Menu

How are the freshman doing, as the school year heads towards its end?

Nan in Mass

Mine has continued to expand her horizons this year.  She has loved living in the honors dorm and has a lot of friends.  She is fulfilling her desire to travel and see the world by going to Bolivia (service project for Engineers without Borders) and then studying abroad in Wales in the fall.  Very exciting time for her and I am very proud of her!

• Like 16

Dd is in a dual program between two colleges, and she doesn't feel like she if firmly planted in either one.  On the other hand, she knows that her soul would wither if she gave up one or the other.  Her remedy?  Get rid of Facebook so she doesn't have to confront the general self-promotion that goes on there (be it achievement, lofty interests, or social nirvana.....)

She's ready for a break.   :001_cool:

Edited:  because I don't know the difference between whither and wither LOL!

• Like 11

She's made a lot of like-minded friends since earning a role in "The Importance of Being Earnest" :)

She and a fellow English major/French minor will room together next year and are excited about being in a new(er) cluster of dorms with the best dining hall on campus. Each double room shares a bathroom with an adjoining double room. The girls are friends with the adjoining girls.

She is maintaining her 4.0 :D

Right now she is writing a cover letter for her application to work at the university's writing center (she and her future roommate were both invited to apply--I hope they both are accepted!).

• Like 15

Dd is very happy where she is. Bit of a rough start, because her roommate just never showed up for school, then she had a roommate part of the first semester who ended up dropping out. But she's happy with her new roommate, she LOVES living in the honors dorm, and her grades were good first semester. I'm worried she's having a little too much fun on campus - haha! - but as long as she is keeping her grades up, I guess she's balancing things just fine. Although she's happy when she's home (mostly b/c she catches up on sleep!), she's actually a little homesick for the school when she's not there.

So far, so good!

• Like 12

Has everyone got their courses for next year?

My engineer appears to be using his humanties electives (lots at this school, comparitively speaking) to fulfill the most important of the educational goals I had for him that we either botched or didn't get to.  I am soooo surprised.  And sooo happy.  I put a ton of thought into those goals.  They were universal ones, applicable to my techie child and my non-techie child, narrowed down to what I thought were the needs of a lifetime, not just would-be-nice-s or the standard high school requirements for college.  I am delighted!

He also has figured out housing for next year and solidified his summer plans - part living with my parents helping Grampa, part wilderness/EMT training, part sailing with us.  Not exactly lucrative or applicable to his field, but extremely useful, good for him, and should be restful enough that he goes back to school in good shape, provided that the weather cooperates.

Of course, he has to survive this batch of classes first.  So far so good but he is really having to scramble.  I am SO thankful his scholarship doesn't depend on getting A's.  There is no way he could do it.

I hope all the freshman survive their year with their scholarships intact and find comfortable classes and housing for next year, and all those for whom this is not the case are able to come up with plans that suit them better than their current situation.

Nan

• Like 13

My dd has just chosen a major in plant sciences and seems so happy to finally have a focus. She also took French for fun and really likes it. (Maybe she will minor in it.) After taking mainly gen ed courses this year, she will go heavy on the sciences in the fall. I hope that goes well for her after a relatively easy year.

Her greatest frustration has been her calc teacher who doesn't seem to explain things very well. At least this has made her familiar with the tutoring center. She lived at home and seems perfectly content to continue doing so. I had hoped she would be more interested in getting involved at school, but I guess she is doing things her way. All in all, it has been a good year for her.

• Like 9

Dd is doing well, working hard, loves her friends, enjoying extras like ultimate frisbee, intramural soccer, going to ballet, plays, football games, etc. I sense that she has found her rhythm on campus and this semester has been easier because of that, not due to the classes being any easier. She chose a biology major/physics minor.

She is looking forward to being home this summer but also looking forward to starting back again in fall when she and her current suite-mates will move into another dorm that has a small kitchen in the suite. So far the only negative has been the cafeteria food, so having a kitchen next year will be a welcome change.

p.s. I love reading all of your stories. What a great bunch of kids we have here. Well done, ladies!

