Menu

JAWM Convention workshop schedule is out for the local one- disappointed :(

While I live near a convention that is pretty religious, normally I can find at least 1 workshop I want to attend in each session. Not this year. I get in free, and I'm still considering skipping it. Or just going to the vendor hall for a couple of hours & calling it good.

Out of a total of 64 workshops, here is the breakdown of topics:

22 Infomercial workshops - mostly from either IEW, Writing Strands or BJU

16 workshops on family topics - including family budgets {with America's Cheapest Family}, discipline, how to show love to your husband/wife, and parental rights

10 Workshops on Homeschooling - mostly geared towards "harried moms" or the "homeschooling education of Jesus"

4 Workshops on Beginning Homeschooling {the same 4 workshops that are offered at EVERY year's convention AND every other month through the year}

4 Workshops on Homeschooling special needs children

4 Workshops on Nutrition & whole foods

3 Science Workshops, all from a creationist perspective

Just 25% of the workshops at the entire convention have something to do with actual homeschooling....there is something wrong with that IMO. I am tempted to write the local sponsoring organization a letter about it, but I'm sure it would just get tossed.

Yep.  I have voted with my feet (and dollars) and skipped our local convention for the past few years.  It seems to be working because we're getting fewer and fewer vendors each year.  Maybe the planning committee will figure it out but I doubt it.

What kind of workshops would you like to attend. You might write a letter with suggestions or offer to be a speaker if you have a certain area of expertise. I'm sure these workshops meet the needs of others. This might be an opportunity to fill in the gap.

That sounds like CHEA's convention. I was bummed when I saw their schedule so I checked out GHC's schedule and it was surprisingly much better. Do you have any other convention options in your area?

It's FEAST :( Locally, we have a very new Catholic Convention & then this FEAST Convention. Neither fit well for me really, but FEAST is the more secular of the two actually. We had a secular convention here 4 years ago, but it was a one time thing & the group organizing it flopped.

I know there are other conventions in our state, but it would require getting a sitter for dd or dragging her along on a multi-day trip to another city in our state using megabus & city bus to get there. Maybe when she is older & more able to deal with long outings & not melt down due to her ASD.

Someone should totally do a virtual secular convention that doesn't cost an arm & a leg & can be watched in "spurts" while dealing with kids.

Homeschool conventions should have workshops about...homeschooling.

The state Christian homeschool association in California (CHEA) had a policy for many years that workshop presenters were *not* authors, and especially not exhibitors. They could do exhibitor workshops and talk about their products, but they could not do any other workshops. I think that's an excellent policy, which I don't think CHEA adheres to any longer (Cathy Duffy, who was on CHEA's board of directors back in the day, promoted that policy).

I think exhibitor workshops are good, too, but they should be separate from the other workshops.

It's FEAST :( Locally, we have a very new Catholic Convention & then this FEAST Convention. Neither fit well for me really, but FEAST is the more secular of the two actually. We had a secular convention here 4 years ago, but it was a one time thing & the group organizing it flopped.

I know there are other conventions in our state, but it would require getting a sitter for dd or dragging her along on a multi-day trip to another city in our state using megabus & city bus to get there. Maybe when she is older & more able to deal with long outings & not melt down due to her ASD.

Someone should totally do a virtual secular convention that doesn't cost an arm & a leg & can be watched in "spurts" while dealing with kids.

Are you going to the Catholic convention in San Antonio in June? Did you know there will be one in Austin in July? It will be smaller than SA's, but if you can't make the one in SA, you might consider ours. :-)

Are you going to the Catholic convention in San Antonio in June? Did you know there will be one in Austin in July? It will be smaller than SA's, but if you can't make the one in SA, you might consider ours. :-)

I don't know if I will be going yet to the Catholic one in San Antonio. Last year I worked one of the booths at that convention, so didn't get to hear any of the talks but did get to see the vendor hall when it was slow & I could step away for a few minutes. I haven't heard yet if they will be needing folks to work booths again, but I am hoping to for a little extra funds.

I'm not Catholic though. Former Catholic, now Muslim. Still have lots of friends in the local Catholic HSing community though.

