Menu

Desperate Plea: tell me what to make for dinner

AlmiraGulch

Yes, another of these threads.

I need someone to tell me what to make for dinner.  Keep in mind I have no food because my refrigerator broke the other day and I haven't had time to restock much since it was repaired.

I'll have to go to the store for whatever you tell me, so I'm open to anything.

My only requirements:

1. Easy

2. Relatively quick

3. Something warm (I'm not up for a salad or anything else cold)

4. Not soup

Please, rescue me.  For some reason I cannot think of a single appealing thing.

We love baked parmesan chicken. You smear a wee bit of mayo on each tender or breast and then sprinkle garlic and parmesan cheese on it. Bake it. The mayo dissolves and keeps the chicken moist and the cheese makes a lovely crust.

We eat it with baked sweet potatoes and sauteed garlic green beans.

If cooking tenders it only takes about 35 minutes to cook. By the time I finish the potatoes and beans, they are finished

ARtichoke CHicken.  Really- even my pickest eaters love this. And even my youngest child can cook it.

get the boneless/skinless breast tenders- they cook faster, or regular bonesless breasts or thighs.

get a jar of marinated artichoke hearts (Aldi;s Artichoke salad is PERFECT!) and a small jar of green olives and a jar of roasted red peppers.

Cook chicken, add drained artichokes/olives/peppers.  (If peppers come in oil use that for cooking the chicken- DELICIOUS!) Heat through.

Serve with rice or mashed potatoes and something green- any veggie or salad. Or not- you got veggies in the chicken! And lemonade.

(editing to add: if you use Aldi artichoke salad you don't need the olives & peppers- they're already in there!)

we are having my lazy go to tonight. The kids love it, it's cheap and I almost always have what I need on hand. LOL

taco meat and rice :)

I brown the meat, add taco seasoning..viola! pot of rice....

if I feel like 'going all out' I'll make black beans, too. When I have it I like to add sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, salsa and corn chips. It's almost like a taco salad.

This one cracked me up. 

I don't even know what nettles and ground elder are!   :lol:

I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out here, though. 

Worth a try......  Otherwise, I'd just buy a jar of good quality pasta sauce and make pasta.....

Ground elder is a veg introduced into the UK by the Romans.  It went wild and now is the bane of many gardeners' lives.  It infests our acre of woodland and this is my first year harvesting it.  It's a bit fiddly (you only take the young shoots) but it's really delicious.

Nettles?  They sting.  They are what British children run into when American children run into poison ivy or poison oak.  You can't spread it around your body though - it injects you, so the sting stays where it occurs.  It apparently occurs in N. America too.  I have a pot of nettle soup on the stove (I know you don't want soup), but now you know it occurs on your continent, I think you are duty bound to make my pasta recipe, even if you can't find the ground elder.

L

This one cracked me up. 

I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out here, though. 

Just trying to raise a smile ......  Otherwise, I'd just buy a jar of good quality pasta sauce and make pasta.....

Ground elder is a veg introduced into the UK by the Romans.  It went wild and now is the bane of many gardeners' lives.  It infests our acre of woodland and this is my first year harvesting it.  It's a bit fiddly (you only take the young shoots) but it's really delicious.

Nettles?  They sting.  They are what British children run into when American children run into poison ivy or poison oak.  You can't spread it around your body though - it injects you, so the sting stays where it occurs.  It apparently occurs in N. America too.  I have a pot of nettle soup on the stove (I know you don't want soup), but now you know it occurs on your continent, I think you are duty bound to make my pasta recipe, even if you can't find the ground elder.

L

I like to marinate boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a mixture of olive oil, soy sauce, garlic, and freshly grated ginger (half an hour is fine; I don't bother measuring anything). Then toss it in a baking dish  and cook for half an hour. Serve with rice. If I'm feeling fancy and have it on hand, I'll sprinkle some coriander and/or scallions on top.

If I'm feeling really lazy and desperate, I'll pick up a rotisserie chicken at the grocery store and serve with sauteed spinach and corn on the cob (or any other veggie combo).

Sometimes, I'll squiggle up ground beef with some garlic and onion. Add a can of diced tomatoes and curry paste and simmer for a bit. I serve that over rice or mashed cauliflower. It's really good.

DH loves when I buy Italian sausage patties and serve on hamburger rolls with corn on the cob and broccoli. I usually cook the patties in a pan with red/green bell peppers and onions.

Just trying to raise a smile ......  Otherwise, I'd just buy a jar of good quality pasta sauce and make pasta.....

L

Ok, so now that I got over my initial shock I realize that I have, in fact, heard of nettles.  I just never heard of anyone eating them.  