• Like 10

Mine are ready for summer break!

Dd19b seems to be maintaining her 4.0, but is increasingly nervous about it. I keep telling her it doesn't matter one bit if she doesn't get an A in something. Her actual grade in her biology class is a B, and it is driving her insane. But, the class average is in the low 60s with no one having an A. I keep telling her that the teacher will most likely make adjustments in the end. It is driving her perfectionistic self crazy. She did get an A on her lab I posted her having lab partner problems with. She received "Swimmer of the Year" award for her entire conference. And, she is becoming more social. I warned her that would happen as classes become harder; you just need more break-time.) 

Dd19a has restarted at our CC. She is doing well, surprising herself with math. Not a surprise to me, she can do it; she just can't take those stupid tests. The class is remedial and totally online for instruction. It doesn't involve word problems, so she is good. She had to drop her reading class. The school messed up when her original class did not make and she was transferred into another class. Her class number wasn't changed somehow and she lost a month of work (don't understand why she had to start over when they finally realized they messed up and remedied the class number). There was no way she could finish the class with that setback. Her main problem is reading speed anyway. Plus, the class is just stupid. The kids in the class pretty much all have learning disabilities (result: can't score high enough on reading test). It teaches them nothing that will help them. The "correct" answers are ambiguous and difficult to guess correctly. Even the tutors for the class cannot pass many of these tests. They are just that poorly constructed. She has learned to step up and insist on teachers allow her the extra time she is allowed. Wish she were allowed that extra time on the diagnostic testing; makes no sense to me why she isn't. If she doesn't pass it in the fall, she will just drop out and find work without a degree. I wish they would allow her to take the regular classes (require certain test scores in reading) and prove that she can pass them without passing this class first. With extended test time and low class hours for a semester, she would do just fine. All other classes are regular, but not reading intensive, and she has all A's. She can do it; they just have to allow her to try (which they won't).

• Like 8

Mine ended semester 1 with 2 As and 2 A-s (those in freshman comp and in communications--subjects I hoped he'd get Cs in, as he's quiet and did not consider himself a writer.)  This semester he has 17 credits--way too much. Still he seems to be maintaining As and Bs, which is just fine.  Today, though, he came home in tears with an "F" on his Calc 2 midterm.  It is worth 17% of his grade, but it is out of character.  He'd been getting mostly As and some Bs on his homework and an A on the first midterm.  He's trying to figure out what happened and will go see his prof during office hours.  I'm feeling for him--he's miserable.  He likes Calculus and this is shaking him.

• Like 7

Mine ended semester 1 with 2 As and 2 A-s (those in freshman comp and in communications--subjects I hoped he'd get Cs in, as he's quiet and did not consider himself a writer.)  This semester he has 17 credits--way too much. Still he seems to be maintaining As and Bs, which is just fine.  Today, though, he came home in tears with an "F" on his Calc 2 midterm.  It is worth 17% of his grade, but it is out of character.  He'd been getting mostly As and some Bs on his homework and an A on the first midterm.  He's trying to figure out what happened and will go see his prof during office hours.  I'm feeling for him--he's miserable.  He likes Calculus and this is shaking him.

The "like" is for generally doing quite well, of course.  :grouphug: for the new Calc development and I hope all goes well with office hours and the rest of the semester.

• Like 4

Ug.  I remember SO clearly what that feels like.  Tell your son that this is not unnormal. : )  Most of us have suffered similar shocks, upon occasion.  It is part of challenging oneself.  And accidents do happen.  Most of us still have the occasional nightmare about such unexpected happenings, too.

