Menu

If you grew up w/ traditional parents. . .

Alicia64

My mom worked in the house: cleaning, cooking etc. My dad worked outdoors: yard and cars.

​

​Dh provides in every way except the yard. Moderator: I'm not complaining about dh. I'm trying to figure out how to get up the nerve to pay a yard guy. I'm somewhat frugal and just hate the thought of $60 going out the door every month.

​

​I'd do the yard work myself, but I'm already doing a lot of indoor chores (cooking, cleaning, laundry etc.) so I can't seem to work in the yard without building up a full head of steam. Also, my back has problems and it makes it tough to do any serious yard work.

​

​So, last fall I decided that I would not -- not! -- let this yard stuff interfere w/ my marriage anymore. I'd hire a yard guy and that would be that. Yes, the money will come out of my budget, but $60 for some sanity is worth it.

​

​So, please tell me to pay the guys and get it scheduled. (I think part of me is nervous that I won't get much for $60, but I guess if they mow and blow -- that will make the yard look substantially better. Right?)

​

​Our house sits between two people who really take care of their yards so we look eyesore-ish.

​

​If you think I'm being lame for not doing the work myself -- feel free to say, but say it nicely. I'm not in the right place for harsh feedback.

​

​Alley

Yard guy..... $60

Sanity......priceless

Now this is easy for me to say, but I would stress over the cost too. But I do believe it is worth it.

(I just looked at your signature.....my parents paid me to mow the lawn and stuff by age 11. Any reason you can't pay your boys to do it? You're still paying, but they are gaining skills and learning how to manage money!)

You have several options:

Pay the yard guy.

Simplify your landscaping so that maintenance is minimal and do it yourself with minimal effort

Hand yard maintenance over to your 11 year old sons.

I am cheap. before I'd pay, I would explore options 2 and 3 or a combination thereof. But if you have the money and it is important to you - go spend it.  If it helps keep you sane and your marriage intact, it should be a high priority.

I don't know what this has to do with growing up with traditional parents but honestly, if it is worth the money for you and you are not using credit cards in other parts of you life, then splurge and don't worry about it.  I have friends who spend that much every week for coffee.  LOL  at least a yard gets enjoyed more that the 1-2 hours a day that they spend drinking $60 LOL 

In the fall, the amount of trees that drop leaves is almost indescribable. We bagged at least 60 of those huge black bags in the front and back -- and still didn't get it all. I don't at mind giving my boys indoor and outdoor chores, but they'll end up doing a half-baked job and I'll be in the same situation.

​

​And there are popcorn balls everywhere in the front. I'm happy to have them pick them all up, but with all the droppings that go on the boys would out there for hours. They'll definitely weed certain areas and water. We don't have sprinklers. We're in a rental so I can't add or subtract from the property.

If it's too much stress to get someone in the family to do it, hire someone.

I like physical work and the outdoors, but I've been paying someone for years to do yard work, because I can't consistently make time for it.  No guilt.  It's like paying someone else to change my oil, cut my hair, bake my bread, and teach my kids to swim.  Just because it isn't flat out impossible for me to do these things doesn't mean I should feel guilty for hiring it done.

My boys age 6 and 7 do yard-work, usually alongside me but sometimes without me. I do not pay them.

ETA: In your situation, (having the money for it, the benefit when weighed against other options, the size of the task) I would have scheduled the service instead of getting online to do a survey about getting the service.

I would probably do a little of both--pay someone to come out 1x a month and have the kids do upkeep work in the interim. You have two 11-yo boys so unless there is some exceptional circumstance, there isn't any real reason why they can not do some yard maintanence work every week between Lawn Care Service Day?

I would hire someone, if I had the money.  My DH will do the yard work when he has time. Right now our yard is overgrown, but DH plans to mow it tomorrow after work.  I refuse to do yard work because of my allergies.  Even with antihistamines my eyes will get all red and swollen and my nose gets terribly runny.  I wish my 11 year old could do it but it is really hard because we live on a hill, and he is a bit clumsy and has motor skill delays.  I am afraid he would hurt himself.

In my home growing you my parents had very traditional role, but my mom was still the one who did the most yard work.  My brother and sister would do some when they were old enough, but my brother like me has bad seasonal allergies, so it was a pain for him.

My kids do pick up the leaves, though.  It's how they earn money when they want to buy something for themselves.  :)  One dollar per bucket.  They throw them down the ravine in the backyard.

​That's awesome, but I'm talking about creating a situation where I don't have to worry about the yard -- and nag dh to do it. I'm tired of the yard looking half done. And a 6 or 7 yr. old is not going to fully mow and blow in one fell swoop so I can get onto other things.

