Menu

Math curriculum/workbook advice for odd situation

trlt

I'm not sure I am posting this in the right place.  My DH's cousin's dd is in kindergarten at a public school.  She is in their "gifted program" and goes to another class for part of the day which has harder spelling words and reading than the regular classroom.  In math she is also advanced but does not go to another classroom for that and does the same work as everyone else in her regular class.  The math is too easy for her.  Her parents are upset about it but were told that the advanced class focuses on language  arts not math.  The problem is that she is bored in math and then gets in trouble because she talks and interrupts.  The cousin has talked to the teacher and they have come up with the solution that if cousin teaches her dd advanced math concepts at home and sends in worksheets/homework she will do that when the other kids are doing the regular classroom math.  I am skeptical about this whole thing because 1. it's the end of the year (6 weeks left) and 2. the poor teacher is going to have to answer questions if the kid needs questions answered and she isn't teaching the material to begin with!  But that's really not the point. 

Now that I gave the reason for the question, here is the question: 

What curriculum and/or workbooks would you suggest for this type of situation?  I don't know what to suggest to her.  We have always used singapore for my dd but I'm not sure that would be a good fit in this situation.  Any ideas?  I would be very grateful!

Math Mammoth would work well for this. She's probably ready for the grade 1 math anyway.

(This situation is one of the main reasons I'm homeschooling today... my son was bored to tears in math at school, and it was causing him to lose his previous love of math... they'd send home a 2nd grade reading textbook in K, but couldn't do anything with math for some reason)

I agree that for this situation Math Mammoth might work since a lot of the explanation is on the paper.  And specific areas can be targeted more easily than a textbook based system.  Print out the relevant pages and staple them together.  Maybe a group for each week.  And there are video based explanations if the parents are uncertain about a particular area.  Test her to see where she would fall, instead of just making an assumption.  That way critical skills aren't skipped over and she isn't still doing work below her ability.