Menu

What to use for a very strategic minded 7th grader

My son, is a strategist. He excels at chess, battle plans, risk, anything and everything that he can analyze and weigh scenarios. 

Is there a curriculum or program that he might like to help him develop these qualities in a positive way.

I know this is vague, I'm just not sure how to support this skill.

TYIA

Interesting.  Kudos to you for recognizing this quality in your DS!  I don't have any specific curriculum recommendations, but I am also a strategic thinker (though it manifests itself in different ways for me since I don't care about chess or battles, LOL).  For me, that strategic thinking comes from contemplating the big picture.  As a learner I am **very** "whole-to-parts" - I want to understand from the beginning how things fit together.  Please don't give me a bunch of minutiae without already providing a nice scaffolding behind it all.  So if I were you, that's what I'd look for - whole-to-parts curricula.

I recently came across this book on Amazon and put it on my "to preview" list for my DD: http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Strategy-Theorists-Business/dp/0393337170/ref=pd_sim_b_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=03YF1C9835900P9VKNXT

I don't know whether the content is age-appropriate for middle-schoolers but it definitely looked intriguing.

Thank you tranquility7! I have often wondered about this with him, and it's just been lately that it has been become more evident with him. I am very much the opposite.

Any suggestions for curriculum you have seen and loved?

Crimson Wife - thank you, this looks awesome! I already put it in my cart. My husband is a little hesitant about giving him those kind of "tools" going into his

teenage years! lol!!

There are quite a few classic books that lean toward strategy.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

The Prince by Machiavelli

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Carnegie

Utopia by Thomas Moore (there is a lot of underlying political stuff in this, but it doesn't need to be known for the book to be awesome)

How to Profit By One's Enemies by Plutarch

History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

The Book of Five Rings by Musashi

None of these is distinctly curriculum, but it does show how great strategists from different time periods and cultures have thought. Many if them are war related, but I think that might be sort of par for the course.

There are quite a few classic books that lean toward strategy.

The Art of War by Sun Tzu

The Prince by Machiavelli

How to Win Friends and Influence People by Carnegie

Utopia by Thomas Moore (there is a lot of underlying political stuff in this, but it doesn't need to be known for the book to be awesome)

How to Profit By One's Enemies by Plutarch

History of the Peloponnesian War by Thucydides

Washington: A Life by Ron Chernow

The Book of Five Rings by Musashi

None of these is distinctly curriculum, but it does show how great strategists from different time periods and cultures have thought. Many if them are war related, but I think that might be sort of par for the course.

Love the list!   I cannot conceive of a "curiculum" that can adequately address strategic thinking.  Maybe it's my legal training, but what is required IMO is a lot of reading and discussion centered around outstanding books (like those above) ranging in topic, complexity, and perspective.  I also pair readings, for example, Machiavelli with Greene's 48 Laws of Power.  House of Cards (BBC and US both have versions) would be a good addition to round things out for high school students.  I would never recommend this approach, though, in the absence of a great deal of time to discuss these ideas. 

ETA:  I should pay attention to thread; I thought this was HS.  I would not recommend Greene/HOC prior to HS years.  Sorry!!