Menu

Story of US (concise edition) or American Odyssey for 6th grade?

My ds will be in 6th grade next year and we will be studying American History.  We're both very excited about it, but I can't decide whether to go with the Story of US or American Odyssey.

Background:

My older daughter has been using Human Odyssey for her world history and I really like it - same authors/publishers as American Odyssey, correct?  I haven't seen the concise edition of The Story of US, but really liked the 11 (?) volume version - although it's wayyyy too much.  Another thing is that my son does much better with worksheets and directed questions in history, ala K12. 

Any thoughts or advice?

Thank you!!

Cindy

I have both American Odyssey and concise Story of US here, and I also have HO1-3. Between AO and Story of US, I'd suggest Story of US for a 6th grader.

The reading level of AO is advanced and dense, even compared to HO3. K12 uses AO in high school (10th+) and Story of US in 5th & 6th grade, and I can clearly see why when I compare them.

ETA: Since your DS likes worksheets, you can get K12's student & teacher guides for Story of US. As far as I know, those don't exist for AO. I believe AO's related resources are online through K12 only.

TarynB and Murrayshire, thank you so much for that information!  That's exactly what I was looking for.  I don't want to frustrate ds with the reading and he does really like those k12 student pages. 

One more question: did I see correctly that k12 does American History in 2 years?

thanks again!

I would use The Story of US for a 6th grader.  The American Odyssey is definitely a high school text.  There is a huge difference in presentation and reading level between HO1 and HO3.  The American Odyssey is beyond HO3.