Menu

Swimming Pool....do you own this pool??

ProudGrandma

we are considering getting this pool for our family this year....but we were wondering if it would last more than one season?  Has anybody had any expereince with this brand/type of pool. 

We have a local store selling it for $288.00....

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-15-Foot-48-Inch-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B002V1H108/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1397344452&sr=8-8&keywords=16%27+x+48+pool

We have that exact pool and we have loved it.  We have had the frame for 5 years and replaced the liner once.  The first liner lasted two seasons (with a very slow leak during the second season) but the 2nd liner has lasted three years and we will use it again this year.  The difference was in getting the salt water system.  The chemicals you have to add to keep the algae at bay are really tough on the liner.  The salt water system has been by far the best investment we made.  The water is not really salty at all, it makes your skin feel softer rather than drying it out and, best of all, we can leave town for days on end and not come back to a yucky mess. 

I also recommend the solar covers that sit right on top of the water.  The extra heating is necessary where we are but they are also much easier to use that the covers that go over the top and they won't blow off no matter how hard the wind blows.

We have had ours 4+ years. I had to patch it once because a stone from the lawn mover put a hole in it. Easy to do holds out great. Filter still works well but I had to replace the tubing, $12 easy fix.

Well work the money for us. Kids love it. Ladder is a little shaky for my liking but I don't go in much.

We have that exact pool and we have loved it.  We have had the frame for 5 years and replaced the liner once.  The first liner lasted two seasons (with a very slow leak during the second season) but the 2nd liner has lasted three years and we will use it again this year.  The difference was in getting the salt water system.  The chemicals you have to add to keep the algae at bay are really tough on the liner.  The salt water system has been by far the best investment we made.  The water is not really salty at all, it makes your skin feel softer rather than drying it out and, best of all, we can leave town for days on end and not come back to a yucky mess. 

I also recommend the solar covers that sit right on top of the water.  The extra heating is necessary where we are but they are also much easier to use that the covers that go over the top and they won't blow off no matter how hard the wind blows.

How old are your kids?  Where did you get your salt water system and how much did it cost?

I have a similar one by Intex. This one: http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Easy-12-Foot-30-Inch-Round/dp/B000OR5X1A/ref=sr_1_1?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1397352873&sr=1-1

Which is less sturdy and it's lasted 3 years so far without any problems. It had a tear in the bottom when I got the pool out last summer, but a patch fixed it and it didn't leak all summer. So I'm thinking if my cheapo Intex is about to enter year 4, the nicer one you're looking at will last as well. 

We have the 18' one. Actually it is our 2nd one. The first we got when I was pregnant with our youngest. He is 8 now. We just replaced it this last summer. We went through two liners because we left the liner crumpled by the fence while getting the ground prepped between the first and second summer and rats got into it and chewed holes. We ended up digging a hole 2' down and putting the pool in that because we couldn't get the ground level enough for it.

My two kids were 10 and 12 when we got ours.  They have used it quite a lot and it was plenty roomy for having a few friends to swim with them.  They still used it last summer at 15 and 17, might not get as much use this summer since they both have jobs but who knows.

Well, I can't get a link to paste into this post or I'd show you the system we have.  It's made by Intex and the one's I found online just now ran about $120-190.  Dh found ours for about half that but it was 3 years ago.  I really can't tell you how much it is worth it!  Much better on the swim suits than chemicals also.

Re: salt system

I have an in ground pool so I realize that is not what you are asking about, however, if you can add a saltwater system to the pool for as little as $150 or so, I would definitely recommend it. We have a salt system and we use dramatically less chemicals then a chlorine only system. I would imagine you would easily pay for the salt system (in reduced chemicals) in one summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal-Saltwater-System-7000-Gallon/dp/B00AA8AAI4/ref=pd_sim_lg_22?ie=UTF8&refRID=1DHPQA0G94EJC26KRGM5

I looked at this system, ~$120, sounds like you will need 2 bags of salt to initially set it up (around $12), and you only add more salt if a lot of water splashes out of the pool, so maybe one or two more bags all summer. Your chlorine and other costs should be much much lower then without the system if it works the same as our system.

Bonus, since the system maintains a much lower chlorine level, skin feels much better, irritation is rare, eczema flare ups often decrease, bathing suits often last longer.

, best of all, we can leave town for days on end and not come back to a yucky mess. 

we always take a huge trip in the summer...about 3 weeks....will we still come home to a icky mess...or will the salt system keep everything nice a clean for that long?

that was always a big deal with our other pools....we would ome home and the whole pool would be green...

We've owned a similar one. If you're in the US, you'll want to check the rules dor your location. For instance, our city doesn't require a permit/fence/electrical permit for pools under a certain depth.

Otherwise, definitely spend time making sure your spot is levele. When we had ours, it was a lot of fun!

We had one for a couple years, then sold it to the neighbors when our kids got too old to want to swim in the backyard and they used it for a couple years. So they are durable enough and worth the money if you figure you can get at least four- five years out of it.

we always take a huge trip in the summer...about 3 weeks....will we still come home to a icky mess...or will the salt system keep everything nice a clean for that long?

that was always a big deal with our other pools....we would ome home and the whole pool would be green...

Could you ask/pay a neighbor to come treat the pool once a week while you are gone?

We are on year five this coming summer with our 52 inch pool like that.

We have replaced the pump with a bigger one--the one that came with it was weak. all the tubing as well because of sun damage. We use Baqucil (how do you spell that????) which is not chlorine based.  Much easier on the skin and suits. We thought about salt, but since we dump it all each fall, I worried about damaging the lawn.

We put down several tarps beneath the pool to protect from small stones and other debris damaging the liner bottom. We also take the whole shebang down in the fall and store it in the garage over the winter. I have been known to put white lattice around it all to pretty it up. Lipstick on a pig....yah, maybe.

You'll note that my kiddoes are grown--this pool is for DH and I. :coolgleamA: We call it our 'cool' tub (instead of a hot tub.) We hop in there after a day's office work or several hours of gardening. Someday when we are rich and famous, we will have an inground pool. Until then, this works dandy.

If you buy a system that you can program to run for a few hours daily, possibly. You wouldn't want it to run 24/7 while you're gone though. Green is algae, which isn't just from low chlorine. You can also raise your pool's chlorine levels to shock level using regular liquid bleach before you leave and let it come down naturally. Check out the forums at troublefreepool. They have a pool calculator that will tell you how much of what to add. And lots of members with above-ground pools. :)

We haven't had our inground pool for quite a year yet, but the chemistry is fascinating. We used bleach this winter when it was too cold to run the SWG.

I think INTEX  "owns" that market. We contemplated buying one of their pools, some years ago. Some neighbors we are friendly with, about 1 1/2 blocks from us, had an INTEX pool. I forget how many years it lasted. More than I expected. In fact, I think when they bought the house, the pool was up. We live in a Tropical Valley and it was up 365 days a year, for a number of years. We live in an area with frequent thunderstorms and it probably survived many of those.  INTEX pools are sold here in Colombia.  If you buy one, have fun in the sun!  You need to prepare, carefully, the ground beneath the pool, so it is very flat and so there are no rocks, etc., under the pool.