Menu

Need help selecting curriculum for my rising 3rd grade daughter

I posted recently about my 2nd grade daughter who is currently attending public school. She is struggling all the way around and has just been placed in RTI level 3 at school. I have requested that she be tested by the school board but they are not confident that they will get her in before the end of the year. She scored in the 10th percentile in reading and math on the Star Assessment. As a result, my husband and I have decided to homeschool her next year.

Right now, I am after schooling her using RS-A and Dancing Bears Fast Track and using xtramath for math facts. She is showing some progress. My plan is to continue with RSB and finish Dancing Bears over the summer. I am also using Elizabeth's phonics program.

I am in the process of researching for the upcoming school year. I know I will continue with RS for her and am going to do some gentle US History but other than that I am not sure. What about grammar, spelling, writing? Her spelling is very poor. The sentence she composed for her vocabulary word "confused" this past week was, I'm confused wut she sed. I have AAS on hand but LOE is intriguing. What about writing? WWW1,EIW, copywork?

I know our year will be hard because we have a lot to overcome. She is easy to work with but does get discouraged and needs a lot of encouragement. She loves art and I would love to incorporate that into our week as well so she can have a fun outlet. Any thoughts on HAS? Some gentle science suggestions would be great as well. As a teacher, I do prefer open and go and lots of hand holding.

I truly appreciate your thoughts and suggestions and will be happy to answer any questions to provide clarity of the above ramblings.

Thank you.

Off the top of my head -

Spelling -- AAS is good and, since you have it on hand, if I were you, I would go with that. I don't know anything about LOE so can't comment on that.

A fun website you might look into for phonics work is http://www.starfall.com/. (You didn't say how her reading is, but even if she's reading well, starfall would help with the spelling.

For writing: At this point I would suggest only copywork. If you feel you need more than that, I would go with either Writing With Ease (Level One) or BraveWriter's "Jot It Down."

For science, I would suggest following her interests. Library books on various science topics would be enough for her at this stage. Same with history. The key is something she enjoys.

Hope some of this helps.

Right now, I am after schooling her using RS-A and Dancing Bears Fast Track and using xtramath for math facts. She is showing some progress. My plan is to continue with RSB and finish Dancing Bears over the summer. I am also using Elizabeth's phonics program.

I am in the process of researching for the upcoming school year. I know I will continue with RS for her and am going to do some gentle US History but other than that I am not sure. What about grammar, spelling, writing? Her spelling is very poor. The sentence she composed for her vocabulary word "confused" this past week was, I'm confused wut she sed. I have AAS on hand but LOE is intriguing. What about writing? WWW1,EIW, copywork?

Thank you.

Since you use Dancing Bears, why don't you try Apples and Pears Spelling? We have had great success with it. AAS is good, too. I don't think LOE would be that different from AAS. If you go with Apples and Pears, it has dictation in it, which you can use to have her identify parts of speech. If she is still learning to read, I would hold off on any more formal grammar work.

As for writing, we love IEW.

A fun website you might look into for phonics work is http://www.starfall.com/. (You didn't say how her reading is, but even if she's reading well, starfall would help with the spelling.

For writing: At this point I would suggest only copywork. If you feel you need more than that, I would go with either Writing With Ease (Level One) or BraveWriter's "Jot It Down."

For science, I would suggest following her interests. Library books on various science topics would be enough for her at this stage. Same with history. The key is something she enjoys.

Hope some of this helps.

Oh, right, I forgot Science and History. I agree with the reading of library books. We have always dropped formal science programs and just read Let's Read and Find Out books or Gail Gibbons books or Magic School Bus. Add fun experiments if you all enjoy those.

There are lots of Am History books that would be fun to read at this level. I know you said hand holding, but if you just jot down what you want to cover and then look at Beautiful Feet, Sonlight and Winter Promise, you can come up with a booklist of books to read her. That would be gentle. David King and Laurie Carlson have project books that are fun to use if you like hands on.

Thank you for the reply. It is helpful.

With regard to her reading, it is choppy and not on grade level. She reads slowly and that impacts her comprehension greatly. She has shown some recent progress lately.

Then don't worry about formal grammar. Work with her on ideas like "every sentence needs someone or something doing something and something done" and identifying the parts of speech. If you notice subject/verb disagreement in her writing/speech, gently correct her. (And I would also advise only working on one correction per writing assignment at this point).

You might also consider Daily Language Review by Evan Moor publishing. It has sentences to edit and a little grammar, plus some other concepts. Consider going down a level. Their Daily 6 Trait Writing program has worked well for a friend of mine who needed hand holding this year.

Thank you both so much. I guess I need to relax and worry less about getting her caught up vs. getting her proficient. My son is 18 days her junior (both are adopted) and it is hard not to compare and be concerned.

Yes, pushing will just build weak foundations and not get you where you want to go.

If it helps any, remember there is a wide, wide variation of level before fourth grade. Many children who seemed "behind" catch up at this age. Think of it like walking and talking among the toddler set. My oldest was not a strong writer or speller at all in second grade (nor is/was my second son). Oldest, who is now at the end of eighth grade, writes very well. I was just commenting on a thread that what helped him the most this year was having to write one good paragraph for history each week. We still worked on essays as part of his English, but the focused paragraph work yielded the best result. Even though it's all worked out fine, I probably should have slowed down at some point and not jumped into essays because"he should be writing them by now".

Solid foundations. Solid phonics. Solid spelling. Solid sentences. Solid math facts. Send down the roots and watch her bloom.

She sounds exactly like my dd9. Her 2nd grade year was the same, and we pulled all our girls from ps at the end of school last year. Here is what I did with her.

Math: Math Mammoth 2

Reading: ETC 3,4,5 and classics read popcorn style with me. We read Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Charlotte's Web, Little House in the Big Woods, and we are currently reading The Trumpet of the Swan. She started off only reading a sentence or two at the beginning, but now is reading a page at a time.

LA: SpellWell A/Aa, FLL2, WWE2

History: Usborne History of the World, SotW1, some read alouds

Science: library books, documentaries, field trips, BrainPop Jr.

She has really come a long way. I think just slowing down and one on one time made the biggest difference. I would not say she is caught up with her age group yet, but she is confident in what she knows and is reading soooo much better. She is actually choosing to read on her own, now, which is a major victory for us. Just remember it's a marathon not a sprint.