This week, youngest had a similar experience in diff eq's.  He went through the exam carefully and discovered that he had copied or misremembered (can't remember if he was allowed a cheat sheet or not) a formula that he then used throughout one of the problems.  There were two problems on the exam.  He went and showed the professor where the mistake occurred and argued that he had done all the rest of the work correctly and the professor gave him partial credit instead of zero points for that problem.  The other, he had gotten entirely correct, so he went from a rather devastating flunk to a passing grade on the exam.  We heard about it because he was SO relieved.  I hope something similar happens to your son.  If he is generally doing well in the class, perhaps he and the professor can correct whatever the problem was and then he can do something to raise his grade into the non-flunking range so he doesn't have to get A's on everything else to avoid getting a D or F in the class.

As someone whose youngest is in college, I can tell you that you must have done something right if he is going to speak to the prof.  It took forever to talk ours into doing things like that.

Nan

• Like 9

DS is doing well. I mentioned in the fall that he had participated in a pre-orientation Campus Ministry program for 5 days and met a bunch of nice people that he is still friends with. He also joined an ultimate frisbee club, met more nice people, including some upperclassmen who took him under their wings.

He gets As and B+s -- pretty much the same as high school. :lol: He actually dislikes all his classes this semester except for Logic (a Philosophy Logic class) but he is a pragmatist and keeps chugging along.

He takes his first Accounting classes next semester and I'm hoping he likes those bc he plans on getting his CPA.

And then going to law school. :svengo:

• Like 10

Good!  My homebody dd continues to be a homebody on campus, happily so.  She's done fantastically academic-wise, on the dean's list in her honors program.  While she's not crazy about school, she's been surprised with how easy the vast majority of her classes are, most of which are fulfilling honors requirements.  She's considering a majors change, from Global Affairs to Criminology.

She'd taken some CC classes as a high school senior and was then able to have a lighter, 13 credit load for her first semester, That worked out very well.  She'll be taking a science course at CC over the summer to meet another gen ed requirement.  Before going into her sophomore year, she'll have 46 credits, giving her a nice cushion. 

The last two times we've seen her, we've taken home several boxes as she prepares to move out.  She has her class schedule and living arrangements all set for next year. This year FLEW past, and the transition was really seamless.

I absolutely love hearing how everyone's students are doing!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Caroline - I can't wait.  A few more days and mine will be where yours is.  Phew!  He's almost done!  One more homework assignment and quiz.  It looks like he managed to pass enough classes to keep his scholarships.  On one final, he should have been fine - he just needed a 40 to pass and was feeling fairly sure of all the material except one chapter, but then the choice of problems was unlucky and it looked like he was going to miss by a few points.  Ak!  So he "made something up" for the last problem, which was a problem from the chapter he had only had time to glance through (and he had grabbed the wrong formula for his cheat sheet).  Three pages of integration and guesses about how this situation might work later, he arrived at an answer of 2874.389 (or something equally unpromising).  And it turned out that he got it right!  Not only that, but he was the only one in the class who did.  He didn't do it the easy way described in the book.  Instead, he made up a formula that seemed like it might describe the way something like that would work and used it, thinking he could use every possible point and with all that writing, maybe the TA would give him 2 pts out of the 25 for effort.  We are unbelievably relieved that it looks like he is going to make it.  He has struggled from the beginning, partly because he had holes, partly because of a digression due to unlimited opportunities to socialize, and partly because classes at this school move faster than the wind and leave a ton to the students.  They accept students who say they like to teach themselves and then assume they actually can and will.  The lectures only cover the most difficult bits of the material.  They are expected to learn the bulk on their own from their textbooks or from each other (working together is heavily encouraged) or from the ubiquitous tutors.  It is assumed that you would rather have individual instruction from the tutors for the bits you didn't get rather than mass instruction in the lectures, which would be true if you prefered to figure things out on your own rather than be taught in a class, but as my son keeps saying, "I know I said I prefered to teach myself but now that I really have to do it for absolutely everything, I am discovering that it isn't as easy as I thought."  I can see that.  He did teach himself many things at home with me, but they were things he chose to learn and was intensely motivated to learn.  Now he has to do it whether he finds whatever it is immediately applicable to his interests or not.  And he often has to do it in a group, which has been another learning curve.  It has been a whale of a lot of work.  The relief that he has actually made it through the first year is immense.  Phew!  Phew!  Phew!  The good part is that he loves the school and says he doesn't think any other sort of academic structure would work for him.  It will be lovely to have him home for awhile this summer.

