Menu

2nd grade language arts curriculum options

amyc78

I will have an advanced 2nd grader next year and I'm looking for LA curriculum for him. Right now we are finishing up AAS2 and Sonlight LA1. I love both methods (O-G for spelling and CM for LA) but I would really like a less teacher intensive program. All in one would be great but not necessary. DS is an excellent reader and likes workbooks. I love the look of First Language Lessons but it seems very teacher intensive? I really only have 2 days a week where I can devote a full 30 minutes to his LA curriculum so a program that had a couple days of open-and-go for him would be ideal. Do y'all have any suggestions? I may be looking for a program that doesn't exist :). Like I said, he is an excellent reader and we do lots of narration through our readalouds, so really I am looking for something that will focus on spelling, grammar, copy work and composition. We are also in CC so he gets plenty of memorization there. 

Thoughts? TIA!

This is not an independent LA (not sure what is for that level) but we are using both English Lessons through Literature (CM-leaning grammar program) and Reading Lessons through Literature (O-G based phonics/spelling).  The ELTL lessons are for 3 days/week.  I think your child could read and do part of it on their own.  (This would depend on the child.)  The reading/spelling program is teacher-dependent, but it doesn't take much of my time for a lesson.  This is a complete LA program - you wouldn't need anything else.  Hope you find something that works for you!

We love Christian Light Education (CLE), it is advanced and wonderful! I truly believe that it is the best L/A and Math curriculum there is. Of course not all children have the same learning style, but this is best for mine. CLE used the spiral approach and it is fairly inexpensive. Take note that it is put out by the Mennonite community and is rich with biblical references. You can find reviews here: HomeSchoolReviews.com Just search Christian Light Education.

I'll be using FLL2 with my rising 2nd grader. I don't feel it's teacher intensive at all. You do have to read the book, the child couldn't do it on their own. Honestly though, it takes us less than 5 minutes a morning to orally work on that day's lesson. 

I'll also continue with WWE. Again that isn't independent, but doesn't take long at all. 

I'm confused about why you only have an an hour a week (2 days for 30 minutes) to devote to homeschooling.  :huh:

I suppose books like Spelling Workout, Evan Moor, Easy Grammar, etc are things you could just hand a child to do...

I wouldn't necessarily *want* to homeschool a 2nd grader's language arts in that way however.

Oh I devote way more than an hour a week to homeschooling! What I said was I only have 30 minutes to devote to Language Arts instruction 2 days a week. What I meant is that after Bible, CC memory work, math, AAS, lots of readaloud time, kindergarten and AAR for his sister, special projects, art, science plus everything else a homeschooling mom does, it seems that I would not have the uninterrupted time to do some of the more teacher intensive language arts programs every day. I certainly want to be involved in his LA, its actually one of the subjects I'm most passionate about particularly writing. Thanks for all the great suggestions!

I'll be using FLL2 with my rising 2nd grader. I don't feel it's teacher intensive at all. You do have to read the book, the child couldn't do it on their own. Honestly though, it takes us less than 5 minutes a morning to orally work on that day's lesson. 

I'll also continue with WWE. Again that isn't independent, but doesn't take long at all. 

I'm confused about why you only have an an hour a week (2 days for 30 minutes) to devote to homeschooling.  :huh:

I suppose books like Spelling Workout, Evan Moor, Easy Grammar, etc are things you could just hand a child to do...

I wouldn't necessarily *want* to homeschool a 2nd grader's language arts in that way however.

I agree that both FLL & WWE are not time-consuming; however, for us it was best if it was uninterrupted time (a rare thing in most homes, I'm sure!), for two levels, for two children, etc.  I guess you could say that ELTL has stream-lined our LA.  That has been refreshing.