Menu

My skincare routine needs a change.

Mandylubug

I am 31 and my skincare needs have changed. It really has changed all over and I have accepted the fact that I need to moisturize with a body lotion daily.

My facial care has changed as well and I can't seem to get a grip of it. I do use an exfoliating scrub about twice a week for sensitive skin. I also spot treat with a gel. I was with normal dove soap because other soaps seem too drying and my skin is sensitive. My issues are clogged pores. Especially up my cheek bones and temple area. A little on my chin and part of my forehead. I do use a sensitive formula moisturizer for combination skin. My face will be itchy dry without it. They rarely turn into whiteheads but occasionally do, especially during my hormonal fluctuations monthly. My face will then clear up and other than these clogged pores that I can see on closer observation, my skin is clear.

Any miraculous product to try? Am I going about my skincare wrong, now? The gel doesn't seem to fight the clogged pores. Just shrinks any bumps that become inflamed.

I am 31 and my skincare needs have changed. It really has changed all over and I have accepted the fact that I need to moisturize with a body lotion daily.

My facial care has changed as well and I can't seem to get a grip of it. I do use an exfoliating scrub about twice a week for sensitive skin. I also spot treat with a gel. I was with normal dove soap because other soaps seem too drying and my skin is sensitive. My issues are clogged pores. Especially up my cheek bones and temple area. A little on my chin and part of my forehead. I do use a sensitive formula moisturizer for combination skin. My face will be itchy dry without it. They rarely turn into whiteheads but occasionally do, especially during my hormonal fluctuations monthly. My face will then clear up and other than these clogged pores that I can see on closer observation, my skin is clear.

Any miraculous product to try? Am I going about my skincare wrong, now? The gel doesn't seem to fight the clogged pores. Just shrinks any bumps that become inflamed.

Daily skin care should include cleansing, toning, moisturizing. A cleanser made specifically for faces is better than a cleanser made for bodies. :-) My skins does weird stuff if I only cleanse and moisturize. I need the toning part (toner/freshener/whatever that you apply with a cotton ball; some products are sprayed on), and I apply the moisturizer while my face is still damp from the toner.

Have you considered going "chemical free" in your skin care, Mandy? 

As I have gotten older, my skin has become far less forgiving.  These days, I use only "first principles" in my grooming.  Now I wash my face with either home made washing oil or baking soda, depending on whether I have been wearing makeup.  I use diluted vinegar as a skin "tonic" (and to re-balance my skin's PH after I use baking soda.)  I make my own skin lotion and combine it with fresh cut aloe as I apply it. 

My skin has finally stopped complaining...unless I do something silly, like try out a divine smelling face lotion a friend offers me.  :p

My daughter just discovered the coconut oil pull. You gargle with coconut oil for 20 minutes a day and it pulls out all toxins and bacteria. Or something like that. :-) She also uses tea tree oil as a topical. Because of various health conditions, she no longer uses any prescription meds.

She says these are the two best alternatives she has found. Her skin really looks nice.

I would add a well formulated BHA toner.  A well formulated one will make your skin healthier as well as minimize pores, clear out pores and reduce breakouts.   It's important for the product to be in the correct PH range so exfoliation can occur so you really should do some research before buying something.   Beautypedia.com has a ton of great information on skin care/conditions as well as reviews of most products on the market from drugstore to expensive brands.  

I would add a well formulated BHA toner.  A well formulated one will make your skin healthier as well as minimize pores, clear out pores and reduce breakouts.   It's important for the product to be in the correct PH range so exfoliation can occur so you really should do some research before buying something.   Beautypedia.com has a ton of great information on skin care/conditions as well as reviews of most products on the market from drugstore to expensive brands.  

:iagree: I have to find less expensive skin care to fit our budget and I've been searching reviews from beautypedia to put together a list of moisturizers and toners.  My cleanser is already inexpensive. 

I've always had problem skin, and I have tried so many different products, ranging from the "all natural" stuff at health food stores, to the most expensive stuff at department stores, to homemade concoctions and oils, and even prescriptions. And in my opinion, the best skin care products available are Paula's Choice. All of her products are fragrance-free, they're really well formulated, they work beautifully, and though I love them enough to pay more for them, luckily they are quite affordable.

I would recommend you ditch the scrub and order a BHA product from Paula. You can get a light gel if your skin is oily, or a lotion if you want a moisturizer and exfoliant in one.

If you don't already do so, start wearing sunscreen every day. I wear foundation every day, with sunscreen in it (it's a Paula's Choice product too) to try to make my problem skin look a little less problematic. ;) But if you don't wear makeup, just chose whichever of her many sunscreens would work best for your skin type. The Hydralight is really nice - my daughter uses that one. Then a cleanser and the BHA are really all you need. I'm not a big fan of toners, because I never felt like they did anything for me, so I've never tried Paula's and can't speak to their effectiveness. So that's my whole skin-care routine:

Sunscreen/foundation in the morning.

