Menu

Making and freezing bread crumbs - a quick question

Lady Florida.

I have a rather unimportant decision to make. I have some days old bread that I'm going to put in the food processor to make bread crumbs.They will be frozen for use sometime in the not too near future (IOW, I just want to have them on hand). I usually make bread crumbs the day I need them, or a day before at most. So my question - 

Does it matter if I freeze them fresh or should I dry them first? I'm wondering if they'll get freezer burn faster if they aren't dried out first. 

I usually cube the bread and put it in a zip-loc then in the freezer.  I can then either take it out and whiz it in the food processor for bread crumbs, or use it as cubes to make bread pudding or savory strata dishes.  I use the crumbs mainly to top casseroles, so they don't need to be super-dry.

I usually save bags of bread ends in the freezer so that I can decide whether or not to rip them up for bread pudding or throw them in the food processor for bread crumbs as the need arises.  It takes a long time for them to start getting freezer-burned.  If that happens (rarely), I just throw the offending slice(s) out for the chickens.