Oh, dear.  I haven't checked the actual workshops yet.  Doing that now.  There are no conventions in my area so my mom and I were planning to go to FEAST since we have relatives in S.A.and had some business stuff to attend to nearby.   I was hoping for a more balanced presentation of ideas/support/etc for homeschooling in general.  I guess we will still go since we have business to take care of in the same area, and I usually find useful books/curriculum dirt cheap in the FEAST used book store, but I am honestly disappointed now.   :(

Just read through and it seems like there are fewer vendors than last year?  I went last year but have never gone prior to that.

Oh, dear.  I haven't checked the actual workshops yet.  Doing that now.  There are no conventions in my area so my mom and I were planning to go to FEAST since we have relatives in S.A.and had some business stuff to attend to nearby.   I was hoping for a more balanced presentation of ideas/support/etc for homeschooling in general.  I guess we will still go since we have business to take care of in the same area, and I usually find useful books/curriculum dirt cheap in the FEAST used book store, but I am honestly disappointed now.   :(

Just read through and it seems like there are fewer vendors than last year?  I went last year but have never gone prior to that.

It's not actually at FEAST this year - so no used book room. It's at some dude ranch outside of town. I'm not that keen on that change either, but I think they did it due to some issues with the FEAST campus a/c. We normally head for the used book room as well. I am betting the main FEAST location will be closed during the convention since it is elsewhere - which makes no sense as they have a LOT of folks who come & buy during convention.

The vendor list never seems to have all the vendors that actually show up. I go just to see Sonlight's table so I can screen books before buying. Last year wasn't that great for vendors - the year before had a lot more.

If you are local {or come here often} - FEAST's used book swap will be in June. Dirt cheap stuff mostly, and pretty wide variety. If I were coming from out of town & had to pick between the used book swap & the convention with the workshops given - I'd wait 3 weeks for the book swap :)

I've been debating going on Thursday since the vendor hall is free.  I've never really enjoyed talks at conventions anyway.  I only definitely need stuff from IEW and I could just order it directly, but ordering at a convention means you get extra bits free.  I'm not sure it's worth changing one of our normal taekwondo nights that work plus I need to go help my mom for a week some time in May since my uncle died on Saturday.  Sounds like it really just makes more sense for me to wait until the used book swap in June.

Sounds just like my local convention this year. I went and listened to Diana Waring's keynote, a session I had heard last year. Then headed into the vendor area, got a couple of questions answered, got to look through something I was considering, talked to a friend I hadn't seen for a few months and left. 

The first few years I homeschooled, I loved that convention. Now there is just so little information on homeschooling and what there is, is all done by vendors and mostly repeated year to year. My kids are nearly grown and I should just skip it. I think of it as my renewal time. Time to connect with other homeschoolers and feel less isolated. I guess I'll have to stick to TWTM boards instead.

Yeah, I skipped my local convention this year. It seemed really boring, same stuff as last year, same boring vendors. Only one or two talks I was kinda interested in. Really wish there were inclusive/secular homeschooling conventions.

Really wish there were inclusive/secular homeschooling conventions.

This!  This!  and This!  Sadly living in the area I live in this will probably NEVER happen.  In fact, I'm surprised I don't have to sign a statement of faith just to walk in the front door (if I were to go...which I won't). 

I think it's great that these kinds of conventions are available for those they cater to, but man, I'd love to go to a convention that focused on academics. 

This!  This!  and This!  Sadly living in the area I live in this will probably NEVER happen.  In fact, I'm surprised I don't have to sign a statement of faith just to walk in the front door (if I were to go...which I won't). 

I think it's great that these kinds of conventions are available for those they cater to, but man, I'd love to go to a convention that focused on academics. 

Why don't you organize one?

It's not actually at FEAST this year - so no used book room. It's at some dude ranch outside of town. I'm not that keen on that change either, but I think they did it due to some issues with the FEAST campus a/c. We normally head for the used book room as well. I am betting the main FEAST location will be closed during the convention since it is elsewhere - which makes no sense as they have a LOT of folks who come & buy during convention.

The vendor list never seems to have all the vendors that actually show up. I go just to see Sonlight's table so I can screen books before buying. Last year wasn't that great for vendors - the year before had a lot more.

