Menu

Beginning Latin for mom

I got a good overview of Latin grammar by reading the Beginner's Latin Tutorial from the UK National Archives.

I am now working though Latina Ponti, which covers three noun declensions, two verb conjugations in four tenses and some lessons on pronouns, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions. The author also conducts a Mom's Latin Workshop online.

I started with First Form Latin which was really helpful for me.  Once I was about half way through and a little more confident, I switched to Henle I.  I have Wheelock's as well, but Henle is very much superior.  There are so many translations to do and I have learned so much.  I cannot recommend it enough. I am about half way through Henle I.

Is Henle classical or ecclesiastical? I'm considering doing a self study this summer just to get ahead of where my 6th grader will be this fall. So far I've been able to stay abreast, but some days I'm finding that I have to sit down and digest the lesson before I can help him.,

Classical or ecclesiastical is only important for pronunciation (and later when you are doing poetry.......much later). You can pronounce Latin words any way you want in your own home :D, although it's a good idea to choose a way and stick to that.

Henle is Catholic, so it uses an ecclesiastical pronunciation, but you can easily use the classcial pronunciation.

Henle is a great text! And there is an awesome Yahoo group where you can ask questions!

Does pronunciation matter at all for the NLE or ELE?

No, it doesn't matter at all for NLE.

My son learned Latin via Artes Latinae with classical pronunciation and my daughter used Henle with ecclesiastical. Both did equally well on the NLEs through all the levels. There aren't any listening or speaking exercises on the NLE.

• 5 weeks later...

I am now working though Latina Ponti, which covers three noun declensions, two verb conjugations in four tenses and some lessons on pronouns, adjectives, adverbs and prepositions. The author also conducts a Mom's Latin Workshop online.

Thank you for mentioning Latina Ponti!.....I actually have a summer class starting in June using that text/workbook, which is discounted 20% right now at Lulu. The link above will lead to information, but the most up-to-date website is here. Just scroll down to Summer Intro Latin.

Happy Summer, Everyone!