Menu

End of the year slacking/burn-out

Surely I'm not the only one, right? We have finished or are very close to finishing all of our curriculum so I have been pretty relaxed about things lately. I still feel very tied to the public school calendar so it feels like we should still be working hard for another month and a half. But except for math, we could finish quite a bit sooner.

And I don't intend to fully stop. We will do things to keep things they've learned fresh. But is it so bad to just slow down a little this time of year?

Amen, sister!

Every day I think about just reading aloud from several wonderful pieces of literature, or better yet, listening to recordings! The weather here is heating up, so I'm tempted to go on hikes too right now but then I wouldn't be available to do it this summer when the extended family gets together for outdoorsy things up in the mountains.

Must....keep....going....for...5....more......weeks.....

Our dryer quit.... it rained so much the basement leaked... I had an early miscarriage.... Spring Break week.... We took off... after 10 days the repairman was able to repair the dryer.  I was still hurting but thankfully able to go down the stairs again.  It is so difficult getting back in the groove now...How thankful I am for Funnix Math and Reading on my Laptop for days I am down and busy!

Winter Gardening took a turn for the worse with all of the rain... just a few seeds drown though... and we got 6 huge bags of clothes cleaned to give away... I started on it weeks ago.

Thankfully I loaded up my van with books to sell at a small convention too and traded some for the next Math we needed.  

And now I am trying to get my hotel for Cincy!

I must finish the book we were reading and  start reading a good book of our choice aloud again...

And I had a rough night Tutoring a student with a bad attitude!.

My oldest, who normally only reads what is assigned, has picked up my apathy and keeps suggesting that he read. Of course, son, that is a brilliant idea!

We have 3-4 weeks before dh comes home from deployment, and then we are taking a 3-4 week break before he leaves again. So I know we can push through and finish up a lot of stuff, enjoy our break, and then just move to a light summer schedule (I'm thinking of just doing Math Minutes, history, and maybe Grammar Minutes). But we went from snow last week to enough direct sun to heat the house to 76 degrees, and my brain thinks it's time to put the books away. I NEED to push through, though. My youngest has 4 weeks of work left - we can do it!

Completely agree. We are also moving back to the States this summer and are feeling very ready to be done but must keep pressing on because this summer we will be unable to just keep sailing. I agree, it's tough. I prefer to go to view the trees and pack a picnic and read and catch tadpoles but I suppose we should finish up a few things. :)

We are. Not because of burn out, but because it's beautiful outside, and we've been taking advantage of that. We've worked hard all year, and in most things will be finished early. I don't intend to stop everything over the summer, we will continue math and writing, possibly spelling for dd1. We've been doing a LOT more reading aloud, and it's been wonderful. I still feel the "school schedule" pressure, but I'm trying to let it go and relax.

We decided this year to take a two-week break around Easter, and this year, it also seems to correspond with the pretty weather arriving (although it's raining today). It seems a little silly that we'll have about five weeks left of our year after this break, but that's the way it worked out, and the break is just what we all needed. As Ellie said, who wants to stay inside and do work when spring has finally arrived?

I'm so ready for school to be over. We are on a 4 day a week schedule and will be finished on June 6th. I have a countdown on my tablet. It's fun to see some things finishing up making our days a little lighter. Math and reading are year round subjects for us.

My main reason for wanting to be done is my messy house. I want time to clean and to get the kids out of the house.

I will be honest. I feel like we have been slacking all year. I work part time, so our school work is...choppy. I feel good about where we are, but instead of burn-out, I am impelled to finish the year strong. I also feel a  little panicky that the "end" (as it were) is around the corner, so that is motivating me. So we are not slacking now, not more than we normally do, au contraire :)

We also took a lot of trips this school year, to add to the built-in choppiness. California, Washington DC, skiing, NYC many times,  etc. Educational, yes, but not great for the routine. My DS does not know what it is like to sit at a table for hours at a time for 5 days in a row. I don't think it's happened yet.

I am very burnt out. Having Easter late this year has about killed me. Generally, we do a nine weeks on/one week off schedule, but this year, since we have more kids on our street, I've decided to go by the public school schedule because there's nothing worse than trying to keep kids in, even if it's just for the morning, while the rest of the neighborhood is outside. So, we've been going strong since Christmas, with only President's Day off. We still have to hit it hard, though. 6 more weeks of Spelling Lessons, still have math to get through, we'll be lucky to finish Latin by mid-June and we still have a bit more in our grammar book and still have plenty of history to do. So, we're not ready to slow down. I don't know why I feel we're behind. I schedule about 2 weeks more school than the public schools, but we're still struggling to get our curriculum done!

I'm not really even sure what I'm trying to accomplish at this point. Like, if I make it six more weeks without going stark, raving mad, are my kids going to know any more than they do now? I guess we should finish SOTW. Math is a battlefield. Even "fun" stuff is horrifying. My oldest has such a bad attitude with math this morning that my husband tried to step in to help. After five minutes dealing with DS8, he fled the house.  Unfortunately, DS4 is picking up DS8's bad attitude. I'd like to stop school today, but that seems like giving in to terrorists.

