Menu

Book a Week in 2014 - BW16

Robin M

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't have a giant peanut! I don't think we have a giant peach either! I love Big Things, they are too much fun. Even the dead fish on the roof of the pub down woop woop was fun.

If I could grow up to be a fictional character, I'd be whoever Tiffany Aching is when she's as old as Granny Weatherwax.

Aw, Rosie, seeing the Big Things scattered across Australia was one of our absolute favorite pastimes on our family road trip up the eastern coast last year!

Big Banana

Big Mango

Big Bat (er, I mean, Flying Fox)

Big Spider

and the highlight of the whole trip:  Big Cassowary

What a country you've got, there!!

I detest Spanish moss. It kills trees.

I didn't realize it did that. :sad:  Well now I like it a lot less. That's part of the reason I dislike kudzu -- it covers & kills everything.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone. I will check into them next week when the libraries are open again.

Probably a dumb question -- but is Flufferton Abbey a place actually mentioned/used in books or are you guys using it as a general term to denote/indicate a particular type/genre of book??? (Since I don't typically read those, I wasn't sure what the answer would be...! :tongue_smilie: )

And, not to go off-topic here (you gals know I never do that :laugh: ), dh & I went to see Kevin Costner's 3 Days to Kill movie tonight. I figured it would be a Hollywood action movie (I usually like them), but this was better than I expected. I enjoyed the parent/teen interactions (because we have a sometimes-surly 15yo dd too :lol: ), plus I thought it had an interesting undertone -- Costner is portrayed as a bad dad since he pretty much abandoned his family in favor of work, but some of the other male/father characters are shown as being examples of good fathers, including a father from Africa, one from the Middle East, & (sort-of) one from Europe. I thought that was both an interesting & refreshing take that set it apart just a little bit from the stereotypical Hollywood movie.

ETA: I think the father angle is interesting since we've had so many discussions about women & the roles of women in life as seen in literature. Many action movies don't really address a 'father' angle, nor do they show examples of other cultures & how families are so important & central. That's why I thought to bring it up here....

We have Spanish moss here. It's neither Spanish nor moss, and while it doesn't kill trees in this area, it tends to grow on trees that are old or weak.

I was looking up Spanish Moss on Wikipedia to find out more about it (I guess it slowly weakens trees, based on what is written), but did you know that Spanish Moss also is:

used by some as the filling for traditional voodoo dolls

The things one learns on this thread.... :laugh:

And, of course, Faulkner is popping up in my mind again with all this discussion of Spanish Moss & all things Southern....

I always thought kudzu should be the evil creature in a horror movie.  I can remember driving through Mississippi as a kid and thinking those tendrils of kudzu along the edge of the road looked really ominous.  I could picture the car breaking down and the kudzu sneaking up to grab the car (and the hapless family inside), pulling it into the forest, never to be seen again!! 

I had to go touch Spanish moss when visiting Florida because it just looks fake.  It looks like the imagineers from Disney decided to add some set decorations to the trees.  That was at a botanical garden, actually, where all the succulents that love my dry back-yard were treated as rare and exotic plants!  

I didn't realize it did that. :sad:  Well now I like it a lot less. That's part of the reason I dislike kudzu -- it covers & kills everything.

Thanks for the suggestions so far, everyone. I will check into them next week when the libraries are open again.

Probably a dumb question -- but is Flufferton Abbey a place actually mentioned/used in books or are you guys using it as a general term to denote/indicate a particular type/genre of book??? (Since I don't typically read those, I wasn't sure what the answer would be...! :tongue_smilie: )

And, not to go off-topic here (you gals know I never do that :laugh: ), dh & I went to see Kevin Costner's 3 Days to Kill movie tonight. I figured it would be a Hollywood action movie (I usually like them), but this was better than I expected. I enjoyed the parent/teen interactions (because we have a sometimes-surly 15yo dd too :lol: ), plus I thought it had an interesting undertone -- Costner is portrayed as a bad dad since he pretty much abandoned his family in favor of work, but some of the other male/father characters are shown as being examples of good fathers, including a father from Africa, one from the Middle East, & (sort-of) one from Europe. I thought that was both an interesting & refreshing take that set it apart just a little bit from the stereotypical Hollywood movie.

ETA: I think the father angle is interesting since we've had so many discussions about women & the roles of women in life as seen in literature. Many action movies don't really address a 'father' angle, nor do they show examples of other cultures & how families are so important & central. That's why I thought to bring it up here....

Fullerton Abbey is a term invented here, not sure if it is just Regency period or all.  I have been reading a really good very Flufferton series with unfortunate names, extremely glad they are on my kindle! :)  They are by Sally MacKenzie.  Success of Love is the series.  I just finished Bedding Lord Ned.  Really can't carry that around with me without blushing.  

I read a good cozy recently that Stacia might like simply because the cat in it was really fun. Title was Murder Past Due,  first in the Cat in the Stacks series by Miranda James.

I enjoyed the trailer for 3 days to Kill and will make sure I see it eventually. Probably on DVD.  :lol: Not a huge move fan but like Kevin Costner quite a bit.  Not sure why but I love his No Way Out.  I watch it at least once a year.

I remember kudzu from when I lived in south Georgia. That stuff covered everything it touched.

We have Spanish moss here. It's neither Spanish nor moss, and while it doesn't kill trees in this area, it tends to grow on trees that are old or weak.

I associate Spainish Moss with being very itchy.  I know I had an awful reaction as a child to it  and haven't touched it since.  Since no one else is complaining about itching I am wondering if the bit I touched had some sort of itchy bugs or if I was just allergic.

I associate Spainish Moss with being very itchy.  I know I had an awful reaction as a child to it  and haven't touched it since.  Since no one else is complaining about itching I am wondering if the bit I touched had some sort of itchy bugs or if I was just allergic.

Sometimes chiggers (red bugs) live in Spanish moss. Their bites are legendary for the unbearable itching they cause. Growing up there were all kinds of old wive's tales about how to stop the itching. None of them worked. The most common, though useless, was to put clear nail polish on the bites. You might have had chigger bites.

We always thought that SC peach looked a bit like a large behind. :lol:

Elaine

This one? (It's in Gaffney, SC.) Yep, still there last time I drove through (which has been awhile now...). See? SC should be the peach state!

peachgaffneysc-2.jpg

South GA, otoh, has the peanut...

ashburn-ga-turner-county-interstate-i-75

:lol:

ETA: And, hey! Look at those pitch trees behind the peanut.

I enjoyed the trailer for 3 days to Kill and will make sure I see it eventually. Probably on DVD.   :lol: Not a huge move fan but like Kevin Costner quite a bit.  Not sure why but I love his No Way Out.  I watch it at least once a year.

I've always liked Kevin Costner (& never saw his Waterworld fiasco, so I guess my like for him could stay intact over the years), but I'm seriously developing a crush on him now that I'm older. He wears his age well -- mmmmmm mmmmm. Serious crush! (I may go see the movie again before it leaves the dollar theater. :blushing: :001_wub: :D )