Menu

Need short-term writing curriculum suggestions

My soon-to-be 9th grade son will begin an outside writing class this August.  We just completed WWS2, and we have about 3 1/2 months of our current school year left.  I need a writing program that we can use in the interim.  

The school that he is taking some classes at uses IEW, and the only writing program my son has ever used is the WWE and WWS series.  I know SWB has WWS 3 out, or being beta-tested, and as much as I really love that curriculum, I don't want to get into that particular curriculum at this point.

All suggestions are appreciated!  Thanks :)  

Bumping.

Are you familiar with the IEW program yourself?  Since you mentioned that your son's school uses it, I just wondered.  One of the IEW theme books that fits your DS's interests might be a good fill-in for the rest of this year, but I wouldn't recommend an IEW theme book unless you were already experienced with the IEW method (through TWSS or one of the SWIs). 

Or perhaps "writing across the curriculum" to keep in practice with the things he's already learned through WWS2?

Jump In is an independent, self-directed writing program that might be good filler as well, but might be too easy for a kid who has completed WWS2 already.

Time4Writing.com also has some short-term online classes.

Bumping.

Are you familiar with the IEW program yourself?  Since you mentioned that your son's school uses it, I just wondered.  One of the IEW theme books that fits your DS's interests might be a good fill-in for the rest of this year, but I wouldn't recommend an IEW theme book unless you were already experienced with the IEW method (through TWSS or one of the SWIs). 

Or perhaps "writing across the curriculum" to keep in practice with the things he's already learned through WWS2?

Jump In is an independent, self-directed writing program that might be good filler as well, but might be too easy for a kid who has completed WWS2 already.

Time4Writing.com also has some short-term online classes.

I have started to familiarize myself with IEW, but have not had any prior experience with that curriculum.  My son does writing for history every day, and Lightning Literature from time-to-time.  He incorporates what he's learned from WWS 1 & 2, but I'd like to supplement with *something* that can continue to strengthen his writing skills.

Jump In looks like a great option for him.  I think he would be very happy to do something a little lighter for a few months!  Thanks for the suggestion - :)

Since he has completed what is necessary for his grade, you might consider doing something more passion or interest-driven.  For instance, I have a food writing text to use with my dd alongside WWS3 this coming year.  I haven't done high school boy yet, but I imagine he might enjoy imitating some genre of history writing or science writing that interests him.  He might enjoy some time OFF formal writing and instead do essay reading and write responses.  My dd is enjoying volumes like these  The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2013  We also enjoyed this around that age.  50 Debate Prompts for Kids: Reproducible Debate Sheets Complete With Background and Pro/Con Points That Get Kids...  You could do the arguments orally.

I was just wondering where I could drop a spare $476! :lol: My kids would love this book. Thanks for mentioning it. Scholastic Teacher Express has it as an book for $11. http://teacherexpress.scholastic.com/50-debate-prompts-for-kids

Since he has completed what is necessary for his grade, you might consider doing something more passion or interest-driven.  For instance, I have a food writing text to use with my dd alongside WWS3 this coming year.  I haven't done high school boy yet, but I imagine he might enjoy imitating some genre of history writing or science writing that interests him.  He might enjoy some time OFF formal writing and instead do essay reading and write responses.  My dd is enjoying volumes like these  The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2013  We also enjoyed this around that age.  50 Debate Prompts for Kids: Reproducible Debate Sheets Complete With Background and Pro/Con Points That Get Kids...  You could do the arguments orally.

I checked out the first one, and I don't think he'd be super excited about that one, but I really love the 50 Debate Prompts for Kids!   I want him to practice writing, but enjoy it a little more.  Great suggestion - thanks!

**I see it's on sale for only $476!!  What a steal! ;)

I would probably look at a Killgallon resource.

I noticed SWB had recommended use of Killgallon, but I'd never looked at it until today.  I love the resources, and definitely think they would be a benefit to my son's writing.   I love all of these recommendations so far!  I'm wondering how I can use them all! :)

• 3 weeks later...

You could do Bravewriter's Help for High School - its got 2 separate units in it, each one fairly short, depending on how  you use them.  The first section has some really fun exercises for finding your voice, and the second is more a short researched essay