Menu

Does your local public school have a climbing wall or mountain biking classes?

Amira

Yes and yes.  There's a climbing wall at the elementary school and might be one at the middle school.  I think so, but I can't remember for sure.  Mountain biking they do as part of PE in middle school (regular PE, my son did in 6th grade PE).  I have no idea what they do PE related in high school because my daughter hasn't taken her PE credit yet and I've never been inside the gyms at the high schools.

Ok, I need to modify my response to say I'm talking about our high school when I say no.  I have no idea what's in the elementary or middle schools.

Our high school does have a fitness room with exercise bikes in it, but no mountain biking classes or clubs and there's no climbing wall except an outdoor one they bring in on a festival day in May.

I don't know about the public schools, but my kids' Lutheran elementary school has a climbing wall in the gym.  Obviously it is not very tall....  Never heard of a school having mountain bike classes.  Then again, where we live, outdoor weather isn't conducive to biking for most of the school year.  And we also don't have mountains around here....

I don't know about the public schools, but my kids' Lutheran elementary school has a climbing wall in the gym.  Obviously it is not very tall....  Never heard of a school having mountain bike classes.  Then again, where we live, outdoor weather isn't conducive to biking for most of the school year.  And we also don't have mountains around here....

LOL We don't have mountains either, but our weather is very conducive to biking (my son did the biking in *December*).  They used mountain bikes so they called it mountain biking.

In MD schools had neither climbing walls or bikes.

ETA: My son just told me he thinks the set of bikes rotates through the schools throughout the district.  They aren't always at a single school/the schools don't each have their own sets of mountain bikes. 

Climbing wall inside the gym in my district's high schools and also in other high schools we visited. Some K-8 schools have climbing walls but its random. Mountain biking no.

For my neighborhood school, kids bring their own bike for bike day which was once a year.

Pools at the high schools seems to be a California thing. I grew up in New England and never heard of any public high school having a pool. But most of the ones out here seem to (just not in my district).

I grew up in rural NY and our high school had an indoor pool.  We also had an indoor hockey arena.  They still have both.

Where I work in PA our high school does not have a pool, but most of the districts around us do.  We have a swim team, but they practice at a nearby indoor pool.  The only hockey here is field hockey.

There are elementary schools with climbing walls in them but I don't know if they all do. I'm not sure about middle and high schools. The elementary schools all have really nice big playground structures and equipment here. The high schools have a pool. The elementary schools where I grew up didn't have playgrounds. They just had a blacktop. They also didn't have pools. I wish the schools here weren't cutting teachers and giving science and history a short chaff while having fancy playgrounds. Where I grew up we didn't have the fancy playground but we had a good science curriculum and better overall scores.

Climbing wall - yes, at all levels

Mountain Biking - I'm pretty sure, but not positive that it is for all grades

Our middle schools take week long hiking trips in the mountains, and we also have professional artists in residence who do some pretty amazing work with the kids. The schools here rock. I'm kinda' sorry that it isn't a good fit for our family.

No and no.

However, it would makes sense to have them. I have learned from my neighbor that the direction of today's PE isnot to introduce students to sports they will never play again, which what happened when I was in high school. The goal toadyism to get kids involved in activities that promote fitness throughout their life. Neighbor's 23yo ds is a first year PE teacher.

Our high school offers rock climbing but for now, they use a facility off campus. That class also includes rappelling, slack lining, vertical rescue, back country search and rescue, camping, kayaking, boating, and other outdoor activities but I don't think it includes mountain biking. They do go on camping trips. Sounds fun.

The school has two pools. One is small and old, maybe from the 1950s and the other is newer and Olympic-sized. Some of the swimmers have done quite well in national competitions. A few have compete in the Olympics. I think they should add stand-up paddle boarding. It's a great workout and a lot of fun. They could practice in one of the pools.

They also offer yoga, pilates, about 10 different dance classes, golf, tennis, badminton, weightlifting, etc.

High school facilities are also open to the public at various times.

No, and in my suburb public elementary schools don't have playground equipment, and often don't have gyms. The one nearest my house has a park next to it, so some teachers have the parents do a permission form at the beginning of the year to go to the park when the weather is nice.

One reason I picked the private school DD attended for kindergarten was because it had about 250 kids total preschool-8th grade and THREE playgrounds, with two recesses a day for all grade levels through 8th. They have a small climbing wall on the elementary and preschool playgrounds.

The goal toadyism to get kids involved in activities that promote fitness throughout their life. Neighbor's 23yo ds is a first year PE teacher.

This is true here.  They do regular fitness activities of all sorts (in a "boot camp" like setting) and still teach about various sports from dodgeball to volleyball.  Archery is taught as is tennis.  But no mountain biking nor climbing wall here...

I don't believe so.  (We have 2 high schools. I've spent time in the gyms at one, but not the other.) Both high schools do have pools, which is nice. All grades get transported to one or the other for gym class for a portion of the year.

Where I grew up, very few schools had pools.

My high school (and the elementary school) uses the public pool for swimming lessons, they also use the indoor ice arena. I know some of the classes got to try curling last winter. we also have wheel chairs and they do wheel chair basketball, we have cross country skis and other cool equipment. I am really jealous of what the kids at the school get to do for PE. When I was in school all we got to do was play indoor soccer, basketball, volleyball, floorball, badminton and track and field. Except my last year when we had a young (very good looking :drool5: ) PE teacher and he let us play ultimate Frisbee