They certainly don't grow wild near me (I'm in suburbia) but they are on my parents' property.  Next time I get to Missouri, I'll pick some and cook them up in your honor.

Maybe.  

We like to do tacos when we need something easy. Make or buy corn tortillas and come up with a few different fillings and let everyone do what they want. If you can find queso fresco, get that too, to crumble on top.

Here are some things we put on tacos. I generally make four different fillings and about 2 dozen tortillas for our family of 5.

Guacamole

Eggs

Stir-fried squash flowers with tomatoes

Well-fried beans

Queso fundido

Shredded meat

Fried potatoes and eggs

Arrachera

Vinegary potatoes

Chorizo

Pibil

Ricotta with squash flowers

Grilled peppers

Ok, so now that I got over my initial shock I realize that I have, in fact, heard of nettles. I just never heard of anyone eating them.

They certainly don't grow wild near me (I'm in suburbia) but they are on my parents' property. Next time I get to Missouri, I'll pick some and cook them up in your honor.

Maybe.

We have many nettles here, supposedly eating them helps with allergies.

I think we are having black bean something or other.

They certainly don't grow wild near me (I'm in suburbia) but they are on my parents' property.  Next time I get to Missouri, I'll pick some and cook them up in your honor.

Only if you go early in the year - it has to be fresh young nettle tops.  My soup is delicious, and is the greenest food I have ever seen.

L

For tonight, grab a couple rotisserie chickens and a vegetable to nuke with some whole grain Uncle Ben's microwave pouches. (Unless a side salad will be okay?) Then you can shop for the rest of the week, have dinner ready in 5 minutes, and have leftovers for lunch or another dinner.

I love you guys!

We have a winner. Breakfast for dinner it is. Pancakes, eggs, sausage links, fresh fruit salad (bought pre-made from the store).

Tomorrow is the parm chicken, Wednesday is taco night, and Thursday is BBQ chicken that I'll actually do in the grill if it isn't storming.

Other ideas saved for other nights. Thanks for doing my meal plan for most of the week!

Do you have nettles and ground elder growing wild nearby?  We had this for supper and it was delicious.

This one cracked me up. 

Lol.

I think we need to take a trans-Atlantic field trip so we can have Laura teach us about this stuff. (I really would love to know these things too, but I also live in surburbia. I do know a little about nettles but not about ground elder!)

Almira Gulch, I think you should have also stopped by Pike Nursery & bought a few exotic leaves while out on your grocery run. ;-)

I love you guys!

We have a winner. Breakfast for dinner it is. Pancakes, eggs, sausage links, fresh fruit salad (bought pre-made from the store).

Tomorrow is the parm chicken, Wednesday is taco night, and Thursday is BBQ chicken that I'll actually do in the grill if it isn't storming.

Other ideas saved for other nights. Thanks for doing my meal plan for most of the week!

Sounds good!  Can we come over?

L

We love nettle season up here in the Northwest! First fresh veg of the season. I actually have a tub of pre-cooked leaves in my fridge waiting for inspiration -- thanks for providing it!! Ooh, plus I have a huge flourishing lovage plant and no idea how to use it...this will be ideal. :)

(I also like to make sausage and nettle pie...or just cut up the nettle leaves in marinara...or make nettle and hazelnut pesto...)

Our go-to easy meal is a frittata or crustless quiche or egg bake, depending on the ingredients I have on hand. It's a good way to use up the bits of leftovers, too. My husband HATES eggs so I can't make this for dinner, even though it would save me once a week or so.

If I lived in the US, I would be picking up a Stouffer's Lasagna in your situation.  I love their lasagna!!! 

burgers (frozen pre-made patties) and fixings

taco night

sweet and sour chicken

pizza (store bought, pre-rolled crust)

Mac and cheese, preferrably the neon orange kind

pasta with meat sauce and garlic bread

black bean tostadas

Shrimp scampi

Some kind of egg strada

breakfast burritos

Oh my.  Pregnancy cravings...

Reservations!!!

Haha!  That's normally my go-to, but we had to be home because someone was coming to pick up our dining room set we recently sold to them, so I actually had to cook.  Blah.

Our go-to easy meal is a frittata or crustless quiche or egg bake, depending on the ingredients I have on hand. It's a good way to use up the bits of leftovers, too. My husband HATES eggs so I can't make this for dinner, even though it would save me once a week or so.

I thought about that, but I'm not a big egg fan.  I did make them with our dinner last night, but just in a pan, over medium.  On a positive note, it was the first time DD11 had ever had eggs cooked that way and she loved them!  She ate two and then wanted me to make her another.  Uhhh.....no.  