If you are local {or come here often} - FEAST's used book swap will be in June. Dirt cheap stuff mostly, and pretty wide variety. If I were coming from out of town & had to pick between the used book swap & the convention with the workshops given - I'd wait 3 weeks for the book swap :)

We don't make it to S.A. but maybe once or twice a year.  Family usually comes to visit us instead of us going there (not sure why...:) ).  Because of the business stuff we need to take care of I don't know if I could wait til summer to make the trip but I had not thought about the fact that the actual campus may be closed.  Honestly, I hadn't looked into this in much detail and did not realize that it wouldn't be at FEAST.  Mom and I were going to start really planning, registering, etc. this weekend.  I really, really wanted to go to their used book store.  Hmmm.  The book swap sounds really much more useful to me.  Thanks so much for the heads up!  Something to think about...

What kind of workshops would you like to attend. You might write a letter with suggestions or offer to be a speaker if you have a certain area of expertise. I'm sure these workshops meet the needs of others. This might be an opportunity to fill in the gap.

I don't think this convention does any local speaker led workshops, honestly. I don't know why. I'd rather have Mrs. X from my town give a good workshop than listen to Mr/Mrs Big Speaker give one that isn't that great.

I want workshops on:

Homeschooling as a Single Parent {or Homeschooling for the mom/dad who's spouse is often away from home}

Juggling homeschooling & the rest of life

Free / Low-cost homeschooling ideas {this was a workshop done at the secular convention that was a 1 year thing a couple years back, and it was standing room ONLY for 2 sessions}

There is life without Co-op: How to homeschool without being part of a co-op, support group, etc.

How to deal with a "willful" child in homeschooling - aka how to stop arguing over schoolwork with a kid that is a born Sytherin & negotiator.

Local resources for homeschoolers & best kept secrets locally {like that the city parks & rec does music lessons twice a week for as little as $25 a SEMESTER, or Summer day camp 8 weeks for $25}

How to teach something you don't know yourself, and have your kid not realize you didn't know

Ideas. tips & Tricks for homeschooling with kids with ASD

What to do when the lightbulb moment never happens AKA my kid doesn't understand XYZ and I've tried everything

Q & A Session with veteran homeschool moms {but please please don't have it all unschoolers or video schoolers!}

Maybe a workshop on meal prep for the hsing family - aka how not to have TV dinners on school nights! Or a share your favorite quick & easy recipe roundtable thingie

I don't want stuff on parenting, budgeting, or religion. Or Politics. Last year there were several political candidates as vendors as our expo - I wasn't thrilled. 

I would love to but I can't figure out how to stretch 24 hours into 48.   :D

I have thought about it actually, and I might be in a place to be able to accomplish that in a few years ... just not right now. 

It isn't nearly as hard as you might think, especially if you just start slow: a one-day event, with four workshops and a lunch break. :-)

I don't think this convention does any local speaker led workshops, honestly. I don't know why. I'd rather have Mrs. X from my town give a good workshop than listen to Mr/Mrs Big Speaker give one that isn't that great.

I want workshops on:

Homeschooling as a Single Parent {or Homeschooling for the mom/dad who's spouse is often away from home}

Juggling homeschooling & the rest of life

Free / Low-cost homeschooling ideas {this was a workshop done at the secular convention that was a 1 year thing a couple years back, and it was standing room ONLY for 2 sessions}

There is life without Co-op: How to homeschool without being part of a co-op, support group, etc.

How to deal with a "willful" child in homeschooling - aka how to stop arguing over schoolwork with a kid that is a born Sytherin & negotiator.

Local resources for homeschoolers & best kept secrets locally {like that the city parks & rec does music lessons twice a week for as little as $25 a SEMESTER, or Summer day camp 8 weeks for $25}

How to teach something you don't know yourself, and have your kid not realize you didn't know

Ideas. tips & Tricks for homeschooling with kids with ASD

What to do when the lightbulb moment never happens AKA my kid doesn't understand XYZ and I've tried everything

Q & A Session with veteran homeschool moms {but please please don't have it all unschoolers or video schoolers!}

Maybe a workshop on meal prep for the hsing family - aka how not to have TV dinners on school nights! Or a share your favorite quick & easy recipe roundtable thingie

I don't want stuff on parenting, budgeting, or religion. Or Politics. Last year there were several political candidates as vendors as our expo - I wasn't thrilled. 