Wow, I'm a bit of Suzy Sunshine, eh? Apologies, but I'm feeling pretty defeated this morning.

We will continue through the second week of June for one reason....because my kids go stark raving crazy without a routine! They're young, and academics isn't that heavy, but the minute I say "summer vacation" they all turn into crazy animals who run around my house with nothing to do...all.day.long. So even if it's just reading, we're keeping our routine.

We are feeling it too. I was sick for a few weeks so we didn't get as much done as I was hoping(mostly with my girls). This week we have quite a few distractions with Holy Week. I'm excited that next week is finally our Spring Break. Hopefully after the break we can get into gear and finish strong for the school year. It has been so nice out though and the kids just want to play. :)

We are feeling it too! We are counting down the math lessons and working hard during the mornings and doing fun things most afternoons. Nice weather, Easter, field trips, spring cleaning, weekend trips, gardening, recitals....who can stay in and do spelling?!

I am ready for summer and the pool! Bring on the hot weather!

I'm actually feeling motivated to finish. I only wish I could get the boys on board, because they are really dragging here at the end. The good thing is that we are only 17 lessons away from finishing math, and 3 lessons from finishing Spelling. We are ahead in Grammar and Latin, and we've picked up our writing a bit in anticipation of doing more next year with it. 

We are not done with SOTW yet, but that's OK. We'll get done. 

I'm motivated because I'm giving myself a solid month off when we are done for planning, working out schedules and catching up on all the Circe threads I haven't tortured myself with yet. :D

DD has two online classes through May, and we have a chapter and a half of AOPS to finish up. She has a ton of performances and extra rehearsals at this time of year, so I always try to finish most stuff by early April. We do a lot of park days and fun activities and field trips in the Spring.

I have made charts for the major curriculum areas, and put them up on the fridge to keep track of how much we have to finish with dd8 to be DONE. I made them to motivate dd but she doesn't care. I'm the one rushing to the kitchen to cross off a lesson as soon as we finish something, counting what's left, and recalculating the remaining days.

Grammar will be finished first, then math, but WWE2 could take us to the end of June if we're lucky because dd insisted on finishing WWE1 back in September. She could easily double up days and be finished. But no. She makes me follow the same routine everyday. No doubling up or skipping allowed. A little strange for someone who really doesn't like to sit down and work.  :glare:

We've been slackers the last two weeks, but we've been productive slackers?

We started reading The Secret Garden first thing in the morning. My boys are LOVING it. After each reading, my 4th grader writes a narration and my first grader tells me one thing he remembers from the story - I write that down and he copies it. He then illustrates his "narration". The illustrations often have some story embellishment involved (such as poison dart arrows :lol:), but his sentence is good. We practice letter formation and talk about a little grammar. My youngest (5 next month) usually gives me a sentence to write down and let him copy also, but I don't require it of him. I think one day he wasn't in the mood, but the other days he's done it.

Literature and writing have been VERY productive the last 2 weeks.

The slacker part comes in when, after literature, we watch a Star Trek movie and call it cultural literacy. :D Last week, we also did math in the afternoon... haven't gotten to it this week yet, but I plan to do math today. My kids are very ahead in math, so I'm ok with blowing it off a couple days. Neither of them were planning to finish a level by the end of the school year.

Haven't done reading/phonics with my first grader during this time, but sometimes they need a break to let things percolate. He's been picking up easy readers and basic picture books on his own and reading, so I'm thrilled!

History and science can be picked up soon. Though I do need to finish a history library book that is due soon.

Kids have had a lot of outside play the last couple weeks. That's always productive!

So yes, we've been slackers, but productive at the same time. I wouldn't want to do this year round, as I think my 4th grader needs more than a couple hours of work, but it's good to relax a bit during the nice weather, and these two weeks have given me some ways to change our homeschool in general (focusing more on literature, a la the Circe threads). My 4th grader's writing has amazed me this week. He wrote a page and a half narration one day! (Wide ruled, double spaced) That was huge for him, and he did it with relative ease. So I'm really happy with our slacker weeks, plus now the kids have transporters and Klingons in their pretend play. :D

I don't want to admit to slacking, but I have "narrowed" our focus. :lol:

I cut out everything that I didn't feel needed to be finished before the end of the year, or isn't an essential daily practice. So, we do daily math and spelling (spelling is a real weakness here). We are finishing up our W&R Fable book. We have almost finished our history reading (next week) and we're really focusing on science (which has been hit and miss all year).

Done for the year:

MCT

Handwriting

History (almost)

Daytime read aloud/lit (but not really, as we still read together at bedtime and she's working through the Mensa reading award list on her own time)

In a way, it's been really nice to just relax and work on a couple of things during the day, really focus on them without being rushed. Sometimes I think, maybe we should do this all the time, but then I think about all the things I want her to learn, so...!!!

So has anyone else "narrowed their focus"?   :)  (It's not slacking if its intentional, right?)