Menu

Tax Question..this year do you have to prove your children are your dependents?

Kevin'sMom

I am having to file an extension on my taxes and the tax person said that I have to have a note from somewhere 9school, doctor etc.) in order to claim our son on our taxes! Did everyone have to do this? Since I homeschool, this may be difficult. I am kind of not believing this.

I don't know the particulars of your tax situation, but no, you don't have to provide proof that your dependents are actually your dependents.  I do my own taxes every year, and iirc all you have to do is put down the kid's name, birthdate, and ssn.  I imagine it could be different if you're getting certain things like adoption credits, etc.

This is the end and the worst part of the income tax season in the USA. Probably you should find a different person to work on your taxes. If that person cannot explain to you why you need to do that, they will not be able to explain other things correctly to you.

I suggest that you find an I.R.S. Enrolled Agent who does personal income tax returns.

If you are divorced or separated, only one parent can claim the children on their income tax return.

If your children were born in the USA, they should have received Social Security Numbers after they were born.  When we applied for DD's U.S. Birth Certificate (the actual name of the certificate is different), and her U.S. Passport, in Colombia, applying for her Social Security Number was part of the process that day.  

GL

I am kind of not believing this.

Good instinct.  That's just really bizarre and I agree with the above, find someone new.  Just go to the IRS site, print out the form, and fill out your own extension. Here's the link to the IRS form - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f4868.pdf and here's a screen shot of the entire form that you fill out (easy-peasy; you don't need to hire help for this part). Get the extension taken care of easily and then find someone new for your taxes. Or do them yourself with a program like TaxAct.  I've done my/our own taxes for all but 2-3 years of my adult life.  TaxAct makes it easy.  And we have a rental and self-employment income; not super simple. 

-----------------------------------------------

taxform_zpsbb1c6dc6.jpg

Not unless you get selected for an audit. My first job out of college was office manager for a tax place (like H&R Block but it was a chain local to where DH was stationed at the time). People who claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit were at higher risk of a random audit than those who didn't (similar to how those who are self-employed are at higher audit risk). If you were to get audited, the IRS might want documentation to prove that you supported the claimed dependent during the year.