Menu

Hashbrown casserole help!

Mama Geek

I signed up to make a hash brown casserole for church next Sunday and I have never made one.  Does anyone have a good tried and true recipe for a 9X13X2 pan and that is gluten free.  I will need to put it together on Friday to take it to church and they will bake it Sunday morning.

This would work:

http://centercutcook.com/hash-brown-casserole-without-cream-soup/

(You don't need the ham.)

Quite a few recipes call for cream of ---- soup which sometimes have gluten.

When I make it, toss the potatoes with the melted butter, mix all the other ingredients together, THEN put THAT mixture in with the potatoes and butter. Oh, and use garlic salt or seasoning instead of regular salt.

HTH

Edit...OMGosh...ignore me. I didn't see the creamy part of the recipe...that uses flour as a thickener. You could substitute corn starch, though, instead.

We call it "church lady potatoes"

But you can get those frozen hashbrowns in the green bag, the brand is "simply potatoes." Those are gluten free.

You get the diced potato version.

Throw potatoes in pan, add sour cream, cream of chicken soup, tons of cheese and top it with corn flakes.

You can get gluten free corn flakes but I don't know about the cream of chicken soup. You could probably add some cream and chicken bouillon instead.

I never make this because I can't have dairy but that is essentially what the church ladies make. :)

I don't think I have seen cream of soups without gluten.  I picked it because I thought I could make it and it be something dh could eat.

You can probably just use a little cream and bouillon, maybe add more sour cream to thicken it up a bit.

I have food allergies, I understand how hard it can be to make that comfort food. :lol:

I don't use cream of soups. I do two bags of frozen hashbrowns, half a stick of melted butter, bag of shredded cheddar (save some for top) chop up small onion, sour cream. 2 eggs. Salt and pepper. Mix it all, top with leftover Cheddar and bake till bubbly. I don't add cornflakes but you could.

We call them funeral potatoes. Yes, hash browns, cream of whatever, sour cream, cheese and corn flakes on top. Yum!

That's what we call them too!  My daughter loves them and I had to make them for her because one day without realizing what she saying (when she was 8), she said, "I wish we could go to another funeral so I can have some of those yummy funeral potatoes the ladies make."

We don't need any more funerals, I now will make them for her!