​So, please tell me to pay the guys and get it scheduled.

Sorry. I guess I was thrown off by all the other words. The "traditional parents" thing and all the other info is irrelevant if you really just want to do it. No need to solicit feedback just to shoot it all down. You have your reasons, so let them be good enough for you even if others would do things differently!

It doesn't matter if anyone thinks you're lame for not wanting to do your yardwork. There is only so much a person can do in a day and still stay sane, and that varies from person to person. I think you are wise to try to do what you can to help your marriage. If the $60 doesn't place a financial hardship on you, then go for it...guilt free!

My parents were very traditional and the division of labor was much like you described, though my mother enjoyed mowing the lawn.  The division of labor in my home is similar.

In your situation I would discuss the yard problem with my husband and we would decide together how to deal with it.  Neither of us would commit to a monthly payment without talking to the other (actually in our area it is $40 a week so $60 a month sounds like a bargain to me!).   In our neighborhood most people use a lawn service, but a few of us do our own maintenance but call in a service for specific things we can't do.   But we don't have the issues you have.  My son has taken over the mowing, we all do the raking, and we don't have popcorn balls - do you mean sweetgum balls?    :-)

I don't think you are lame for not doing it - I don't do any either.   If you and your husband don't have a problem with the money, then go for it. 

I would be thrilled to find a guy to mow the lawn for $60 a month. I would be thrilled to pay $60 a week. Actually, I'd be thrilled to pay twice that, but it's not going to happen, so I pony up the cash and try not to think about it.

It's well worth the price if your dh isn't into yard work and you want your lawn to look nice without having to do it yourself.

Ask me how I know. ;)

In the fall, the amount of trees that drop leaves is almost indescribable. We bagged at least 60 of those huge black bags in the front and back -- and still didn't get it all. I don't at mind giving my boys indoor and outdoor chores, but they'll end up doing a half-baked job and I'll be in the same situation.

​

I'm with the others who said to pay for a service.  However, in reference to the above quote, they may, at first, do a poor job, but with a little supervision, the quality could improve over time.

Hire your oldest son.  Make a detailed list - with check boxes - of everything that you expect done.  Include the time frame in which it needs to be completed (at first allow for extra time since it is new to him).  Let him know how much you are willing to pay him.  Inform him that the money is his to spend how he wants (or save for something special for himself).  Be sure to stress that if the job is incomplete, takes a substantially long time to complete, or if he has a poor attitude about it, your deal will be terminated.  In other words, provide all the details up front.

After a month, if it isn't working out, hire a service.

I'm in a similar boat.  We have beautiful yards all around us.  The yard is not a priority to anyone but me.  Last year I mowed 95 percent of the time as well as did the majority of the other yard work and garden.  I have RA.  Around my house, we have always done everything ourselves.  Some in the family simply refuse to hire any one.  It can be a challenge when time and physical ability play a part.

I think you need to check a lawn service for prices. I think you will see your sons as a more viable option after you do. You did say $60 per month, not per week that was available? Chances of finding someone to mow and blow the yard for $15 a week is quite low.

I think you need to check a lawn service for prices. I think you will see your sons as a more viable option after you do. You did say $60 per month, not per week that was available? Chances of finding someone to mow and blow the yard for $15 a week is quite low.

​

​Yes, it's $30 every two weeks. It's just for mow and blow in the front yard and sides -- not in the back.

My parents are very traditional, but my mom has done most of the yard work throughout their 50+ year marriage. If she had waited for my dad to do it wouldn't have been pretty. Hiring help was never in the budget for them and now in her 70s she still jumps on the John Deere and mows their 5 acres. I, however, could never aspire to her greatness. Dh did the lawn until he didn't live here, then ds took over. 

I would also double check your estimates. I live in a rural town with a low cost of living and I'd be hard pressed to get anyone to do all you need for $60 per month, I'd probably have to pay $35-40 per mowing and I have a small yard. 

You might be able to hire someone once a month and allow the boys to fill in the other times. Paying ds is  better motivation to do a good job

ETA: saw your post about price, I would hire someone to do that and let the boys do the back. Win win for everyone. 

We'd pay around $40 a week here for mow, edge and weedwacking. About 1/3rd of an acre.

In your situation I would discuss the yard problem with my husband and we would decide together how to deal with it.  Neither of us would commit to a monthly payment without talking to the other (actually in our area it is $40 a week so $60 a month sounds like a bargain to me!). 

I'd think long term.

Hire the guy right away for the mow and blow.

If possible, hire him for a special job of trimming out extra greenery in the front, back, and sides. Or, if you have the time, do it yourself.  Your goal is to make the yard plain and easy to maintain.