If I lived in the US, I would be picking up a Stouffer's Lasagna in your situation.  I love their lasagna!!! 

burgers (frozen pre-made patties) and fixings

taco night

sweet and sour chicken   I've never made this before.  I should find a recipe. 

pizza (store bought, pre-rolled crust)  We eat pizza more than any other family on earth, I think  I'm sick of it.

Mac and cheese, preferrably the neon orange kind   Ewwww!  haha

pasta with meat sauce and garlic bread

black bean tostadas.

Shrimp scampi

Some kind of egg strada

breakfast burritos

Oh my.  Pregnancy cravings...

Shrimp scampi!   I should have made that.  So easy, so good. 

Times like this are when I reach for this book, hand it to the kids and say pick something :)

http://www.amazon.com/30-Minute-Recipe-Cooks-Illustrated-Magazine/dp/0936184981/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397568395&sr=8-1&keywords=best+30+minute+recipe

It is a fantastic, family friendly, easy to make, easy to find ingredients cookbook!

We've made:

Vegetarian Chilli

Chicken curry with potatoes

broccoli with orange sesame sauce

thai coconut soup

fritatta

unstuffed chicken breasts with ham and gruyere\

baja fish tacos

beef teriyaki

italian sausage and peppers

skillet lasagna a favorite!

pasta with roasted red pepper and cream sauce

pad thai

taco salad

chicken tagine

cod veracruz...

need I go on?

I just LOVE this for family meals.

Vegan options can be found here...

http://www.amazon.com/Isa-Does-It-Amazingly-Delicious/dp/0316221902/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397568777&sr=8-1&keywords=issa+does+it

THis book is much! easier on a homeschooling mom than her previous veganomicon seemed to be.  Easier to find ingredients and things take much less time.

I've made this so far:

http://www.theppk.com/2010/12/red-lentil-thai-chili/

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/feb/11/coconut-chana-saag-vegan-recipe

I know, no soup but maybe today you're up for it...it is sooo yum!

http://www.theppk.com/2011/01/red-curry-soup-with-rice-purple-kale/

These are my go-to desperation dinners:

Breakfast burritos - use jimmy dean breakfast scrambles (has potatoes, sausage,onion, and peppers) and add egg, cheese, salsa, and tortillas.

Pasta, pound of ground italian sausage browned, jar of sauce, bag of salad

Kielbasa, peirogis, can of sour kraut or beets

Rachel rays 30 minute italian wedding soup:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/rachael-ray/mini-meatball-soup-recipe.html#!

Rotisserie chicken, rolls, bag-o-salad

Mixed grill -marinated meat and veggies on the grill served with seasoned rice

Grilled ham and cheese on good bread

I get busier and run out of energy at night, so sometimes I put things together in the morning to bake later. Lasagna is actually easy if you don't precook the noodles, and but jarred sauce and preshredded cheeses.

It gave me some ideas too as I plan for the next week or so. I never pass up a meal plan/dinner ideas thread. :)

Nettles?  They sting.  They are what British children run into when American children run into poison ivy or poison oak.  You can't spread it around your body though - it injects you, so the sting stays where it occurs.  It apparently occurs in N. America too. 

The name ground elder didn't mean anything to me, but as soon as I followed the link and saw stinging nettle I knew what it was. And it grows in suburbia here.

Pancakes. The answer is always pancakes in this situation. Waffles when I'm feeling adventurous.

Yes, with any of the following:

fruit and whipped cream

sausage (micro)

bacon(micro)

potatoes

juice

all of the above

Even easier

rotisserie chicken

prepared mashed potatoes

veg or salad of choice

heat and serve baguette

Reservations!!!

If reservations are too much trouble: Chipotle! If standing in line is too much trouble: Chipotle App! I may have a bit of a problem.

One epiphany I had last week . . . If you have a rice cooker, you can toss in everything that you like on your burrito: rice, veggies, meat, salsa, seasoning . . . and let everything heat while the rice cooks. Towards the end, warm your tortilla shells in the steamer basket and serve it all with cheese, sour cream, and more salsa.

If reservations are too much trouble: Chipotle! If standing in line is too much trouble: Chipotle App! I may have a bit of a problem.

One epiphany I had last week . . . If you have a rice cooker, you can toss in everything that you like on your burrito: rice, veggies, meat, salsa, seasoning . . . and let everything heat while the rice cooks. Towards the end, warm your tortilla shells in the steamer basket and serve it all with cheese, sour cream, and more salsa.

Now I want Chipotle.  Conveniently, there is a brand new one very close to my house.......