. (That doesn't always happen.)

ETA: my daughter usually goes with me because she likes! to! shop!  My husband and I will occasionally go together and reminisce about our early days of dating and marriage when we'd shop the Very Nice Markets for "fancy" dinner food, wine... Aldi is not quite the same, but it's still fun to go with him.

I go to Aldi once a week for staples (cereal, coffee, milk, fruit, oil, etc).  Then I go into Costco (which is right next door) for bulk stuff (snacks, eggs, butter, frozen berries, cleaners, etc).  On the weekend, dh gets a few things at the cheapo store (like drink mixes and dollar bags of frozen veg) and then goes to the regular supermarket for cold cuts, bread, and meat.  We do have several great farmers markets and asian/ethnic supermarkets around here, but I don't go as often as I should.

I enjoy cooking and despise grocery shopping.

It makes me really happy to place a weekly online order and have it delivered. When I get out of this habit, I have to walk to the store every day. Sometimes I make DS walk with me so we can carry more, but I prefer to be out by myself.

Eta: I love to go to grocery stores when I am traveling. That is fun.

When I actually have a menu, I go once a week. Otherwise I'm there every other day. My grocery store is close enough to walk, so I enjoy that when the weather is nice. It's a small Food Lion, and going frequently allows me to catch their unadvertised meat sales.

Sometimes I enjoy grocery shopping and sometimes I find it a tedious chore.  It just depends on my mood.  I usually shop alone, and go two or three times a week.  I absolutely despise having to get huge amounts of groceries at once, so going several times a week and getting smaller amounts works best for me.  I do most of my shopping at Walmart and Harris Teeter, both of which are within three miles of our house.  There's an Aldi a mile up the street, but I've never felt the love.  I wish we had a Costco close by.

Every other week. :) Sometimes I do it, sometime Dh & I do it together, something he does it himself. We usually go to ALDI first, and then pick up whatever they don't have that I need at Pick n' Save or Walmart. I don't mind it, I guess. Especially since the library and Goodwill are pretty close to ALDI, and I can sometimes talk Dh into letting do some book browsing...  :lol: Dh doesn't like it, but he's very sweet about getting the groceries himself if I'm busy with home life on our shopping day. :) I have a great husband!  :001_wub:

We're looking at relocating in a couple months... First time I'll have a little grocery store within walking distance! We'll have to reevaluate at that point...weighing cost vs. convenience...