Menu

Questioning Challenge A tutor...Classical Conversations -help

We went to observe a CC group a couple of weeks ago.  We observed Challenge A and Foundations.  The tutor for Foundations is moving up to teach Challenge A in the fall.  The problem I have is this - the tutor for Foundations was a sub for the original teacher who was off because she had a baby.  The tutor had 2 of her sons in the Foundations class, and the class was WILD.  There were 6 boys and 1 girl, and her boys were definitely the instigators.  She would often say, "pay attention,"  "stop talking," but they completely ignored her and caused the other boys to act up too.  It was NOT good - talking over the teacher, not paying attention.  So, over at the Challenge A classroom, it was a dream - loved it!  However, the tutor for that is moving to Challenge B and this lady that was subbing Foundations is teaching Challenge A next year.  This was her first year is CC, but she did CC at home with her kids for years.  Her boys will be split up next year.  One will be moving to Challenge A and one will be staying in Foundations so there will be a different dynamic.   What do you think?  I think it is steering me away from joining.  Would it affect your decision?

Run away. :)

The tutor is the factor to look at in Challenge. Good parents make good tutors/teachers. If her own boys were wild, there is no way I would pay her to teach my children. I would also be wary about her knowledge of the subject matter in Challenge (unless she had taught her own children Challenge level at home?); you really need to know the material already in order to teach it well to a group of students.

Yes it definitely would.

Run away. :)

The tutor is the factor to look at in Challenge. Good parents make good tutors/teachers. If her own boys were wild, there is no way I would pay her to teach my children. I would also be wary about her knowledge of the subject matter in Challenge (unless she had taught her own children Challenge level at home?); you really need to know the material already in order to teach it well to a group of students.

Thanks!  I thought the same.  We are not joining next year.

This is the weakness of the CC tutor system. So much depends on a good tutor and because precious few of us were raised with a classical background, it's hard to find a mom prepared to excel in that role. Plus the tuition is nothing to sneeze at. We were fortunate in our first encounter with CC to have a very talented woman with a terrific sense of humor and energy as our Challenge A tutor. She will be a tough act to follow for the Challenge B tutor next year who is new to our program. If I were running our campus, I would make it a requirement to sit in on the entire Challenge A year as a prerequisite to teach Challenge B, but then it's hard to find willing tutors in our area. That said, it's hard for a mom whose kids don't respect her authority to exercise it effectively on a 7th grade group. Our son would be exasperated with her son's behavior and would be impatient with that kind of distraction. That's a shame for your campus. Maybe find another campus in your area?

Ah...nope.  Classroom management skills are very important.  We had a Challenge year with a tutor who regularly lost control, and it was a mess.  That was years ago, and we still talk about it.

I taught my own children at times in CC, but I expected them to toe the line and be an example for the others.

This is the weakness of the CC tutor system. So much depends on a good tutor and because precious few of us were raised with a classical background, it's hard to find a mom prepared to excel in that role. Plus the tuition is nothing to sneeze at. We were fortunate in our first encounter with CC to have a very talented woman with a terrific sense of humor and energy as our Challenge A tutor. She will be a tough act to follow for the Challenge B tutor next year who is new to our program. If I were running our campus, I would make it a requirement to sit in on the entire Challenge A year as a prerequisite to teach Challenge B, but then it's hard to find willing tutors in our area. That said, it's hard for a mom whose kids don't respect her authority to exercise it effectively on a 7th grade group. Our son would be exasperated with her son's behavior and would be impatient with that kind of distraction. That's a shame for your campus. Maybe find another campus in your area?

Unfortunately, this one was the closest, and it was still a good way to travel.  I feel relieved that I've decided not to join next year.  I was wrestling with the decision for several weeks, and immediately felt relief when my hubby and I decided on "NO."