In between his visits, start teaching the boys how to do yard work.  If they don't do it "right" it's ok, because the lawn guy will come back and fix it up.

In a couple of years, after they have experience, they can take over the yard work in full and you won't need to hire the guy anymore.

If the budget can afford it, it is well worth paying for to save your sanity and relationship with your dh.

I am a big one though on having the kids help so if you have 2 11 year old boys I would sit them down and let them know that the lawn work will cost $60/month.  They could each take a week and earn $20 or they could split each turn and earn $10 /each twice a month (paying them a bit less than the going rate----or you could pay the going rate) OR.........if they dont' want to do the work then there will be less money in the budget for  x or y.

Barring special needs (and even my 3 with mental impairments do yard work), they COULD do the work and do a good job.  You and dh have to decide if you want to make it something they must do or just decide to pay the lawn service and be happy about it.

I'd pay that in a heartbeat. We mow close to three acres with a zero turn mower, push mow around trees and week whack around the house, pole barn and other various (non-living) things. It takes 2-4 hours a week on average. It's hard work. I've done it for years, now my teens do it. My mom took care of the yard too. I do not have back problems, and neither did she. I can't even picture my dad on the mower. I think it was the kind of thing that was hard on his bad hip.

Little kids would not be much help with the yardwork here. 

If it makes you feel better, then do it.  I don't think it should come out of your budget though.  If dh is supposed to do it, then he should pay, or you should at least split it.  Ok, rant over.  My sister pays $30-$35 every two weeks for her yard.  He mows, trims, and blows her yard. 

I grew up with traditional parents, as did my husband.

My husband actually enjoys yard work, but he doesn't have much time for it.

We pay a yard guy. He's great. He comes once a week or bi-weekly, does extra when we need him to, and is reasonably priced.

Just pay the guy, lol.

If you can afford this, get over the spending the money issue. I've been thinking through something similar to this lately and I've come to two things:

1) The investment in my time is very valuable considering the ages of my kids and how much longer I "have them" to love on, read with, teach, relate to and engage with. Which is more valuable, my $60/month (or whatever it is I can afford) or the time it will buy me with my kids?

2) We can't take it with us. So if I keel over tomorrow and have been $60/month richer, what does it matter to that point if our family's needs were cared for, we could do some saving for the future, emergency fund, whatever. When I die, that $60 would have been better spent buying me more time with my kids while they were in my home and more energy to be the happy Mommy I really want to be.

I very much understand where you are coming from. I'm Type A, would love to do it all and would gladly turn everything in my life into a project, and I can do it all a lot better than the guy I pay (perfectionist). But, that doesn't work well with kids and when all is said and done, the $60 and the perfect yard won't matter at all. Look at it as an investment in your kids and your time as a teacher and Mom being more valuable than your time as a landscaper. ;)

I grew up with very traditional parents but my dad worked six days a week and Sundays were family only. My mom and brothers did all the yard work. My sister and I were never asked to help. Dds and I help dh with yard work but he wants to use a reel mower and parts of the yard are rather difficult for us, so he still does most of the work but he seems to enjoy doing it by himself on early Saturday mornings.

$60 a month is crazy cheap. Go for it!

I wouldn't take it out of "my" budget, but we don't divide up the money. The lawn being done is a requirement of the lease and therefore a mutual responsibility. Your way of doing it is hiring a service. He's welcome to present another option if he doesn't like your solution.

If the service is terrible, you find another one. NBD.

The money I pay our yard guy is hands-down the best money I spend each month.

My DH works 60-80 hours a week and its a huge weight off of me to not have to worry about the yard.

When the economy was really bad and we were starting our own business, I was cutting corners everywhere.  The yard guy is the only luxury I didn't cut.

Thank you everyone! I've decided to do a combo of what everyone is saying: I'm hiring the mow/blow guys for every other week. But the entire time the boys and I are going to get out there and get the alternate weeks handled, the weeds handled etc.

​

​I've given two small plots -- under mailbox and outdoor light -- to each boy and said, "this is your garden and you'll keep it pretty." I'm hoping the ownership will help. We need that black paper stuff down to keep the weeds out.

​

​I admire those of you who do this on your own. It's a lot of work. Part of it is that we're on 1/2 an acre and there are also many, many super tall trees that drop: a zillion leaves, acorns, acorn shells that split in half, and "gumballs" or pokey round things. It's just a mess and a lot of work.

​

​We're from a state that just didn't see this level of yard work. On top of that Dh bought a push mower. :crying: And our blower isn't great. Because we're in a rental he keeps saying that he hesitates to buy more in case we don't need it at the next place.

