Menu

Replacement for Oklahoma State U Spanish program

Ds was going to take the intense summer course for Spanish 3 offered online by Oklahoma State University.  They have a notice that they are closing their Spanish program as of August 1.  I would still like to have ds take an online third year Spanish course over the summer. Do I have any options?

Ray Leven does individualized courses/tutorials in addition to his leveled school-year classes. You could inquire with him and see if it can work. I think he teaches some over the summer, but I am not sure. I don't know any more about the private/individualized courses, as my dc take the standard classes. I just know he does it b/c dd's friend does it. (It's an online friend, met through and AoPS class . . . so I don't know the mom or any more details.) Ray is a great fellow and a great teacher. My kids have learned tons this year. (dd17 in Honors 4 and ds14 in Honors 2) 

https://sites.google.com/site/spanishlearningonline/

I'll second Mr. Leven!  My ds 13 is finishing Spanish 1 this year.   I think his hourly rate for tutoring is not inexpensive, but he'll maximize every second of learning, including out of class opportunities.   It's my son's favorite class (and he really didn't want to take Spanish, just knew he needed to).

I feel your pain. I signed my daughter up for OSU Spanish III for next year in March (yep, last month) and bought the book. They accepted my registration and my money. My daughter talks to the teacher every week without fail. If not for your post, I still would not know that the entire program had been cancelled. Both the teacher and the administrator said it was not their problem and didn't offer any information on possible other Spanish courses. When confronted about the information, the teacher told my daughter that she didn't need to speak to her again because my dd had basically finished Spanish II. My dd cried. Keep in mind this is a woman that my daughter talked to weekly from September to April for two years. They did refund my money but, wow, what an ugly way to end the program.

When confronted about the information, the teacher told my daughter that she didn't need to speak to her again because my dd had basically finished Spanish II. My dd cried. Keep in mind this is a woman that my daughter talked to weekly from September to April for two years. They did refund my money but, wow, what an ugly way to end the program.

It didn't feel right to "like" your post, but I wanted to say what a horrible way to end a 'relationship'!  :grouphug:

I wonder if the teachers & admin had some sort of horrible falling out & the teacher is upset about losing her job? I just can't imagine being that mean!

Check with your local university and community colleges. Spanish 1, 2, and 3 are usually offered each and every summer by the schools in my state. Often times online.

I know that www.flvc.org / Florida Virtual Campus has the listings for a couple of Spanish 3 courses. They will be expensive if you aren't in State, but I don't know how the rates go for highschool or dual enrolled students.

TTUISD offers 3 years of Spanish. Here's the link to their online catalog. Their "online" courses require a traditional textbook be purchased. The Final Exams are 25% of the semester grade and must be given by an  Approved Proctor.    I agree, that was not a nice way for OSU to end that program... https://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/ec2k/Heading.asp?heading_id=270

TTUISD offers 3 years of Spanish. Here's the link to their online catalog. Their "online" courses require a traditional textbook be purchased. The Final Exams are 25% of the semester grade and must be given by an Approved Proctor. I agree, that was not a nice way for OSU to end that program... https://www.depts.ttu.edu/uc/ec2k/Heading.asp?heading_id=270

I have had awful experience with TTUISD and would not recommend them to anyone. And I never received Refund after dropping class.

A huge "thank you" to everyone for your suggestions and a :grouphug: to everyone that has a student with Oklahoma State. How disappointing in all respects.

We had a great Skype conference with Ray Leven. I think it was a bit eye opening for my son to be earning an "A" in his Spanish 2 class at the public high school, but to find that he will need to do some review work. Sailor Dude will work on Spanish 3 with private tutoring through the summer and if he works hard, he can return to the ps for Spanish 4 or stay with Mr. Leven and his classes in the fall. Mr. Leven talked with ds about "owning" the language and that is important to ds, so I think this arrangement will be a most satisfactory one. Of course, I will be "rearranging" next year's school budget, but I have finally learned to accept that as all part of homeschooling. :D

Really happy to hear you had a great conversation with Mr. Leven.  I hope your son is as happy with the summer course as my son has been with Spanish 1.  DS is even *sad* that Spanish doesn't continue over the summer, and asked Mr. Leven to give him work so he could keep up with his skills.   

I have had awful experience with TTUISD and would not recommend them to anyone. And I never received Refund after dropping class.

I am sorry to hear about your experience with TTUISD. My DD has been a TTUISD student since October 2012 and we are *extremely* happy with TTUISD. Also, I communicate with 2 other TTUISD families. One family has 3 DC in TTUISD and the other has 2 DC in TTUISD. Those families are also very happy with TTUISD.  Again, I am very sorry to hear that you were/are unhappy with TTUISD.