Menu

guinea pig questions

ProudGrandma

we own 3 piggies:  in their cage we have 3 ceramic bowls for their pellets and 2 hay racks for their hay.  It always seems like within minutes, the bowls have tipped and the timothy hay is all over their cage.  And then they don't eat any of it...it goes to waste. 

Is this typical of guinea pigs...or are ours just "pigs".  :).

is there anything we can do as not to waste so much?  thanks.

Our pigs do not tip their food bowls. They did tear the hay out of their hay dispenser and throw it all over so I stopped putting it in the hay rack. I just put a pile on the floor in the corner of the cage.  I did find that if I put down smaller handfuls they eat more and "waste" less. So we put down small handfuls several times a day.

We used to have three guinea pigs until we moved.  They made a mess of their food bowls.  Putting them a little higher with something under them, and a rock to keep the bowl from tipping helped.  I also put a the timothy hay in by the handfulls in a corner.  Then when they made a mess of it, I could add in a little more fresh.  But I had to clean their cage every other day.

Our feeder was mounted to the side, so we never had any spilling. It's just a plastic triangular bowl that clips in a corner. We put our hay in a wire suet container from the bird section. Then we twist tied it to the cage wall. It was a rectangular wire box which only held a handful of hay, so there was less mess to make.

thank you those are great ideas.  With 3 piggies, I worry some about them running out of food...but as it is now, it's a BIG wasteful mess.  Will the piggies eat the hay from the ground?  I mean, after they have walked on it, peed and pooped on it?  They are animals, so I would think yes, but I guess I don't know...because as of now, it doesn't seem like it to me.