Cleanser, BHA lotion at night.

Easy peasy. Simpler, cheaper, and yet vastly more effective than all of the other regimens I have tried.

Thanks for sharing all this information.  I am also having acne breakouts and I am well past the teen years.  I will use something and it will seem to work but then it doesn't anymore.  Also, I know some of it has to be hormonal because certain times of the month I break out and no matter what I was doing that worked, it no longer helps.  In fact, I am dreading summer because of how bad it can be.  I don't know if having blood work done, like a female hormone panel, would be helpful or not. 

My daughter was having a lot of problems with her skin. One day I looked at the products' lists of ingredients. In just a handful of them, there were dozens of chemicals, so I suggested she just use water, just water, for a few weeks to give her skin time to heal from all of it. When she did that, her skin cleared up and has stayed that way. The fact is that all those chemicals burn the skin, which has an effect on all the underlying structure, too. The temptation then is to try more stuff...and it becomes an endless cycle of trying to repair the damage.

... I don't know if having blood work done, like a female hormone panel, would be helpful or not.

When I was last at my gyn, she told me that she could draw my blood and test it today, tomorrow, ten days in a row and every day's results would differ - that's the joy of perimenopause! You may be much younger than I, but if you are getting close to menopause, blood work might not tell you anything.

Can y'all tell me if Paula's Choice products are available in brick and mortar stores or if they have to be ordered online?

When I was last at my gyn, she told me that she could draw my blood and test it today, tomorrow, ten days in a row and every day's results would differ - that's the joy of perimenopause! You may be much younger than I, but if you are getting close to menopause, blood work might not tell you anything.

Can y'all tell me if Paula's Choice products are available in brick and mortar stores or if they have to be ordered online?

I believe it is only online, but you should check out the website. Tons of good info on all brands and skincare.

I checked out beautypedia.com and was so shocked by the reviews of the products I am using. I have found some products that were rated BEST but not Paula's because that just isn't in my budget and I will give them a go.

I was also so happy to see some of the ELF brand cosmetics to be in the BEST category as well! Especially the studio foundation, blush and bronzer. Made my day. I had wondered if it was my makeup or my skincare routine that was causing my clogged pores. I think more so now, it is my skincare routine.

Paula's Choice products are only online.  I have found some of them on Amazon but they are usually priced a dollar or two over what her website would charge.  They have a fantastic 60 day return policy!  I've used most of their products appropriate to my skin and only had to return 1.

If anyone is interested in Paula's Choice products sign up to get her emails.  They often run 20% off sales of either specific types of products (say BHA/AHA products) and occasionally they do 20% off everything and they sometimes combine free shipping with their other promos.

I just started using a mix of olive oil and castor oil. I think its helping? But i have mch more acne now than as a teen. :/

I use olive or grapeseed oil and castor oil, too! Super cheap and effective! When I first started using it, I got huger, scarier zits than I'd ever had. I was doing a 20-minute massage/cleansing time, holding a hot cloth to my face as long as I could stand it, patting to clean it all off, then slathering on oil afterwards because my face felt so tight. Now I do a 20, 30-second rub right before I hop in the shower, then use a clean cloth and the hot water in the shower to pat it off gently. After my shower, I dip a finger in the grape seed or oil bottle and use that little bit of oil to remoisturize. Note: I shower in the evening, so in the morning all I do is a clean cloth in warm water to wipe my face gently before putting on drugstore moisturizer and makeup. If I do the oil cleansing in the morning, the oil sticks in my eyelashes and such and boom, raccoon eyes by noon! But yeah, I had to scale my routine waaaaaaaay down to make it work for me. Once in a while, I'll do either a sugar scrub with the oils or a longer massage, but it's only when I feel like it, which is practically never. My skin looks 100 times better now!

I order Paula's stuff online. Website has helpful tips and it ships fast.

Thanks for sharing all this information.  I am also having acne breakouts and I am well past the teen years.  I will use something and it will seem to work but then it doesn't anymore.  Also, I know some of it has to be hormonal because certain times of the month I break out and no matter what I was doing that worked, it no longer helps.  In fact, I am dreading summer because of how bad it can be.  I don't know if having blood work done, like a female hormone panel, would be helpful or not. 

Jojoba oil is supposed to be good and closest to our own sebum in the skin. It is not supposed to clog anything but moisturize.

Have you tried some benzoyl peroxide products? The BHA toner from Paula's Choice clears pores nicely for me.

I have changed some things with products that ranked better according to beautypedia than what I have been using. Items I've had on hand but not using. So far my face is starting to clear up after two days. Hopefully monday I can order some "best" products. I am hopeful.