Nan

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Year One done today!  Waiting for grades, but he's feeling good about all his finals (including the Calculus 2 one  :001_smile: ).  He told me that his word for the biggest thing he learned this year was "integration"--both mathematically and in the broader sense in his studies, while smirking at his pun.  Biggest lesson learned--17 credits is too many for one semester.  It turned out well, but he's rather take an extra semester or two than be as burned out as he is by the end of this semester.  Proud of both him and his sister, who just finished her sophomore year!

• Like 8

PS.  After all the support earlier in the semester, just wanted to let you know that ds recovered nicely from the F on his Calc 2 test, and wound up with an "A" in the class.  The F was only 17 % of the grade, and apparently he got an A on the final, and the rest of his grades were "A"s.  He's happy and beyond relieved!

• Like 9

PS.  After all the support earlier in the semester, just wanted to let you know that ds recovered nicely from the F on his Calc 2 test, and wound up with an "A" in the class.  The F was only 17 % of the grade, and apparently he got an A on the final, and the rest of his grades were "A"s.  He's happy and beyond relieved!

This needed more than just a like.  ;)  Congrats to your guy!

• Like 4

Here's to support!!!  Ours required tons. : )

That is wonderful news!

Nan

• Like 1

Here's to support!!!  Ours required tons. : )

That is wonderful news!

Nan

I think it's also helpful for some to know that it doesn't require one doing "super" well at college to do well afterward.  Hubby barely graduated in 5 years (to be honest).  He failed Calc on his first try and probably another course or two too (I try not to dwell on the "bad," so my memory is fuzzy).  He had one prof outright tell him to change his major as he'd never be able to do engineering.

Fast forward a few moons... and he owns his own engineering company (after having worked for others first, of course), is a licensed Professional Engineer (had to pass a test for this), and has done projects on several continents as well as many locally.  He is the first one local townships send newbies to when they are looking for someone in his field.  He literally never has to advertise and is currently overloaded with jobs.  The only "down" point in his career was when the economic downturn happened, then it hit everyone.  Some competitors retired.  Others moved.  His business stayed afloat (that's when he branched out worldwide - thanks internet!).

The problem hubby had in college was liking to do "other things" more than studying... but he certainly did learn enough to get started and there's no one around who would doubt his ability now. No one cares that he had a 2.something GPA either.

I love that middle son has super high scores.  It makes me jealous actually... he needs them for his future path and he's just plain "good at it" in ways I certainly never was.  But oldest recently graduated with so-so grades... following his dad's footsteps and getting very involved in "other" things.  But having talked with him last night - he's loving his job (managing a warehouse - business major) and doing well with it.

I think the most important key to success with a diploma is people skills (and some learning from college), not the GPA, so one shouldn't despair if not among the "A" group IMO.  I'll admit I did worry about oldest... going to a small Christian school, then not getting the grades I expected of him with his ability, and with this economy the way it is, etc.  I'm a bit more relieved now and thought I'd share.

• Like 8

I think it's also helpful for some to know that it doesn't require one doing "super" well at college to do well afterward. ... 

Similar story here.  I guess that is why I am so willing to talk about our children's struggles.  Struggling is normal in our family.  If we aren't struggling, we tend to wonder if perhaps we shouldn't be doing something else lol.  Or we decide there is room in our lives to do other things. Learning to recover from oopsies is a really really important life skill which mine all will have lots of practice at. : )

Nan

• Like 4

Ds.1 finished first semester with a 4.0 and second with 3.9 GPA. He made a lot of friends, tried out Cricket, bungee jumping, and many other fun activities. He also joined the Pre med society, volunteered at community service events, attended a medical humanities retreat, and got elected to the Student Senate. He has figured out how to study in college, take care of his diet, and maintain a work life balance. Overall, he seems to be more calm and back to his old self now after all the excitement of attending college and dealing with all the social and emotional upheaval that came along with it. Finding a church and life group to attend weekly gave him the much needed spiritual anchoring that was critical being so far away from home. I am very grateful.