​

​Normally Dh is very, very smart and very on top of things. But this yard stuff just eludes him. :lol:

​

​Thanks for your help,

​

​Alley

​

We just hired someone to mow and care for the grass. I am happy about it, though the price hurts. Even with someone caring for the grass, there is still a lot of yard work to do.

If your DH is willing to provide in every way except the yard, negotiate a trade with him. He takes over X inside (laundry, bathrooms, finances whatever) and you take over the yard. I would rather do yard work that inside chores, but I won't mow. I won't do anything that is gasoline operated because of the fumes. So we hired a yard service, but I don't think it's totally fair to hire out DH's jobs and have me keep all of mine. So even with a weekly yard service, we talked about who does what overall in and outside. Basically, I don't care who does what as long as they do it well. I had kids mowing, but they are away a good bit during the growing months. I basically expect the kids to do whatever I ask, but when they are super busy, I hate to make our home life too naggy.

But me doing everything and paying for DH's stuff also isn't what I want.

For years, my DH felt like he had to do the lawn himself, but he really didn't have the time to do it, and if he had time, he wanted to be able to relax and enjoy the yard, not mow and edge it. He HATED the idea of paying someone, so he (and sometimes I) would go out a bit too infrequently and mow it with a falling-apart mower. One day I hit the end of my tolerance, asked the yard guy who was doing a neighbor's yard at the time to do ours too, and I've never looked back. It is SO worth it, and where I live it costs more than $60 a month.

My DH complained until the day he came home and saw the yard looking perfect because the yard guys had just left. Then he realized how much better of a job they do compared to us, and he decided it was worth it. My yard people are mowing as I'm typing, and while I still hate writing those checks to them, I won't give them up unless forced to!

Just did this last Friday. Our yard, though small, was really terrible, and we just didn't have the skill or time to take care of it. Finally gave in, had a major clean up and will now have them out at least monthly.

I wish I had done it before. I may try to start getting in the habit of doing it or having my boys learn to take it over, but right now having it caught up and done properly was worth every penny. I was at the point of fantasizing about green concrete.

Plus now maybe the neighbors will start talking to us again.

​

Ok, but I want to know why your husband does not do it.  I'm not saying "it's the man's job".  I truly do not feel that way, but I do feel like since I do most of the housework around here it is not too much to expect my husband to do yard work.  It isn't even a daily task most of the time.  If he could not do it, I'd expect him to do one of my tasks so it could free me up time and energy wise to deal with it. 

​

​Uh. . . you realize you're speaking to the choir. I couldn't agree more w/ you. He always has the best intentions, but he never makes his actions meet his intentions. I could give a long list on the awesome things he does.

​

​Like: he travels a lot more than he used to and I didn't like staying alone. We couldn't afford to put in a $1500 alarm system. So for under $500 he figured out how to install a wireless alarm system. Without asking me. He just did it. And it's been so great for the weeks when he's not here.

​

​

But that gives you an idea of who he is: more techie then yardie.

​

​Alley

​

​Like: he travels a lot more than he used to and I didn't like staying alone. We couldn't afford to put in a $1500 alarm system. So for under $500 he figured out how to install a wireless alarm system. Without asking me. He just did it. And it's been so great for the weeks when he's not here.

​

​

But that gives you an idea of who he is: more techie then yardie.

​

​Alley

I completely understand the techie thing. I can see dh doing something like that. My boys are older, and do mow. Dh weedwacks but that's about it. He has already decided that when they have moved out, we will pay for a lawn service. We already pay someone to trim the bushes and willow tree once a year. Well worth it.

Sounds like you already have a good plan going, but I'm thinking . . . 11 year old boys . . . maybe a CONTEST! W/a "significant" prize attached? ($10 gift card to Amazon / book store?)  You could make a list of things you're watching for . . . neat edges, trim grass, no sticks / leaves, etc. Write each "descriptor" on a popsicle stick, randomly pull one out each day, and the kid whose plot is better at THAT descriptor wins for the day. Week winner = THE PRIZE!

My husband is very techie too.  And cooking?  He does not cook.  EVER.  But he does know how to operate a wash machine.  And he knows how to wash dishes.  And he sometimes does those things.  Just like sometimes I mow the lawn or go and weed his garden (yes his garden because I hate gardening). 

My techie does cook.... In fact, he finds it relaxing so he does it often :)

Well, I had traditional parents in that they were both homo sapiens. Is that what you mean?

I would not judge you for hiring other homo sapiens to mow your yard this year.

I have a rule that I won't ask anyone to do anything that I won't do myself. If I won't do it myself then it is time to pay someone to do it.

If I will do something, but don't have the time or the motivation etc, then I will assign it to a boy and they are always happy to pitch in.