Menu

CAP LFC and Shurley Grammar?

I saw that CAP wrote their LFC to sort of compliment Shurley Grammar.  They said that, although LFC doesn't follow exactly the same schedule, and although it does not rely on SG, it follows the same pedagogical method and it would be helpful if the student is using Shurley alongside LFC.

I was planning to finish up with FLL4 and then be lost on what to do for Grammar, but maybe instead I should use Shurley from from 5-8th grades alongside LFC,,,

thoughts?

Look at the Shurley scope & sequence compared to what you've done with FLL4.  I'm guessing you'd go into Shurley 6 or decide you don't even want to do it at all.  You might like to take a year off and do applied grammar through your writing program.  (Writing Tales 2, for instance)  Most people skip at least one level of Shurley.  As a homeschooler you can't even get 8, so you're looking at probably Shurley 6 or 7.  I have Shurley, tried to do it, didn't love.  I wanted to.  I even still have the tm.  It's just pretty different.  If you want it, pick a price you want to pay and write me.  The book is thick so throw in enough for postage.  

THanks OhElizabeth.  My dd has not done FLL 4. She did FLL for 3rd grade, and WWE. Then we used Calvert 4th grade and while her writing really took off, she forgot ALL of her Grammar! I mean, she can barely tell you the 8 parts of speech now.  If that. I also have learned this year that my dd perhaps has a mild learning issue, or just a learning style or need. She needs a LOT of systematic review and repetition for years for something to stick. She can memorize like it's nobody's business, but it will fly out the window much more quickly than other children after the fact.  She is, in her thinking and personality, a big picture person so I had made the mistake of thinking that she would not need as much of the Classical style repetition and review.  However, now that I have slowly been choosing learning programs that practice practice practice practice ad nauseum she is actually happier and learning better.

Hmmm, then sounds like she would do well with Shurley!  :)  That's why it was good for my dd, so I know what you mean.  And the way Shurley does things, when we took time off, even 6 months +, dd did not forget things.  So you're not crazy to go this way...  As far as what level, just look at the scope & sequence to decide.  Each level adds a bit more. You can do 2,4,6,7 or 3,5,7 or what have you and still be fine. You could consider getting Shurley 4 for her just as a really comfortable way to get back into it, then go to 6 the following year if the grade level thing bothers you.  Also look at WT2.  It will complement grammar at that gr 4-6 level really well, and it's a TON of fun.  Highly, highly recommend.  :)

I'll check out WT.  Thanks!  I really appreciate your thoughtfulness regarding Shurley and my dd's learning needs.  I have felt very bad this week that I didn't realize before that she was perhaps SN.  It really makes me feel  :confused1: at myself for not realizing it.  But her IQ is so high that she just constantly made up for it and compensated.  So we are moving on and not looking back.  Oddly, the ACE Word Building is one of her favorite subjects now because of all the practice.  Math has always been awesome with Horizons.  So now we just need to strengthen that building block of grammar and she will be on track for success.

I'll check out WT.  Thanks!  I really appreciate your thoughtfulness regarding Shurley and my dd's learning needs.  I have felt very bad this week that I didn't realize before that she was perhaps SN.  It really makes me feel  :confused1: at myself for not realizing it.  But her IQ is so high that she just constantly made up for it and compensated.  So we are moving on and not looking back.  Oddly, the ACE Word Building is one of her favorite subjects now because of all the practice.  Math has always been awesome with Horizons.  So now we just need to strengthen that building block of grammar and she will be on track for success.

Well you know, it's important to realize everyone hanging on the LC board has DUMB kids.  There won't POSSIBLY be ANYONE there with high IQ kids...  ;)  You know I'm being sarcastic, right?  Seriously, this is a pretty common scenario, and it's how you know there *is* something going on, because there's a discrepancy.  Come hang on LC.  You'll love it.  Nobody will look at you funny, and you might learn some things.  We finally did evals with my dd, and she turned out to have this crazy huge gap between processing speed and IQ.  There's a book Dyslexic Advantage that you might like to read even if she's not dyslexic.  It talks about recent research with MRIs and brain structures that explain *why* these kids are so bright but need more repetition to learn.  When you get info like that, it changes how you teach...