• Like 6

Diamond is at community college and doing well.  She'd really hate the "college experience" since she's a bit of in introvert. She has a work study job in the campus library, and a second part-time job at a dancewear retailer. If she picks up her THIRD part-time job as a dance teacher, she may nearly explode from happiness.

She is also just about halfway through a 6-week summer session, 2 classes. This will free up her fall schedule a little, avoid an online class (funny thing- the people-avoiding introvert doesn't want an online class :confused1: ) and allow her to start classes at 11am. NOT a morning person, LOL!

She's deciding whether or not to go to a dance-teacher training class (2 weeks, several states away) this summer or wait until next year. If she holds off until next year she can take a few dance classes over the summer.  Latin Ballroom and Belly Dance are what she's hoping for.

• Like 4

I think it's also helpful for some to know that it doesn't require one doing "super" well at college to do well afterward.  Hubby barely graduated in 5 years (to be honest).  He failed Calc on his first try and probably another course or two too (I try not to dwell on the "bad," so my memory is fuzzy).  He had one prof outright tell him to change his major as he'd never be able to do engineering.

Fast forward a few moons... and he owns his own engineering company (after having worked for others first, of course), is a licensed Professional Engineer (had to pass a test for this), and has done projects on several continents as well as many locally.  He is the first one local townships send newbies to when they are looking for someone in his field.  He literally never has to advertise and is currently overloaded with jobs.  The only "down" point in his career was when the economic downturn happened, then it hit everyone.  Some competitors retired.  Others moved.  His business stayed afloat (that's when he branched out worldwide - thanks internet!).

The problem hubby had in college was liking to do "other things" more than studying... but he certainly did learn enough to get started and there's no one around who would doubt his ability now. No one cares that he had a 2.something GPA either.

I love that middle son has super high scores.  It makes me jealous actually... he needs them for his future path and he's just plain "good at it" in ways I certainly never was.  But oldest recently graduated with so-so grades... following his dad's footsteps and getting very involved in "other" things.  But having talked with him last night - he's loving his job (managing a warehouse - business major) and doing well with it.

I think the most important key to success with a diploma is people skills (and some learning from college), not the GPA, so one shouldn't despair if not among the "A" group IMO.  I'll admit I did worry about oldest... going to a small Christian school, then not getting the grades I expected of him with his ability, and with this economy the way it is, etc.  I'm a bit more relieved now and thought I'd share.

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so relieved that her first year is over! She is attending College of Charleston, her "dream school".  Final GPA 3.5. She took courses such as: general psychology, Spanish, Shakespeare and the Comedic Arts, Freshman English, Ballet, Beginning Acting, Costume and Design I, Classics for the Digital Age,  Music Appreciation, Screenwriting, etc.  A nice mix of gen ed, major and elective courses, All A's and B's.  Her creative brain was in high gear!  

I wasn't sure how she would do, since she has ADHD  as well as depression, but things worked out well. She absolutely had some moments when she called me or my hubby in a panic or crying fit about things "falling apart" and "not wanting to live in the dorms, so she could be alone to study," but she pushed through it, got advice, and overall it has been a great experience.  She went off her meds several times, which didn't help the situation, and she learned the hard way that she needs to keep taking her prescribed medication, even when she doesn't feel like it.  One of her roommates snooped in  my dd's bathroom cupboard and found her prescription bottles, and googled the names of the meds. Which totally embarrased my dd, which caused her to stop taking them for a while. Sigh.  But beside that, it's been an amazing growing experience for her. Thankful God kept her safe!

• Like 4

• 3 years later...