Those are the kinds of workshops I want to schedule at my convention.

People here tell me they want those kinds of workshops but none of them are willing to spend an hour talking to a group, even though they are perfectly capable of doing so; I know this because I have heard them talk on about those things in depth, or seen their posts on our e-groups. :huh:

It isn't nearly as hard as you might think, especially if you just start slow: a one-day event, with four workshops and a lunch break. :-)

I've considered organizing one, and talked with a few folks locally about it. Seems like there are 3 big issues - 1. finding a location that doesn't cost an arm & a leg and 2. Getting vendors to come. At the secular convention they had here a few years back, they didn't have a lot of vendors. Several were local moms who didn't know a lot about the product. The organizers had trouble getting larger vendors to come to an unknown convention - most just sent catalogs to put in the goodie bags. and 3. Fundraising. While you can make admission = to the costs of the convention, most places require funds up front which would be before most folks pay admission.

What would be your advice on those?

I really really shouldn't add another job on my plate, but I really want a local inclusive convention. I've been toying with the idea to set one up for the last 2 years.

I've considered organizing one, and talked with a few folks locally about it. Seems like there are 3 big issues - 1. finding a location that doesn't cost an arm & a leg and 2. Getting vendors to come. At the secular convention they had here a few years back, they didn't have a lot of vendors. Several were local moms who didn't know a lot about the product. The organizers had trouble getting larger vendors to come to an unknown convention - most just sent catalogs to put in the goodie bags. and 3. Fundraising. While you can make admission = to the costs of the convention, most places require funds up front which would be before most folks pay admission.

What would be your advice on those?

I really really shouldn't add another job on my plate, but I really want a local inclusive convention. I've been toying with the idea to set one up for the last 2 years.

I would not use the word "inclusive." Christian conventions are "inclusive." Anyone is welcome to come, which is what "inclusive" means. Just call it a homeschool convention, or workshop, and let people figure out for themselves whether it would be interesting to them or not.

You don't have to have an exhibit hall. Really. Do goodie bags (and charge a small fee) and call it a day.

I've never had to pay a deposit o_0 but then I've been able to hold my events at churches. What about something like a VFW hall? Not exciting, but it's some place to start, KWIM?

That sounds like CHEA's convention. I was bummed when I saw their schedule so I checked out GHC's schedule and it was surprisingly much better. Do you have any other convention options in your area?

Yeah, several years ago I'd been half-heartedly going to the convention sponsored by the Fresno chapter of CHEA and was absolutely disgusted. I walked out of so many seminars (and this is unusual for me because I am one of those "nice" people who don't want to hurt the feelings of the presenter by walking out) because I felt like they were useless to me. I could have done a better job presenting. They no longer hold a convention. Wonder why?

Last year I went to Valley Home Educators in Modesto and it was much better. They had a very wide variety of speakers, and Jim Weiss was one of them. I went to three of his talks. Yeah, you're still going to get the "grind your own wheat" people, and there were some infomercial seminars, but overall, I felt like there was a nice assortment of helpful seminars.

So, there are some good ones out there.

Yeah, several years ago I'd been half-heartedly going to the convention sponsored by the Fresno chapter of CHEA and was absolutely disgusted. I walked out of so many seminars (and this is unusual for me because I am one of those "nice" people who don't want to hurt the feelings of the presenter by walking out) because I felt like they were useless to me. I could have done a better job presenting. They no longer hold a convention. Wonder why?

Last year I went to Valley Home Educators in Modesto and it was much better. They had a very wide variety of speakers, and Jim Weiss was one of them. I went to three of his talks. Yeah, you're still going to get the "grind your own wheat" people, and there were some infomercial seminars, but overall, I felt like there was a nice assortment of helpful seminars.

So, there are some good ones out there.

CHEA doesn't have "chapters." :-) Was it this group?

. What I do wish is for christian conventions to really be inclusive. They aren't.

Do you mean non-religious? "Inclusive" isn't really very descriptive. :-)

But both of the secular state groups have conventions of some kind; surely one of those would have what you're looking for. :-)